In Game Player to Player Market

Alright, this is a thought pulled from many other MMOs. It may or may not even be able to work with the new way that DD2 will be setup, but here it goes. What if there was a market where people could list items to sell for a certain amount of mana. Other players in different lobbies would be able to view these, purchase, or possibly even bid on auctions. I feel like this would add a very unique "economy" to the game and give players a new and exciting way to use their mana.

From a game design aspect of it, it should be easier to do with a server based game. This is simply because the items being sold will already be on the server, thus won't have to be uploaded back and forth from one console/system to another. As well as a simple check system that would sample items stats or names to verify they are not modified in any way.

Alright, this is a thought pulled from many other MMOs. It may or may not even be able to work with the new way that DD2 will be setup, but here it goes. What if there was a market where people could list items to sell for a certain amount of mana. Other players in different lobbies would be able to view these, purchase, or possibly even bid on auctions. I feel like this would add a very unique "economy" to the game and give players a new and exciting way to use their mana.

From a game design aspect of it, it should be easier to do with a server based game. This is simply because the items being sold will already be on the server, thus won't have to be uploaded back and forth from one console/system to another. As well as a simple check system that would sample items stats or names to verify they are not modified in any way.

I like this idea, also I have been thinking on ways that a gold sink could be incorporated.

So basically any item listed 5-10% of the mana would be a feel this would definitly help as a mana sink to keep prices from reaching exorbatent prices.
Also a server trading post would be very convenient and beneficial instead of opening shops, like in DD1.

-Vys

And to add on to it. If they are moving forward with the cross platforming this would be huge to sell or buy cross platform. I'm not sure that any other game has that feature in it. It may just turn this into a MMO tower defense game. I think that would be ground breaking to be honest.

There are other games that have this feature. Specifically any game out out by the company Spacetime Studios. SS has done cross platform the best in my opinion, I've had a long history with their company and I have yet to find a game that does cross platform better.

But yes, the more cross platform a game is the larger the population and therefore marketplace.

-Vys

A auctioning platform similar to ebay being implemented in DD2 to trade/sell loot sounds like an excellent idea :). only problem i see as this game is F2P others may create multiple accounts to bump up the prices of there loot being sold.

A auctioning platform similar to ebay being implemented in DD2 to trade/sell loot sounds like an excellent idea :). only problem i see as this game is F2P others may create multiple accounts to bump up the prices of there loot being sold.

Easy way to combat that is to make it so that multiple accounts from same ip's can't vote on the same item. Or maybe an easier solution would be to make it a requirement to have the mana on the account before they can bid they amount. For instance if the next bid was 50k, the account that is bidding must have at least 50k mana.

Easy way to combat that is to make it so that multiple accounts from same ip's can't vote on the same item. Or maybe an easier solution would be to make it a requirement to have the mana on the account before they can bid they amount. For instance if the next bid was 50k, the account that is bidding must have at least 50k mana.

The main problem behind that is people in DD1 who sold the most could easily have two accounts sit back and collect mana in survival mode or send it from one alt to the next.

Thing is mana can be transferred from one account to anther very easily, so possessing the required funds for bidding will be fairly easy in multiple accounts. single account bidding restriction for an ip address may pose a problem for those set of individuals who genuinely play in pairs from there own pc/laptops in the same household. i really don't know how this will work , but i hope they would implement an DD flawless ebay style platform .... would be totally awesome.

that is a great idea...

I appreciate the thumbs and the good criticism guys! I'm still trying to think of a good way to prevent self bidding an item. Although the more attention this thread gets the more the developers will want to read it haha! Keep it up guys

I think the whole bumping your own prices issue will only exist if there is a price cap, which if you played DD1 you know that a low price cap gets really irritating. The highest you can sell an item for is 600,000,000 and you can farm that much mana in 20 minutes, and it results in people finding other things that work as currency(coal, cubes, chickens, etc). So I think not having a price cap works just fine as long as there is not super-rare ult++ type gear that sells for trillions of mana and only drops once every 40 hours of gameplay(lab runs really).

Yes I know there are a lot of references to DD1 but in short don't make a price cap and don't make super random RNG loot!

I really would rather not spend 10 dollars plus on gear as people would charge in dd1 a while back. And truthfully its starting to seem that we are going to auction our gear for RL money and if I recall that didn't work out for Diablo 3. Truthfully, it sounds like P2W from the sounds of of it Going from low myth gear was difficult, if I was lucky I could get a couple nice players who would let me in on survival, kings game or higher level and I still didn't get above 1k gear until much later and I preordered the game and got the TF2 pets that were more about status then being useful. I did love my mechanic I felt that the pets never scaled to the players stats appropriately. I felt like it should have been a big perk more than a status.

