will still play the first dungeon defenders after 2 is out

I still play Borderlands after Borderlands 2 came out. If you still enjoy the first game, keep playing it. What matters most to us is that you enjoy playing our games period.

That said, I hope that you'll enjoy DD2 when it comes out.

If there is a patch to the game that includes some of the fixes that we have asked for then I am sure many will continue to play for a bit, especially if some maps are moved to ranked with some rewards to them. I am sure some would even come back to DD1 after having quit once or twice already. More content and fixed bugs equals more fun. If none of it is addressed, I would think many would quit and look to DD2 then.

I have really enjoyed it and will probably still play for a long while. Just a little less and less as time goes on of course.

I still play Borderlands after Borderlands 2 came out. If you still enjoy the first game, keep playing it. What matters most to us is that you enjoy playing our games period.

That said, I hope that you'll enjoy DD2 when it comes out.

I most certainly will be playing and enjoying dd2 the new loot system already has me hooked and the more satisfying combat looks alot of fun

Are you kidding me? DD1 has such a ridiculous curve for new players that the game is practically guaranteed to die once DD2 comes out. If you didn't play DD1 as content was released, and got used to each new mob as it came out, then there's no way in hell you could take the step from insane to nm without going through more trouble than it's worth. The game has effectively locked out new and casual players from running end game content, I like to fancy myself a fairly decent player, and I certainly have the stats to run this crap, but bridging the gap from insane to NMHC is just crap. It's not even "challenging" it's simply not fun. So of course when DD2 comes out, DD1 will simply be 50$ I threw away on a whim

Are you kidding me? DD1 has such a ridiculous curve for new players that the game is practically guaranteed to die once DD2 comes out. If you didn't play DD1 as content was released, and got used to each new mob as it came out, then there's no way in hell you could take the step from insane to nm without going through more trouble than it's worth.

That would depend on whether someone just wants to hit the endgame quickly or not. However lab assault has made it pretty easy to get the stats needed to easily beat NM. I put the myth armor and accs that I got from lab on my chars and they reach 5k in stats which is enough to easily run any map on NM. It took a couple of months to put together and had to ask the community for a few pieces I was looking for but was fairly quick in the context of DD. It is a game of progression which can take a while. New players should do just fine if they have someone to help answer questions or know about the forums.

I do agree though that it is likely new players would just hop on DD2. Why spend time building your chars on a game that just had a sequel released. Older players though would still find it fun to play I think.

Having played xbox DD for quite a while, I didn't feel like doing the normal to insane grind again, so I tagged along a NMPS tavern run to get a few characters leveled up then took it from there, a few hours or up/rep nightmare runs and I was set. 83 with 1800-2500 stats, nothing "amazing" but maps shouldn't be so overdifficult that it's simply not fun(any monsterfest or any campaign map on Nightmare, trying to do ramparts but simply can't clear it. Don't have the build time to get everything set up in time and my dps char isn't overgeared enough to carry everything with all my turrets down from spiders. Could likely clear it on NM surv but I need to clear camp first.

Having played xbox DD for quite a while, I didn't feel like doing the normal to insane grind again, so I tagged along a NMPS tavern run to get a few characters leveled up then took it from there, a few hours or up/rep nightmare runs and I was set. 83 with 1800-2500 stats, nothing "amazing" but maps shouldn't be so overdifficult that it's simply not fun(any monsterfest or any campaign map on Nightmare, trying to do ramparts but simply can't clear it. Don't have the build time to get everything set up in time and my dps char isn't overgeared enough to carry everything with all my turrets down from spiders. Could likely clear it on NM surv but I need to clear camp first.

I can help with that or even others in the DDFRBR group could. There are experienced people in the DDIC group as well. If you dont know about these groups though it can be hard to find people to help. SOLO is fun but I think this game is more enjoyable when playing with others.

If you dont want to do the grind, then getting chars to lvl 74 is fairly easy with help from others. With a few runs of TD or Kings, you can then start using gear from lab assault to improve your chars. I know DDFRBR can run these maps for you or someone in there is running them to level their own chars.

