Chatbox/Shoutbox Function

I suggest the implementation of a chatbox for the forums. This would give a quicker way to chat with long time forumers and the ocational member who logs on. It also may prevent the addition of posts in forums on certain topics that may now be discussed in the chatbox. It has been a neat function I have enjoyed in forums I've been a part of in the past. Some forums examples that have them are:

http://www.fort-aspenwood.com
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/forumdisplay.php?98-Arcane-Legends

-Vys

We had a chatbox at one point back in the original incarnation of the forums, but it was being abused. We could potentially bring it back, but we haven't had an overwhelming outcry from the community to bring it back.

We had a chatbox at one point back in the original incarnation of the forums, but it was being abused. We could potentially bring it back, but we haven't had an overwhelming outcry from the community to bring it back.

I think Vys makes this suggestion because a couple of forum posters have gotten annoyed with us as of late for basically talking/discussing various stuff (such as my stream) on the forums which artificially bumps the thread. This would help to alleviate some of that somewhat topic-less chatter that occurs on occasion.

Yeah we are just using a steam chat group for some of the DD2 councillors at the moment. MAinly just to try to find people who are online or looking for people to play with but it might help on here too.

We could start it off with DD2 councillors online and then see how we go?

Yeah we are just using a steam chat group for some of the DD2 councillors at the moment. MAinly just to try to find people who are online or looking for people to play with but it might help on here too.

We could start it off with DD2 councillors online and then see how we go?

This is actually a pretty good suggestion. My only concern is that the councilors will be mature about the whole thing while it still could be abused when it transitions to the entirety of forum users.

I can beleive it was being abused. I would still love to see it come back though. I'm sure with people who are on regularly to moderate, that it would be within good use.

I think Vys makes this suggestion because a couple of forum posters have gotten annoyed with us as of late for basically talking/discussing various stuff (such as my stream) on the forums which artificially bumps the thread. This would help to alleviate some of that somewhat topic-less chatter that occurs on occasion.

Correct.

-Vys

Well I can believe it would be abused. Ive seen plenty of website where shoutboxes were installed and hell broke loose.
Moderating a forum is hard enough, a shoutbox just gets out of control too quickly I feel. But start off as councilor only would make it manageable (from what I call my own experience).
When switching to the entire forum, maybe only give access after a certain amount of months active or some form of check that someone is not an ..... abusive forum person....

Well I can believe it would be abused. Ive seen plenty of website where shoutboxes were installed and hell broke loose.
Moderating a forum is hard enough, a shoutbox just gets out of control too quickly I feel. But start off as councilor only would make it manageable (from what I call my own experience).
When switching to the entire forum, maybe only give access after a certain amount of months active or some form of check that someone is not an ..... abusive forum person....

You could make a system where if someone was reported 3-5 times they got temporarily muted for a day or 2 and if they got reported 10-15 times they got banned permanently(or for a few weeks).

You could make a system where if someone was reported 3-5 times they got temporarily muted for a day or 2 and if they got reported 10-15 times they got banned permanently(or for a few weeks).

Yes it realy wouldn't be hard to implement a system where it could be well monitored.

-Vys

Yes it realy wouldn't be hard to implement a system where it could be well monitored.

-Vys

The biggest problem with this though would be the possibility of false reports. I hate to believe that people in this community would do that but it's possible.

The biggest problem with this though would be the possibility of false reports. I hate to believe that people in this community would do that but it's possible.

I was too lazy to write it out :/ but there would have to be a link to the line of text flagged with enough evidence to prove it(or a valid pic of the conversation if the person was typing in bits) and a warning that multiple false reports could get you banned from the chat box.

I was too lazy to write it out :/ but there would have to be a link to the line of text flagged with enough evidence to prove it(or a valid pic of the conversation if the person was typing in bits) and a warning that multiple false reports could get you banned from the chat box.

Ahh gotcha! That makes more sense.

Yah, I thought of this also, i just didn't want to say it... I needed a devils advocate to help me.

My hero! *swoons*

-Vys

A chat system would be very convenient. I'd much rather that then have to message someone who I can clearly see is online only to wait 15 minutes to get a response.

[HR][/HR]

Bring it back for the council first (pretty please) and if it works out move on from there. I find it hard to imagine council users mucking about in chat if they risk losing their council seat.

Nice idea.

well i think once DD2 has a proper lobby system the chatbox wont be needed its more a temporary solution to help us find other players to play with

A chat system would be very convenient. I'd much rather that then have to message someone who I can clearly see is online only to wait 15 minutes to get a response.

[HR][/HR]

Bring it back for the council first (pretty please) and if it works out move on from there. I find it hard to imagine council users mucking about in chat if they risk losing their council seat.

Nice idea.

Yes yes, at least bring it back to the council side for us to test out. You can then get a couple of the council members who use it correctly and often to moderate it when you release it to the general public.

-Vys

I just thought of one problem, the game is F2P so if a person who just wanted to grief other people got banned they could just keep creating new accounts, unless the IP address was banned but.. that has other issues if there are multiple people on the same internet. Any solutions?

Yes yes, at least bring it back to the council side for us to test out. You can then get a couple of the council members who use it correctly and often to moderate it when you release it to the general public.

-Vys

Yeap at least for the defense coucilior... But they can also let other people watch the chat (wihout the right to write (this sentence sounds cool)). I dunno about banned people thought, If this think happen there has to be moderator all the time...

I just thought of one problem, the game is F2P so if a person who just wanted to grief other people got banned they could just keep creating new accounts, unless the IP address was banned but.. that has other issues if there are multiple people on the same internet. Any solutions?

Teach your brother/relatives on how to be respectful so that you don't get his consequences...

-Vys

Teach your brother/relatives on how to be respectful so that you don't get his consequences...

-Vys

I'm thinking playing on a public network...

I'm thinking playing on a public network...

I am not sure why you would play on a private network. Are you a college student living in a dorm? I do understand that an IP ban could have some negative consequences on the rest of said person's family as well but I don't feel like this should even be an issue as I doubt Team Trendy is going to go around IP banning people like crazy.