Sign in to follow this  
Serenati

Put a time limit on how long someone must wait before kicking you out of their game!

[SIZE=4][COLOR="[[309,hashtags]]"]Look, I don't cause trouble. I don't mess with anyone and I just want to play games with others online.
But Dungeon Defenders has a serious issue with players (probably little kids, to be honest) immediately kicking someone from their game, for no apparent reason.
There are PRIVATE matches for a reason! If you don't want to play with random people online, either utilize those, or play local only.
It drives me nuts and is very frustrating as an online player not to be able to play with anyone else online because they kick you out the moment you enter.
So basically, don't allow players to kick out other players right away. Enforce a time limit, and maybe even have to provide a reason (so you can track how often this is happening), or better yet, don't allow people to kick from a PUBLIC game.
If necessary, you can mute or block players, so the need to kick from a public game is not really necessary - though I know there are those out there who may push that reasoning to it's limit. Perhaps the games could be randomly monitored by a Game Moderator and only THEY will have the power to kick, if they see bad behavior?
Plenty of ideas/suggestions here guys, I'm begging that you please consider this.
Thanks for your time!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

If you are getting kicked from every game you join then more than likely there is a reason beyond people randomly kicking you (which will also happen unfortunately). You need to make sure you join a game with a proper, well geared character especially for NM games.

If you are getting kicked from every game you join then more than likely there is a reason beyond people randomly kicking you (which will also happen unfortunately). You need to make sure you join a game with a proper, well geared character especially for NM games.

I'm sorry that people do this. But maybe its just that they didn't mean to make a public game. Or that they are waiting for a friend. No matter how long your time limit is for not getting kicked, you are going to get kicked if thats what he/she wants. Maybe, it is your gear. I suggest that you read this guide. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196704955 it was written by pew pew pew and it really indepth explains what you need for NM on each and every character.

You may( probably not) have an offensive name that the host does not like. Always go into games with your highest level character(best geared). I hope this helped, getting kicked was a problem for me before i had 2-3k stats. But now i'm in the 4-6k stat range with all the right gear and the right chars. If you keep getting kicked, add me and ill run some maps that you have trouble getting into. :) also check out ddfrbr they also do free runs for the community to help.

Have a good day :)

Having someone come in and immediately start selling your towers to troll you and you can't kick him for 30 seconds? Sounds aweseome....

Go read my guide on steam on not getting kicked. It's one of the top guides on the steam content for Dungeon Defenders.

I actually stumbled upon sometime in the past week. There a lot of good points in there. It would have been nice to have had that guide available back when I started playing, I'm sure I would have been a lot less of a nuisance to people.

That said, even as an experienced player it is always important to keep in mind the behavior that other players are expecting from you.

It sounds like you are doing anything wrong unknowingly.

MrJTMoney99 and draemn mentioned it already, you may want to read some guides to lower the risk of being kicked.

for some of us private is bugged our friends cannot join or if they loose connection can not get back in even with invites and hide a game is also bugged some times it will not let you show your game again until you return to tavern

so some of us have to run public game or risk getting stuck with a bugged game that friends can not join or return to if dropped

I have had similar problems with public games, it is unfortunately pretty common practice to kick people out too easily. Last time I was building Sky O'Love map and I was kicked out. The host somehow thought that I was killing the gender pairs though I was not :) It is also pretty easy to get kicked out just because your build is not familiar to the host. Or then the host stops the run as soon as the crystal gets a little damage... Lots of hosts who don't know what they are doing also out there :)

I mostly do hosting myself because of the problems I have had in random games. I don't kick out other players and if the players cause problems, I try to explain what is happening and what to do differently. If the run fails because a player causes ogre to attack a crystal etc. we will just try the map again after a little reflection on what happened. So, there should be ok hosts and players out there. It just takes a little time to find the right group :)

I rarely kick someone unless I need people with good stats or forgot to put a game private. I kicked someone yesterday for that reason, sorry I was farming and it was set to private before not sure what happened. Most of my builds when I am public don't matter what someone has for stats. I will always kick for the following reasons though:

Hitting 'g' while I am building. This is the first reason to upset, and any builder will agree.
Standing on the crystal while on NM and you go afk. (did this to someone on my friends list. Upset me they would take off and be next to the crystal. I let it stay but once the crystal got hit they got booted)
Standing next to the place to change characters when switching characters and you run off with the mana.

Those are the biggest reasons to kick someone. After that there are other reasons people mentioned:

Low stats, crystal dimension, Akatiti, or boss rush among some others require decent stats. I could solo boss rush but some people do not like people joining with low resistance. If you get kicked there its your fault. Also I see a lot of level 75+ characters that do not have a matched set of armor. I know they will do nothing for me. Usually I like to help them others just would rather kick them.