Well the meaning of Nightmare was matching for the earlier game experience :p Honestly I've had a lot of fun beating NM after plenty of fails. You are able to progress if you know how and where. After playing the campaigns on Insane you need to do survivals on Insane and/or Insane HC. The loot you will get there is enough to get into the first campaigns on NM. If you are struggling with a map try to do some more survivals on Insane later maps or NM earlier maps.

The progression through the original content is hard but hey it's Nightmare ;) However, with the release of Lab Assault you will progress very fast, it's your skip forward if you want to call it so but you will not learn much about the game and building if you skip the earlier game progression :)

I can help with that or even others in the DDFRBR group could. There are experienced people in the DDIC group as well. If you dont know about these groups though it can be hard to find people to help. SOLO is fun but I think this game is more enjoyable when playing with others.

If you dont want to do the grind, then getting chars to lvl 74 is fairly easy with help from others. With a few runs of TD or Kings, you can then start using gear from lab assault to improve your chars. I know DDFRBR can run these maps for you or someone in there is running them to level their own chars.

I haven't been able to get a response from anyone in that group :| and I can't get anyone else to help me with the campaign, I believe I have sufficient stats for it, however I can't set them up in time, and if I go into a round as my builder instead of my dps, I get eaten(seriously.. spiders.. I swear they spawn behind me no matter where I am) if I can somehow clear campaign I can (hopefully) get somewhere with survival, if I can do wave 25 on insane ramparts you'd think I could clear the NM campaign, but no, spiders gum up turrets, ogres eat turrets, gg.

Nightmare is just so broken, the step from insane to NM isn't even logical, you go from a neat and orderly "mobs spawn here, walk here, then die" to a broken mess of "lets air drop ogres EVERYWHERE, and spiders will spawn here, and there, and there, and also there, and they break turrets, also let's have shark guys that move your turrets, and helicopters that shoot rockets because eff you, and just to say eff you once more, let's have flying genies randomly buff mobs and delete defenses! BRILLIANT. Oh, you also do 1/6 the dmg and everything has far more hp and dmg. Haave fuuun.

Old NM before you had the addition of 4-5 new mobs would have still been a challenge, but adding all of those new mobs on top of the increased difficulty curve makes it ridiculous, if insane is too easy to stay awake through and I STILL can't run the next step up, then something is just not right. My gear should be more than adequete to do an original campaign map, and frankly I don't agree with the "get more gear, run things over with numbers" philosophy, but at this point I don't really see another choice. When I look at some of the builds people use, trying to get an idea, I just see them stack defenses around the crystal and kill everything with numbers. That's well and good and all but that doesn't really help me. As far as I know, my build should work relatively well, but I can't set it up in time in nightmare(60s.. y) and can't do survival until I clear it(pls y)

I haven't been able to get a response from anyone in that group :| and I can't get anyone else to help me with the campaign, I believe I have sufficient stats for it, however I can't set them up in time, and if I go into a round as my builder instead of my dps, I get eaten(seriously.. spiders.. I swear they spawn behind me no matter where I am) if I can somehow clear campaign I can (hopefully) get somewhere with survival, if I can do wave 25 on insane ramparts you'd think I could clear the NM campaign, but no, spiders gum up turrets, ogres eat turrets, gg.

Nightmare is just so broken, the step from insane to NM isn't even logical, you go from a neat and orderly "mobs spawn here, walk here, then die" to a broken mess of "lets air drop ogres EVERYWHERE, and spiders will spawn here, and there, and there, and also there, and they break turrets, also let's have shark guys that move your turrets, and helicopters that shoot rockets because eff you, and just to say eff you once more, let's have flying genies randomly buff mobs and delete defenses! BRILLIANT. Oh, you also do 1/6 the dmg and everything has far more hp and dmg. Haave fuuun.

Old NM before you had the addition of 4-5 new mobs would have still been a challenge, but adding all of those new mobs on top of the increased difficulty curve makes it ridiculous, if insane is too easy to stay awake through and I STILL can't run the next step up, then something is just not right. My gear should be more than adequete to do an original campaign map, and frankly I don't agree with the "get more gear, run things over with numbers" philosophy, but at this point I don't really see another choice. When I look at some of the builds people use, trying to get an idea, I just see them stack defenses around the crystal and kill everything with numbers. That's well and good and all but that doesn't really help me. As far as I know, my build should work relatively well, but I can't set it up in time in nightmare(60s.. y) and can't do survival until I clear it(pls y)

ok. I havent been in group chat to check. I will help out where I can. Add me and I will try to catch up with you.