Some good suggestions but as others have stated the prevention system still wouldn't be too hard to circumnavigate. As for additional ideas I've got nothing. ISP blocking could work but what about VPNs and players that play under the same roof?

Having said that I definitely like the in game player market idea. However I would want the currency to stick to mana/in game items. Leave the RL money for purchasing cosmetics etc from the online Trendy store.

Some good suggestions but as others have stated the prevention system still wouldn't be too hard to circumnavigate. As for additional ideas I've got nothing. ISP blocking could work but what about VPNs and players that play under the same roof?

Having said that I definitely like the in game player market idea. However I would want the currency to stick to mana/in game items. Leave the RL money for purchasing cosmetics etc from the online Trendy store.

If they are purchasing in the same house I am sure it would be a rare situation and probably could communicate hey do you want this item? if they are playing together.

Good idea and good criticism so far. I agree with Baxter on the "Leave the RL money out of this". I hate pay to win.
I kinda liked the shops you could browse in DD1, but it is inefficient. So lets do this :D

This is a good idea, BUT there are many risks associated with it...
However, I would love to see something like this using the existing steam market that is used for TF2, CSGO ect.

Yeah when I originally created this thread, I had absolutely no intention of making this a Pay with real money auction. And I agree with most of the people who posted on this thread, I don't think that should happen. That would make this a weird version of pay to win. And nobody likes pay to win.

Yeah when I originally created this thread, I had absolutely no intention of making this a Pay with real money auction. And I agree with most of the people who posted on this thread, I don't think that should happen. That would make this a weird version of pay to win. And nobody likes pay to win.

Perfect summarization of the topic. I would also like to see this feature.

-Vys

Over all this idea is great but i don't see any way to prevent people from push up the price high... Maybe put a limit of price ?
Like also the idea of server-side (would be a mess otherwise...)
I think aslo that if this idea were implemented it has to be a specific team to take care of this eBay clone :)
You guys are crazy... (and I like it ;))

I know it's not so much an Issue as it is a concern from what I've seen in other games that had AH style systems, take for example Diablo III the AH system (not including the Real Money AH) was not in line with how Blizzard felt the game should be played. It was all about finding those awesome items in game, and not so much about farm 300 million gold and buy your way to victory. Now is that to say that's the case with DD2 no, but i think it should be considered, it'll be easy to farm mana to the point you can turn around and buy your way to victory.

Guild Wars 2 has a pretty good auction system. As time goes on it's almost impossible to keep out price creep, the cost of things will go up because people keep gaining more wealth. With DD2 it's a different situation because it will be more difficult to balance the cost of things as people keep earning more wealth without much to remove that wealth. GW1 was a game that had no economic considerations so the streets flooded with currency until an alternative currency had to be adopted, an in-game item that was relatively difficult to get. In GW2 they thought about how to remove wealth from the game without making it a terrible drag. From what I can tell DD2 won't have a complex crafting system or repair fees so removing wealth falls on trading with other players, buying new items, and upgrading items. That will take some balancing and will have to be adjusted as time goes on to keep removing wealth. Expect to see some updates to the upgrading and modification system.

Another way to remove in-game wealth is currency conversion. In GW2 you can convert in-game gold to gems that work in lieu of real money to purchase certain items. I can see DD2 using a similar system to convert mana to another currency to buy things like account upgrades, map packs, skins, or other content. I don't have a problem with that, when it's properly managed it allows players to pay for new content or character customization by playing the game, and the cash option allows players to make up time they can't spend in-game in ways that don't destroy the game completely. That's a delicate balance, though, and there would be critics no matter how it is handled.

Guild Wars 2 has a pretty good auction system. As time goes on it's almost impossible to keep out price creep, the cost of things will go up because people keep gaining more wealth. With DD2 it's a different situation because it will be more difficult to balance the cost of things as people keep earning more wealth without much to remove that wealth. GW1 was a game that had no economic considerations so the streets flooded with currency until an alternative currency had to be adopted, an in-game item that was relatively difficult to get. In GW2 they thought about how to remove wealth from the game without making it a terrible drag. From what I can tell DD2 won't have a complex crafting system or repair fees so removing wealth falls on trading with other players, buying new items, and upgrading items. That will take some balancing and will have to be adjusted as time goes on to keep removing wealth. Expect to see some updates to the upgrading and modification system.

Another way to remove in-game wealth is currency conversion. In GW2 you can convert in-game gold to gems that work in lieu of real money to purchase certain items. I can see DD2 using a similar system to convert mana to another currency to buy things like account upgrades, map packs, skins, or other content. I don't have a problem with that, when it's properly managed it allows players to pay for new content or character customization by playing the game, and the cash option allows players to make up time they can't spend in-game in ways that don't destroy the game completely. That's a delicate balance, though, and there would be critics no matter how it is handled.

