Sign in to follow this  
master elodin

Is the Summoner making a comeback?

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any info on whether the :summoner: Summoner from DD1 would be coming back in DD2.
The Summoner was by far my favourite class, even with its imperfections, and with a bit of tweeking (but I hope not too much change from its original concept!) I feel it would be my favourite in DD2, as I love the kind of gameplay that the Summoner evokes.

Also as an aside, with the new focus on character lore, it would be interesting to see what direction they took the Summoner.

Thanks.

I liked the Summoner, but i must admit that he had some UI issues - and the AI of the monsters was not all that great.

If the UI of the Summoner (overlord mode?) and the monster AI got improved, then the Summoner would be a truly amazing class :)

the summoner was a solid class i enjoyed it very much but due to how they are introducing there combat synergy i can not visually see the class making it to dd2 at the start the combat system for one they want everything to be able to react with everything and the whole cause and effect the summoner is really just towers with no attack so there will be alot of planning and thought out process how they will implement that class either way love the game cant wait to get my hands on it and really dive in and break it all down

What I liked about the summoner was that he offered an entirely unique way to play and the flavour of a summoner is really to my tastes. I do feel that he was lacking in certain respects - I think that a separate and full DU was a mistake, and in order to balance this his minion's damage was sub-standard compared to the other heroes. I do however feel that out of perhaps all the heroes, the Summoner has the most scope for some really exiting changes - the only limit is the minions he copies! Or he could even have unique minions. Till then I guess I'll just go with the Apprentice :(

The summoner was/is over-powered and broke the balance between other classes when it was introduced.

I enjoyed the Summoner but he/she broke the game at the time of release imo. If he/she makes a comeback in DD2 I hope they are a nice addition and not a necessary class to make the game easy.

I enjoyed the Summoner but he/she broke the game at the time of release imo. If he/she makes a comeback in DD2 I hope they are a nice addition and not a necessary class to make the game easy.

This. I don't know what the right balance point is but I did like the general concept.

I liked at the summoner, that he got own minion units, that the mage was able to heal the minions and that you had the chance to use him at survivals to get only armor. Too bad, that it's not planned to create this class too.

Summoner has been my favorite ever since I switched to PC.Always carrying my best gear.

Who says summoner doesnt have attack power? Ever tried moving minions?Ever tried using attacking pets?

Summoner was the only thing that made those hundreds of survival runs interesting. Using couple ogres as bodyguards and attacking enemies or making bunch of ninjas and slash through the pathetic mobs.Sometimes I just spawned bunch of spiders to wep enemies. Every time survival gets boring, you could mess with summoner.

What about building? You could pretty much build however you wanted. Ofcourse summoner made the game "easier" but so does any uber gear you managed to find.

Simply THE BEST CHARACTER. Make it happen trendy!

I would like to see summoner in DD2. Maybe not right away but as a dlc character when game progresses..?

What about building? You could pretty much build however you wanted. Ofcourse summoner made the game "easier" but so does any uber gear you managed to find.

Apples and Oranges.
No piece of gear would outright double how much DU you got.

This.

Indeed it was.

But imo that is not a reason for not giving him a chance again.
Just balance the Summoner better. Way less Minion Units for the Summoner so that he can maybe build 5-10 Minions per map (depending on map size) and make the costs for the minions even higher, maybe double the costs.

The Summoner was one of the greatest ideas, but like other people said, as it is in DD1, he is too overpowered. Only give him the overlord mode for building and better strategy planning.

I personally used the summoner as a back up. he was my rear guard if anything. The only minions I used were Archers and Mages......
Rarely I would goof off and use an Ogre to block a lane with 2 summoners behind him and he would demolish everything in his path. My favorite part about him was the summoning circle when he would summon the minions I thought that was just freaking awesome.

Actually it does exactly that.Better gear = less towers = less spent DU

Ok let me rephrase.

If you have Godly tier items and stats around 100-150, what kind of SINGLE GEAR PIECE could you possibly pick up that would double your effective tower DU?

Odds are its not going to be a piece you could find legitimately with the gear you already have.

OTOH, a summoner is trivial to add. Even poorly equipped and under-leveled they're going to add a lot bigger boost to your effective DU than any single piece of gear you're (un)likely to find.

(Likewise if you're already equipped with Ult++, there is no possibility of picking up better gear, it simply does not exist).

I personally used the summoner as a back up. he was my rear guard if anything. The only minions I used were Archers and Mages......

That's because archers and mages were foxing amazing and ogres were pathetic. DEWs tended to jump off cliffs and kill themselves and spiders were too weak to reliably do much (compared to their MU cost).

spiders were too weak to reliably do much (compared to their MU cost).

Really? I liked using spiders. They're especially useful when breaking into nightmare, or in late NM stuff, since they cut the damage that Ogres/copter Ogres do, as well as increase your effective DPS on affected mobs, which is fantastic.

I never noticed when I did use them. And all the guides I was seeing at the time said they weren't worth it.

I did have a friend I played with who used ogres on Magus Quarters, but we had to heal them all the time. DEWs we found, loved leaping into the lava pits.

Anything webbed takes about double damage. This includes yourself from enemy spiders, and enemies webbed by your spider minions.

Summoner is fine if and only if he uses DU like everybody else.

Problem was that minions weren't adequate replacements for existing towers. They were on-average weaker than anything that cost the same amount of DU.

If you are dealing with 4-5 ogres at a time and their HP is over 30 million, you'll learn to love spiders.

I think I stopped playing before that ever happened.

[QUOTE=Dagarath;989668]If you are dealing with 4-5 ogres at a time and their HP is over 30 million, you'll learn to love spiders.

I think I stopped playing before that ever happened.[/QUOTE]

I hope we will never get such numbers in DD2. And not 100 levels again. Perhaps only prestige levels after 50 or whatever.

I hope we will never get such numbers in DD2. And not 100 levels again. Perhaps only prestige levels after 50 or whatever.

100 levels isn't/wasn't the problem. It was the stupidly insanely slow scaling above 70. Getting to 74 took as much exp as it did to go from 1 to 70 (and got worse from there).