Kickstarter for the "Final Push of DD1"

Okay, first of all, sorry for the double post, but I think my original post will get swamped by other comments. So I made a new OP.

The new CEO asked the community about Kickstarter. Which is really interesting. Especially considering the so-called "final push" for DD1 which Ice started quite some time ago.

Simply put: Fixing bugs costs a ridiculous amount of time and money. We want the bugs fixed. So what do we do?

We put our money where our mouth is.

Basically: Please make a final DLC/update on DD1 and finance it by kickstarter. I would be the first one to donate 20$ right away.

Most important would be stretch-goals like this:

10k $: Event appreciation mod: all the Event items for each player for open (!) mode.
20k $: Fix all bugs for Crystalline Dimension.
40k $: Fix all bugs for all of the Eternia shards maps.
60k $: Fix lag issues for most maps...
100k $: add a new map.

and so on and so forth.

Before I get hate for putting ridiculously high stretch goals out there. They aren't too high, If anything, they are too low. Fixing bugs is very expensive both in terms of time and manpower.

What do you guys think of this idea?

No I wouldn't pay for anything more in DD1, as I don't think I will be playing it once DD2 comes out.

-Vys

I highly doubt you would reach those levels but I also doubt it would cost that much to address some of these bugs. Several items have been addressed by people like crzyrndm and grey-1 in older posts and they provided the code or know it would not require much to fix. These included the RNG rolloever fix, mana bank up to 2 billion and weapons with 1 ammo not able to be upgraded.

I agree that lag and some other fixes could take a little more time though. While I might give some to fix it, many do not have the money to sink into a game they have already invested in. If some do have the money they could just be waiting for DD2.

Overall it is not a bad idea but when you are at the final phase of a game, it is not an easy sell.

I don't want to pay anything more than what i already paid for DD, and i don't see why i should... those bugs should have been fixed way earlier, this is not like they all came with the last game update...
And seeing how many active players are remaining, i highly doubt you'll be any close to those values. I may be ok to pay for a lsat update but for not much than one DLC honestly... and 100k for a new map really ? There is already plenty of good maps on Open, i don't see any reason to need 100k to move them to ranked Oo

Agreed with mkjo, but only if it included significant fixes to issues that make the game occasionally unplayable (rather than quality of life stuff). E.g. CD mana bomb + tinkerer lag

we already payed for this game, we shouldn't have to pay for fixing broken parts of it. a new map, i'd pay for, afterwards, not donate infront in the hopes it reaching 100k.

So I’m not really sure you understand what you’re asking Trendy to do. Right now they are smack dab in the middle of the DD2 project life cycle. The company has a particular number of assets to do the work. Taking an asset or many off that project will cause delays as well as the developer needs to drop everything he is doing, get into the mindset of the DD1 code base, make the changes, regression test to make sure there are no new bugs and everything works the way it did + the fixes, push the patch out and then dump his brain and get back into the DD2 mindset. Having programmed for many years this is not something the company should do at this time with any of its assets. I know you want to make some improvements to DD1 to call it finished, but in the eyes of Trendy it is finished and they really should move on and learn from what was left undone in your eyes.

What you’re describing is what we call gold plating in programming. Its where a developer has the urge to want to put in more bells and whistles than are needed to make the product work, often times in gaming this is performance or minor bugs that are really not show stoppers. Unfortunately i think that's what you have here, and I don't think that a small amount that a KS campaign would bring in would be worth it to the company to attempt the polish you want. I’m voting No, but the "it’s not worth my money part" is totally off base, I would give money if I felt it could actually make a difference. At this point DD1 is what it is and just look forward to DD2 and hope it does not have the issues you talked about above.

I don't think that the goals are good enough, and I don't feel that trendy would do anything for under 50k.

If amends are made though, I would seriously consider paying money for "good" bug fixes.

@loxp: I made the poll options a bit polarized to make things easier.

And I don't consider it "Gold plating". The bugs in Crystalline Dimension are bad enough they made two of my friends stop playing the game. That's the definition of a showstopper in my opinion.

@loxp: I made the poll options a bit polarized to make things easier.

And I don't consider it "Gold plating". The bugs in Crystalline Dimension are bad enough they made two of my friends stop playing the game. That's the definition of a showstopper in my opinion.

Well CD was a DLC that was released after the main game and you dont have a problem with the mana bomb when using other chars besides the jester or apprentice. The platform glitch does not occur very often for me and could fall into the "corner case" category. However it is definitely frustrating at times when you spend so much time going through the map and crashes at the end.

allot of the problems that should be fixed IMO were created by them pushing the game beyond its original "insane' design limits
and I will not pay to fix dlcs I already paid for
as for the other problems they have been here since the beginning and should have been fixed long ago before they moved on

The platform glitch appears if you build a tower right after it moves up and if you stay to close to Old One and got blocked by him at least my experience and the way I was able to reproduce it.

Don't build, not even a trap. Stay away from Old One (and/or Enemies) if the platform moves. Probably it has also to do with client-host issues as in I was only able to reproduce it on multiplayer matches.

IMO I would ditch dd2 And PUMP out updates for dd1 But Then DD2 all the work that has gone into and money would be a "waste" But dd1 is still an amazing game And who has to play "The latest" games I still play cod 4 and that like 5 years old idk But yeah feel free to hate on me...

DD1 is definitely worth continuing to play. DD2 will reach some of the same players and some new ones. Plus it gives trendy a chance to address issues that couldnt be fixed in DD1.

I think kickstarter is a good idea and many would help out. I just didnt think it would reach the listed levels.

No I wouldn't pay for anything more in DD1, as I don't think I will be playing it once DD2 comes out.

-Vys

I second the Vysinator on this one, I won't be playing much if any DD1 once DD2 comes out.

So,

three things to adress:

1) A bug "only" appearing in multiplayer... I'm a solo man myself, but come on, this game was meant from start to finish to be played by a group of people with different characters. So Trendy does a big disservice to all those player playing in groups, which was their intended audience.
Needs to be fixed.

2) The recently "people are stealing/duping&disappearing my equipment bug" is enough of a showstopper to worry people who are very excited about DD2 and couldn't care less about ongoing support for dd1. More than enough reason for an update, I'd say.
Refer to: http://forums.dungeondefenders2.com/showthread.php?113802-I-am-a-bit-speechless

3) I myself have played DD2 (as it is currently) and it is never going to replace DD1 for me. Its a nice game, and fun as well, but it doesn't yet(!) capture my attention and my love as the first one did. A few people feel similarly.

I wouldn't pay for a dlc for bug fixes, it's trendy's job to fix them but they are working on DD2 which no doubt has bugs itself so i'm just going to hold out until DD2 which hopefully won't have to may bugs