Yeah, I don't think 2 types of money is that good... because we getting slower to a P2W game (And it's also confusing).
I think kepping 1 money is good (mana or something esle). I think we should also considering the facts that people can exchange items with items which get out a little bit of this eBay clone that we are talking about...

Yeah, I don't think 2 types of money is that good... because we getting slower to a P2W game (And it's also confusing).
I think kepping 1 money is good (mana or something esle). I think we should also considering the facts that people can exchange items with items which get out a little bit of this eBay clone that we are talking about...

Level locks remove some of the P2W and makes it difficult to just pay for a character (which DD1 does already), but P2W is an issue that exists largely outside of this system. P2W really happens when developers add items that can be bought with real money that can't be feasibly attained through in-game means, so if they had a cash shop and only sold top tier weapons and armor for real money. Offering cosmetic items or account upgrades is popular instead of items with actual stats. If it's a convertible currency that evens the playing field; people that play the game can get anything they want that is offered in the game and people that don't play so much can make up time and still customize their character or game account. Separation of real currency and in-game currency means you exclude players that don't want to spend more real money and/or players that don't commit large chunks of time from getting everything they want. Convertible currency allows everyone to get everything in the game the way they want

In terms of trade if people can convert real money to in-game currency the overall economy will be stimulated. Items will move faster, people that don't want to grind can pay to skip or partially skip that if they want, but they still have to work their way to being able to use those items in the first place. In the case of GW2 the most prestigious items can be bought outright with currency conversion, but it's about $600 to do so, which is prohibitively expensive. Items with very good stats in GW2 also have retained much of their worth as time has gone on, so currency conversion doesn't necessarily devalue in-game currency.

For the studio that means more money coming in without having to actually create new content all the time. It creates more dedicated players and strengthens the game economy. At this point I think with the F2P model currency conversion like GW2 is already in, we just don't know it yet.

For most people currency conversion is a boost, it helps them get to a goal, but it doesn't remove the process of getting to that goal. Very few people are dedicated or impatient enough to outright buy what they want, but some do and they help us by paying the box price (or what would have been a box price) many times over. For me I would like the option to buy expansions or cosmetic items without having to pay real money. What's better than paying for content in a game you like by playing the game you like? It makes for a more involved player and funds the game through the people that are willing to fund it.

Well Krazzar, unfortunately I don't believe your idea is going to work. The reason being, Trendy has already mentioned on multiple occasions that they aren't going to P2W. This one the of the reasons I like the Trendy team and want to help as much as I can. So I highly doubt there will be a real world cash conversion. If there was a cash conversion, it would simply turn DD2 into a tower defense version of LoTRo, or Rift. As much as I enjoy these games, I hate the fact that can't unlock items using in game currency.

I also agree with x1QG1x on this one, I believe any form of 2 different currencies will be redundant and useless. I'm not saying this to be mean, so please don't take it that way. Although, that was one of the unique things to DD1 is that mana was the currency for everything! I thought that was a really cool idea, and should be brought through on DD2 as well.

Level locks remove some of the P2W and makes it difficult to just pay for a character (which DD1 does already), but P2W is an issue that exists largely outside of this system. P2W really happens when developers add items that can be bought with real money that can't be feasibly attained through in-game means, so if they had a cash shop and only sold top tier weapons and armor for real money. Offering cosmetic items or account upgrades is popular instead of items with actual stats. If it's a convertible currency that evens the playing field; people that play the game can get anything they want that is offered in the game and people that don't play so much can make up time and still customize their character or game account. Separation of real currency and in-game currency means you exclude players that don't want to spend more real money and/or players that don't commit large chunks of time from getting everything they want. Convertible currency allows everyone to get everything in the game the way they want

In terms of trade if people can convert real money to in-game currency the overall economy will be stimulated. Items will move faster, people that don't want to grind can pay to skip or partially skip that if they want, but they still have to work their way to being able to use those items in the first place. In the case of GW2 the most prestigious items can be bought outright with currency conversion, but it's about $600 to do so, which is prohibitively expensive. Items with very good stats in GW2 also have retained much of their worth as time has gone on, so currency conversion doesn't necessarily devalue in-game currency.

For the studio that means more money coming in without having to actually create new content all the time. It creates more dedicated players and strengthens the game economy. At this point I think with the F2P model currency conversion like GW2 is already in, we just don't know it yet.

For most people currency conversion is a boost, it helps them get to a goal, but it doesn't remove the process of getting to that goal. Very few people are dedicated or impatient enough to outright buy what they want, but some do and they help us by paying the box price (or what would have been a box price) many times over. For me I would like the option to buy expansions or cosmetic items without having to pay real money. What's better than paying for content in a game you like by playing the game you like? It makes for a more involved player and funds the game through the people that are willing to fund it.

Right... So basicaly you want to have some cosmetic items paied with real-money AND the access to buy them with in game money (at a highter level or price of course) ?