Also as others stated your waiting for a friend to join you have to make a game public. So that could be a reason to kick someone you don't know.

Top reasons for a boot up the backside -

- Bad gear, when the hosts want someone who can help and you join with -res and a mismatched set then thats an insta-kick. Refer to darmens guide on how to be helpful in pretty much any nm scenario.
- Level can be an indication of this, but pros know that lvl isn't everything, so this is an inconsistent kick.
- People waiting for friends, will kick randoms.
- People who hosted the game on open by accident, will kick.
- People who close a shop, will kick players.
- Be polite, I for one kick people for not saying hi and making conversation. Even if I host a game specifically for newer players, I'd kick people who join and go silent.
- Dont play with douchey people LOL.
- Sometimes worth massaging the ego of the host, some players like the recognition. Sometimes its painful, but power through.
- Htting G to fast [courtesy of uta]
- Not listening to host
- Standing at the forge gormlessly, while the host is trying to drop mana for his/her other builders [courtesy of uta]

Thats probably about it. :x
Have fun!
Also, join the freerunsgroup, you'll learn a lot about the game.

I can relate to this is some degree. Although I also am on the other side of the fence. I love hosting games to have control over kicks, although I will only kick one type of player. Modder. Yes, that's right. Now of course I'm currently playing on console so it's a bit different, but people that join my game with any type of modded item/stat earn an instant kick. I'm not claiming that you cheat or mod. Although I have ran into quite a few people who tend to throw a fit for getting instantly kicked; yet continue to actively mod.

I only kick people from my game I'm hosting if they go over my buffs or stand on or too close to crystals. The only other reason is if they have obvious mega modded and/or hacked gear, weapon. Other than that I don't kick too often. However, I tend to be one of the nicer people maybe in those regards. If I feel like playing a map alone I will only kick if I haven't hid the match yet ; but I immediately always hide the match if I just want to solo a map so others know that when I don't hide it that I want people to join.

I hate it when people join my nm games but they randomly press G when I didn't even start to build yet. There should be a full on tutorial on how to play the game right. The original one that was provided from the start of the game is out dated and should up date with the "don't press G if there is no towers build" cause clearly people don't have common sense anymore. Also the public games are suppose to be a laid back kind game so everyone can kind of relax and do random builds. There should be a button that lock other players from building/selling and let the host build if he wants to.

I hate it when people join my nm games but they randomly press G when I didn't even start to build yet. There should be a full on tutorial on how to play the game right.

Well, accidents happen too. I mostly use social pressure to taunt the player with sentences like:"Oh, man, you just killed us all! Game over man, gamer over... :)" The main thing is to make the player understand what went wrong, so that the thing does not happen again so easily. By kicking the player, the same could happen again in the next game. I also point the player to forums and give links to guides.

Sometimes I also take the pressing of G too early as a challenge, and try to beat the next wave anyways :)

I tested the kicking ratio and noticed that I got kicked out of all the games I tried to join during last three days. No reason was given why. I created a new jester to upgrade defences and was level 78. My main stats were around 2000+. This is really bad. I will just block all communication with all players who kick people for no reason as I see this apropriate. I just hope that some of the host read this forum and understand that when the real tough challenges come ahead, they might need help themselves...

Haha, I know that feeling especially if you are playing with 'low' stats. I joined games which were hosted by people who was looking for help (building and dps).

Especially I got kicked with my low 2k DPS stats on games which were named like 'Need DPS'. Stats are so overrated, they walk around with much higher stats than 2k and still need help BUT they only want help from people who reaches 4-5k :D Funny story: I got much more kicked due to my low level because we all known that you are in need of Level 90+ characters . Even better if you are Level 100 because this makes you a 'pro' :/

Another story is the building part, some players are open for low stat builds and they are always surprised that it works smoothly but others starting to insult you because you are either a hacker or plain dumb if you want to do some maps with 2k. Hell, they have 3-4k stats and still haven't any clue about the game.

Those people got carried way to often, farmed Lab Assault and never played the base game. :D

Its true though, all that will happen is people will run around and delete towers.

Its true though, all that will happen is people will run around and delete towers.

