Is it possible to manipulate how good your reward will be?

So, I've played through Tavern Defense Pure Strategy lots of times, and wound up with plenty of sub-par kobolds. Upon finding out that the really good kobolds are gotten through Survival Mix Mode, so I joined one of those a day or two later.

While in the game, nearing the last few waves, the host told everyone to unequip any kobolds they already had, because having one equipped would supposedly make the kobolds we got as rewards weaker (his exact words were something like "the devs think that using one to get one would be too easy". Then, when the match was over, I mentioned how good my kobold was (it had Tower Attack, Tower Health, and Hero Casting Rate at 600) he said something to the effect of "yeah, I set them up that way".

Now, I don't know much about this, but the idea of being able to manipulate (however subtly) the stats on your Survival Rewards sounds a little strange, but if it's possible, I'd like to know. Is this a thing or was this guy full of crap?

That dude must be Willy Wonka in real life.
But in seriousness, he was full of crap. :)
There's no way to manipulate the quality of kobolds you'll get. The RNG is a funny thing though because some maps require you to do insane mode instead of nightmare mode to get the best items (i.e. insane mode survival will net you better kobolds and insane tinker's lab will net you better blasters generally), however it has nothing to do with what your character is wearing or what level they are, or any of that phooey. Hope that helps. :)

Edit: however, you can manipulate what TYPE of reward you will receive on survivals. For example if you were farming for armor, then in order to get all armor drops you will need to have ONLY the summoner active during the waves (as summoner does not wield weapons, so seems logical. :P) The same appies to if you are farming a certain class for a weapon, you would want that class active in order to get weaps for that specific class.

Sorry if you knew that already, just wanting to clarify. :D

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I hope to start farming kobolds myself, and I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I needed to be doing differently. :-)

And in addition to Lins comment. Higher difficulty in general yields better rewards (with a few exceptions like mentioned). Hardcore (hc) adds to quality. Mixmode (mm) does as well, but does NOT affect pet quality at all.
And pure strategy (ps) is rubbish for all drops, only thing it's good for is xp (and I personally feel you better combine xp gathering with some other goal rather than dedicated leveling)

So for weapons and armor nmhcmm is the way to go. Most pets (chicken and kobolds being the exception on insane hc) are best farmed on nmhc.

My favorite thing as a community manager is to be on this side of the rumor mill for the game. I'm not sure if it's just his good luck charm or if someone spread a false rumor about that trick making drops better.

I used to hear some ridiculous ones when we hosted the console events. So many people were convinced that using a Fairy as a pet would bring you better RNG luck. Where does that even come from? It's just a beautiful thing to witness.

So many people were convinced that using a Fairy as a pet would bring you better RNG luck. Where does that even come from? It's just a beautiful thing to witness.

Really?! I've got to try that! :)

Rather than starting my own thread, I'll just interject here with a question.

I know that hardcore changes the quality of map rewards, but does mix mode do anything? I've heard both sides of the story on this one.

HC adds 5% bonus to the stats of dropped items
MM adds 2.5% bonus to the stats of dropped items

As far as you can believe earlier very old statements.

HC adds 5% bonus to the stats of dropped items
MM adds 2.5% bonus to the stats of dropped items

As far as you can believe earlier very old statements.
Ah okay, thank you for clearing that up.