Sign in to follow this  
PixelatedDream

Not a lot of Spring left....

I realize there is a little over a month left in spring...I would figure by now we'd get SOME kind of date. I enjoy the blogs about how they made things. But I'd enjoy some sort of confirmation more. As it stands now I kind of feel like June and July are going to come and go and we still aren't going to see this so called "soft launch" or any kind of release to speak of. Of course this is coming from the company that took months to tell the Xbox 360 users that they would never get the things PC would have.

I do have to agree with Tez on this one. There are a lot of awesome ideas coming out of the woodworks, that I feel they may be adding to the game. I can't lie though, I am also a bit impatient for it to come out though. So I completely understand where your coming from. We as the community just need to remain supportive and keep them excited about making this awesome game. That is our job!

Let them work on their game. They seem to have understood what maade DDI a great game.
I'd rather play a good DDII in September than a bad now. :)

I have to agree with you BUT pixelatedDream has a point. If they are not comfortable with a spring launch then they should update their faq to TBD, season/month or 2014 launch or what year they plan to launch it.

Personally I can neither get excited nor behind a game I have seen little more than screen shots, blogs and teaser trailers of. especially when half of what I saw is no longer relevant due to not existing anymore. Additionally, I can't get past the fact that Trendy went into radio silence for months before announcing they scrapped everything. Sure the new blogs and updates make it sound amazing but so did the blogs and updates that happened before radio silence. I will feel a lot more comfortable about supporting the game once they give us something solid like a date.

seems to be alot happening over the next month, stay tuned and lets see what the gods have in store for us

(been watching too much vikings)

I have to agree with you BUT pixelatedDream has a point. If they are not comfortable with a spring launch then they should update their faq to TBD, season/month or 2014 launch or what year they plan to launch it.

That is exactly my point. I was one of the people who played Dungeon Defenders on the Xbox 360. I would have been content with just Dungeon Defenders. I would have been Jealous of all the cool thing PC players got but I would have been okay, IF they had been clean from the beginning and told the Xbox players what they were in for. But it took them months to finally tell us and it made me so angry I didn't buy the DLC and I was mad for a while. I'm over it (for the most part) now, but still very uneasy. I don't mind waiting, so they can make the game the best it can be, but I also DO mind expecting a spring launch and it be the middle of July before they say "oh yeah by the way. We missed the Spring launch because of X and X reason". I want updates. I want to know what's going on RIGHT NOW.

Probably was the whole MOBA thing that set things far back (strayed away from the original game concept).

But now they are back on track and I would rather make a good, fun game than one that is released too early with too many bugs.

I've looked at the join date of everyone that has commented so far and it doesn't appear that anyone was around when the original DD went through the exact same release teething issues. I want to make this clear, this isn't me trying to be elite or anything, just that I was here when the same thing happened with the original release. Call me old and crusty if you will :p

I totally get that making games is hard, and that Trendy are working exceedingly hard on this game to have it as good as possible for launch, but I can see remnants of days gone by with promises* that at this stage, could be broken.

I'm sure iamisom or LauraWantsaCow will chime in soon though. Hopefully the soft launch will come soon though ;)

* Promises probably isn't the right word here, but when someone says a date/date range, you may as well lock that in stone in terms of customer expectations =/

I've looked at the join date of everyone that has commented so far and it doesn't appear that anyone was around when the original DD went through the exact same release teething issues. I want to make this clear, this isn't me trying to be elite or anything, just that I was here when the same thing happened with the original release. Call me old and crusty if you will :p

I totally get that making games is hard, and that Trendy are working exceedingly hard on this game to have it as good as possible for launch, but I can see remnants of days gone by with promises* that at this stage, could be broken.

I'm sure iamisom or LauraWantsaCow will chime in soon though. Hopefully the soft launch will come soon though ;)

* Promises probably isn't the right word here, but when someone says a date/date range, you may as well lock that in stone in terms of customer expectations =/

This is pretty much my exact feelings! I played dungeon defenders since the day it came out and while I wasn't apart of these forums back then, I watched DD1 go through continuous cycles of changes and fixes to make it the great game so many people love today! Unfortunately Team Trendy might have gotten a little to antsy with their "spring" release date but I can assure you we will all get news soon enough! :) Keep the faith guys!

This is pretty much my exact feelings! I played dungeon defenders since the day it came out and while I wasn't apart of these forums back then, I watched DD1 go through continuous cycles of changes and fixes to make it the great game so many people love today! Unfortunately Team Trendy might have gotten a little to antsy with their "spring" release date but I can assure you we will all get news soon enough! :) Keep the faith guys!

I guess the point of this thread is not about the issues they encountered after release, but rather the issues they had leading up to it. Similar to the time period between March and October 2011, iirc.