That would be me... I would so remove your tower if I saw you building with 2k stats. I get the point though yes there are 2k builds that work. I would love to see a 2k build survive on akatiti with 4 people playing. It won't happen I promise because I use the build with my 5k stats. Its rare for it to work with 4 people unless you have a good boost monk. Either way I can see that people would remove players with 2k stats. Of course I have yet to see someone build with 2k stats on my games. I think whole argument is sort of mute though. Personally if I see someone with non matched gear that is higher level I might kick. Its usually a sign they don't know what they are doing. If someone joins and they are level 75+ with matched gear they probably know what they are doing. Either way I mostly solo. When I create public games they are places I know well enough. That way it doesn't matter what others do or what equipment they have. If I do a public map though on winter wonderland, Akatiti or some of the tougher maps you better know what your doing. That is just how it works. If you are a friend on my list or open to discussion I would help anyone through any map. I might even give you a set to help you out. That is just the way I play.

Well stat wise problems are one thing, but people would just delete towers for the sake of a good old fashioned troll session.

And ofc, 2k stats can handle a lot of maps when companied with experienced players. Even CD can be done with 2.5k stats if you have the knowhow.

CD was always playable with 2.5k stats. CD got released as 2.5k was already the 'creme de la creme', capping myths were rare, op accessories doesn't exists and op tower weapons (600 in one stats and good sites) were hard to get. ;)

Akatiti is actually a very simple map. Pretty sure it can be done with 2k stats and 4 active mid-tier players which are boosting by turns. Hence Kings Game with 1500 stats was also possible. You need to block Ogres and that is so easy in Akatiti by building just 2 Gas Traps. The run will take forever but you would beat it :)

Recently people are joining my games and they are replacing my towers o.O Of course not asked before and often with less Tower health than my towers :D Yesterday a guy replaced my 'weak' Minions because he had 4k dmg meanwhile I've had 2.4k(?, don't know the exact stats as in I've used my hybrid heroes :) , however). Some minutes later we have lost and he accused my weak auras/buff beams :)

I think he was new because he had no idea that tower health is important too. He had slightly over 1k tower hp for a summoner. :D

Recently people are joining my games and they are replacing my towers o.O Of course not asked before and often with less Tower health than my towers :D Yesterday a guy replaced my 'weak' Minions because he had 4k dmg meanwhile I've had 2.4k(?, don't know the exact stats as in I've used my hybrid heroes :) , however). Some minutes later we have lost and he accused my weak auras/buff beams :)

I think he was new because he had no idea that tower health is important too. He had slightly over 1k tower hp for a summoner. :D

I don't care how much better my towers might be, I would never presume to replace the host's towers without asking first. And I probably wouldn't even ask until we try his setup first and it failed.

I don't care how much better my towers might be, I would never presume to replace the host's towers without asking first. And I probably wouldn't even ask until we try his setup first and it failed.

That would be a great reason for them to kick you. I would never assume to replace someones towers. That is just rude! I was talking about someone going into my game and building with 2k stats.

Eagle, again I would love to see akatiti done on 2k. I use your build with 5-6k stats and have difficulties with 4 people. Sometimes the dinjin just go crazy and take out an aura at random. I almost think that maybe higher stats on aura size can be the downfall though on this map. So maybe that is part of why it works. Still I have also had ogres go crazy as well and take out archers.

Akatiti is actually a very simple map. Pretty sure it can be done with 2k stats and 4 active mid-tier players which are boosting by turns. Hence Kings Game with 1500 stats was also possible. You need to block Ogres and that is so easy in Akatiti by building just 2 Gas Traps. The run will take forever but you would beat it :)

ok, thats it, i have heard a lot of tall claims from you, but that one, whew, ball out of the park. Dont know what game you are playing, or when you actually did so last time (in your dreams by the sound of it), but ogres keep on trucking on through gas, it provides no meaningful delay to them.
It works pretty well on the rest, just not on ogres on any kid of difficulty where it matters like NM, drain aura or not, darkness trap or not. Not that i recall them ever stopping on insane either. Do you have some kind of sneaky cheat that we need to know about that makes them as stunvulnerable as the other mobs?
Quite apart from the point that 2 traps wont cover the 3 crystals...

Maybe i just have a broken 'hardmode' editon of the game where they dont stop. Else im calling trolling BS on this. Given how laughably easy the game would be if it really did stop ogres (and thus everything short of choppers&bosses), then i have to confess, i am biased towards saying that you are deliberately wrong or stoned out of your mind.

You're right, gas traps don't affect ogres. But they do affect the standard mobs what stop and start coughing, so ogres can't pass if they block the way. You can ease the pressure on your defenses if you gas the chokepoints. (mobs clog up, ogres get stuck behind them)

I'll try to create a screenshot and insert it here for a graphic explanation.

Edit:
[Spoiler]

Not the best, but I think it shows what I was talking about
[/spoiler]