NM though is a different beast. It is designed that way to make it more of a challenge since people needed it. Stats are a huge necessity, although they help of course, but learning to build different is key. Suddenly gas traps, reflect walls, buffs and minions became really important with NM. Draemn has pulled a lot of links to guides for NM maps. It is worth checking out and I have it linked in my signature.

<>

Here are some very simple tips for nightmare.

- Build EVERYTHING in aura's, absoloutely everything. And never step out of them with your dps chars.
[COLOR="[[596,hashtags]]"]-[/COLOR] Use minions walls, not squire walls&Ev-walls. Place a mage behind the minion wall, not in the middle to stop it from taking any dmg
- REFLECTS FEEEEEER DAAAAYYYYSSSSS. Copters rockets do ALOT of dmg, especially when they're not flying in an strength drain.
- Gas traps to stop djins, just put a gas trap under every aura stack and call it a day.

The first build wave should include, putting down the auras, which are your life-savers. If possible place a couple of minions to agro any ogres that spawn within the first wave. And have your dps char try and help kill them.

The second build wave is mostly the hardest to build, seeing as copters will now spawn, you NEED to finish building with EV, reflects have to be there and so have the buff beams. You should also really try to finish the summoning.

Third build wave is placing your gas traps and placing any needed harpoons. Harpoons are just for the added dmg, they shouldnt function as walls seeing as they dont repair themselves like minions walls.
After the third build timer, you should really be done with the building and should start focussing on any upgrade and repair duty.

there is a pattern to spiders - the way you're describing them is reminiscent of when they first came out.

Really with decent enough aura they should die pretty quickly, also with correct ensnare/gas - sharken are no problem at all...

But maybe like you say, 'growing' up with them ofc forces you to modify your tactics on the go.

If you're running out of time then consider what needs building when - if no ogre first wave then concentrate aura/traps, even extra gas that you sell next wave but for first wave it will buy you time...

ok. I havent been in group chat to check. I will help out where I can. Add me and I will try to catch up with you.

NM though is a different beast. It is designed that way to make it more of a challenge since people needed it. Stats are a huge necessity, although they help of course, but learning to build different is key. Suddenly gas traps, reflect walls, buffs and minions became really important with NM. Draemn has pulled a lot of links to guides for NM maps. It is worth checking out and I have it linked in my signature.

You could add me as well. The dd free runs are great to watch and I know eagle has some great videos on how to setup. I would watch his videos because even though I have a difficult time believing 2k can do it he does. Every map has different tricks and you need at min a summoner, ev, monk and some would say a dps character + the huntress for traps. Any map not on nm you can get by with one or two characters but there is a different set of things needed for nightmare. If you don't have those characters you can always power level up. I would advise setting them all up for tower and you can farm trans armor on base maps. I used to solo them myself to get the sets I have then move on to higher levels. Basically I would advise starting nm yourself from level 1 on. That will teach you the basics of how to setup and work with each character. If you want to learn fast again the guides are there and you can always join others.

I have built up too much stuff to not go back and play dd1. I always wish when they build sequels that you could take something with you from the prior version. Its sort of sad yet I understand that its a new game and that might give you an advantage which might not make it as fun.

Just ran into the great guide as well on the build of each character: http://forums.dungeondefenders2.com/showthread.php?82923

Wish I would have seen this earlier.

DanielSound did a great job with that. One of the main reasons why I link to draemn's post with all of the links in my signature as it is included in the links. Very useful for new player to check out. Makes it easier to understand the different characters.

Minions can solve all the problems you have listed.
Spiders ignore them pretty much, archers will kill any spiders loitering around. Job Done.

Nightmare mode is intended to be a well nightmare! But it is a big step from insane to nightmare, With 2k stats rounded you should be able to farm aquanos / KG, I can take you through so build if you please