I didn't join the forums until much later (Jan 2012), but I do remember playing for the first time on my Galaxy S shortly after Valentines day 2011. After the first two days, I just knew it would be best on PC and so went looking and found the forums. Lurked for a rather long time, but did keep up with everything. Seemed like it would take forever but it did. I was pretty excited when I could pre-order. So I have to agree with Mr. Old and Crusty (lol just kidding Classic - you know I love you bro). PS. Southern Hemisphere Spring is still not here yet... why is everyone so Northern Hemisphere centric?

You really can't judge how long a player has been around the community by forum join date...lurkers have and always will be a thing

They could have joined today, but have been reading through the forums for quite a while.

Well, I never believed in the spring launch date personally. My assumption would be november/december by the looks of things. And then a huge game changing update around spring of next year addressing most of the initial issues, whilst creating new issues. rinse and repeat.

i was here when dd1 came out around December 2011 and it had its bumps but iv been around since 2011. forums was not really my cup of tea shall u say at that time but i am just like u also i dont care how long it takes i would rather want a complete ready release then a rushed buged release

i was here when dd1 came out around December 2011 and it had its bumps but iv been around since 2011. forums was not really my cup of tea shall u say at that time but i am just like u also i dont care how long it takes i would rather want a complete ready release then a rushed buged release

October 2011. That's when the original DD released on console and PC. =)

Prior to that, DD existed on mobile from around December 2010.

You really can't judge how long a player has been around the community by forum join date...lurkers have and always will be a thing

But lurkers have no community input. It's also hearsay, as I can say I've been lurking since Jan 2000. Doesn't make it true.

The main point is it doesn't matter how long you've been around. Just that you contribute and share views and opinions =)

Anyway, even if the release is delayed, it'd be nice to have some news from Trendy.
I really wouldn't mind if they told us the game will come out next year, but I would mind if they tell us nothing until then.

But lurkers have no community input. It's also hearsay, as I can say I've been lurking since Jan 2000. Doesn't make it true.

The main point is it doesn't matter how long you've been around. Just that you contribute and share views and opinions =)

see i knew classic still had some great nuggets of wisdom he had been holding back all this time

There are quite a few supportive and insightful comments in this thread and I can appreciate that. I also thought I'd toss a little fuel onto the fire so to speak...;)

First off, DD2 is gearing up to be amazing. I can't go into details but I can say that I have no doubt in my mind that you will be pleased upon official release. If you've played a half-dozen betas then you have most definitely played a game worse off than DD2's pre-alpha! I'm telling you - this game is slick! For example: the artwork and animations, as you've seen through the blog posts are gorgeous, tasteful and just plain fun. The same posts are also generous and informative offers that I should mention I am thankful for.

We should all consider a few things moving forward. Trendy has undergone major staff and leadership shifts over the past year and this has huge repercussions not only within the realm of game development timelines but also down to company culture and industry image. Recently, Trendy has had painful staff adjustments. And the company openly stated that they are currently 'non-profitable'.

We have many roles in the play that is unfolding. Sometimes we are critics and at other times fans. Occasionally, we find ourselves wearing the mask of a promoter and yet in other circumstances we may be humble supporters. No matter what shoes we fill it is up to Trendy to take all of that and, just as a great dance partner would, lead or keep in step depending on the beat.

We all will see something upcoming, I can't say when, but it seems impending. It appears that they need to move toward profitability. That would be the immediate financial reality. They also need to deliver on the promises made over the past year in a way that not only keeps them in the game but sets an example for all the other studios that will have growing pains in the future. Which is why, for the sake of Trendy and the industry as a whole, we should be not only patient but supportive in this endeavour.

We should request honesty and timely communication, yes. In return what can we give? Well, some people are satisfied with the feeling that they contributed with their wallet and bought a game or some F2P transactions. I love that. But personally I plan to do more. Call me a crazy fan of DD1, I wouldn't argue. Accuse me of routing for the underdogs and wanting Trendy to become a shining example for an industry trying to mature, I will nod in acknowledgment. In any case, here are a few things I'd like to see and do over the next few months...

1) Pitch in financially through a early release steam buy-in or something similar.
2) Buy a 'Supporter Bundle' that comes with exclusive pre-release cosmetics or something else rad.
3) Watch an 'inside the studio' video to get a sense of what a day at Trendy is like now.
4) Do the above but with someone dressed up in the Apprentice costume narrating (trolling) the staff for us.
5) Read an article from various gaming news outlets following up with the culture changes.
6) See the CEO, Lead Designer, and Community Managers, etc. interviewed by an outlet like Gamasutra or the like.
7) Buy a few things from the store. Especially as its expanded.
8) Continue to provide feedback on the forums. Maybe join some skype community chats.
9) Play DD2 when its released until I get a migraine or pass out on my keyboard...

That one's the most important.

I would throw money at a video of Laura dressed up in her apprentice hat trolling the rest of the staff. :P