How would you like environnemental traps to be activated?

See title.

I would say it depends on the trap. For some it's nice (like the fire/ice in the first wave test, or the dynamite in Town Square) but for others (like the water valve in the sewer map) it would not make sense if they activated from shooting it.

While being able to shoot them from a distance is nice, accidentally setting them off with a stray shot isn't. I would like for them to only go off intentionally.

While being able to shoot them from a distance is nice, accidentally setting them off with a stray shot isn't. I would like for them to only go off intentionally.
This. Maybe heroes could have a trap detonator bow or something? You need to hit the detonator with it, so that controls not being able to activate any trap from anywhere.

Agreed, but most traps are not in your line of fire/melee so it should not be a big issue.

I had stated an idea before of being able to bind to a trap. You would still activate it with some key like T or whatever, but you would only be able to bind to one trap and be able to trigger it within a certain range (maybe 30 meters or whatever). Obviously others can bind to the same trap and you can always use E to activate other traps. It would just be nice to be able to remote detonate a trap.

I initially thought I would like being able to trigger them from range, but I'm a total spaz and set them off without meaning to. I would go for papafhill's idea though.

it was a pleasant surprise being able to set them off from a distance. I guess you could make it so you have to shoot a specific part of the trap like the lever? But yeah i liked it :p

its so cool in Nimbus reach you can stand on one of the pillars in the middle of the map and shoot all 3 statues from there :p

I noticed something this last weekend on environ activation and melee:

Three times I attempted to activate the statue with melee and missed even though the swing passed through the statue (because my crosshair wasn't on it). I'm unsure how I feel about this. On the one hand it means you can melee in the vicinity and not accidentally trigger it on the other it makes it slightly tricker to do in a hurry.

Twice I had wanted to activate the statue and found that it had activated six to eight seconds prior even though I never saw it go off. That is, I pretty it didn't go off (as it was near the start of the wave and was standing in the nuke zone), turned around to trigger it, found it had about seven seconds of recharge left, and was confused.

It messed up the optimal timing a couple times, despite my best efforts to place barricades in such a way as to cause enemies to clump in that nuke zone (the helpful highlighting and actual damage area are not congruous).

It messed up the optimal timing a couple times, despite my best efforts to place barricades in such a way as to cause enemies to clump in that nuke zone (the helpful highlighting and actual damage area are not congruous).

This last point is what I found most frustrating. I'm pretty sure that this stems from the fact that the highlighting is rectangular in nature while the actual damage area is not, but I'm not sure.