Councillors! What would you be willing to pay for?

Attention fellow Councillors! What types of purchasable items would you like to see in the Pay Shop?

Vote in the poll and then leave your opinion/reason as to why you voted so.

Please note: The poll will not show what you voted for. Also, you can vote for more than one option.

This is meant to help show Trendy what us, Councillors, would be/are willing to pay for in Dungeon Defenders II.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing, I don't want a pay shop. Unless it is like the tavern keep that sells mediocre pets some times for mana that is it. Nothing for real cash.

I cannot vote accurately with these options. Some of it is toooo vague.

It almost has to be vague with only 10 options unfortunately :\

Nothing, I don't want a pay shop. Unless it is like the tavern keep that sells mediocre pets some times for mana that is it. Nothing for real cash.

They have stated that the game will be free to play. If you don't buy anything for real cash, then you will not be supporting the game in any way.

They have stated that the game will be free to play. If you don't buy anything for real cash, then you will not be supporting the game in any way.

Please do not get me started on the "free to play" thing in this thread also. It is tooooo vague.

Hence the problem with a poll like this.

Edit: I just voted for the 3 that in no way could affect gameplay

Yup, sadly all those other options WILL affect how the game is played, developed and the whole experience in total.

I'll keep my purchasing to a minimum as long as there is a cash shop. Just so fed up with the whole concept.

I would buy however, expansion like packs. That contains new maps and new heroes. In these maps you would be able to achieve and get all of the other options. What a crazy idea right? You can get stuff from playing the content you have paid for and not have to buy items individually.

I wish all polls created weren't anonymous. It should show peoples names by default instead having to check the option. I check the option to make them public when I do a poll. /fail lummy

Yup, sadly all those other options WILL affect how the game is played, developed and the whole experience in total.

I'll keep my purchasing to a minimum as long as there is a cash shop. Just so fed up with the whole concept.

I would buy however, expansion like packs. That contains new maps and new heroes. In these maps you would be able to achieve and get all of the other options. What a crazy idea right? You can get stuff from playing the content you have paid for and not have to buy items individually.

I know right. Who'da thunk it? Its a foreign concept nowadays.

Personally, copy the giant.

League of legends is making the most money out of any game at the moment. If you literally copy their system you won't make anyone angry and will probably make many people happy.

The only thing they sell that cant be optained in any way other than money is skins, but those are not needed.

If you limit maps, you will lose people unless you could get all the gear from any map and the hosts could host for people who havent purchased the maps, but thats so many ifs.

If you limit heroes it will become unfair for other players.

If you allow purchasable currency you can essentially GW2 it, and have an exchange system, but those usually feel clunky. Spending money doesn't seem as awesome. Unlike spending money on an awesome skin, which does feel awesome. When a new skin comes out, everyone comments with "take my money", but when gw2 comes out with something in the cash shop its usually people complaining on the forums.

I rarely spend money on GW2 because i can farm for gold. But when i was playing league i was spending $50 a month on champions and skins. I feel you should copy the same method.

Heres my suggestions.

Items able to be purchased through cash $$$$
Skins - (tower skins, char skins, hats, costumes)
Heroes - (champions, classes. These can be obtained ingame as well without paying, this is just a way to speed things along)
Maps - (Only non limiting maps, such as fun maps which drop nothing better stat wise than another non cash map)
Boosts - (maybe something to help the people with less time catch up without being op. Something like 2 weeks of "your first map completion today gives 300% experience" Edit: This should only be available after the game is out for a while, to give returns and new players a chance to quickly catch up)

Items Earned in game
Skins - (very few, through achievements, but not the same ones as the purchased ones, such as the gold rating skins in LoL or the valentines skins in DD1)
Heroes - (Should be a separate currency given through game completion and map completions, you spend this currencing on unlocking heroes, this way you could get all heroes but you would have to complete the entire game multiple times, this could be balanced later. You could spend money to get them early.)
Items - (Items with stats should never be purchaseable with cash and all earnable ingame or else it becomes unfun."
Maps - (any non limiting maps could be sold, but everything else has to be achievable without paying or else it makes an unfun environment.)
Rune type system - (Okay, so you don't need to completely copy league, but runes are a nice way to keep people playing, they help a little bit and are only purchasable through playing the game, you cannot purchase them with money, so even if you blow $3k you're not bored of the game because you have everything.)

Achievements
titles
hats
skins
and really anything you want.

When i started league of legends I didn't really like it, i just playing it with friends. I didn't spend a dime until i found a champion i likes. I would have never spent any money on the game if i didn't have the oportunity to master that champion. I played him one in free week when i was bad and still didn't like him. But when I knew the concept of the game and I purchased him, the game became fun. I bought all of his skins, then started buying champions who played in similar ways. I feel the only way to make the game fun for all is giving everyone the oportunity to get everything essential. Then purchase anything cosmetic. So people can play the full game without limitations for free to truly enjoy it. Then buy things to show off. In my opinion, there should be no arguement, a lot of games have tried different methods but only one is making the most money.

I feel you should look at Rift's slogan "No tricks, no traps" And always try to play a game free to play first. Make sure the game is fun before you pay, you should never have to pay to make something fun in this day. More and more good games are going free to play in some standard. The ones that are failing are the ones that are getting greedy (swtor comes to mind).

If im limited in a game at all, I don't even want to play it, because if I come into a money hardship, and a new champion comes out, in League I can still farm for it. But if it was only purchasable I wouldn't want to watch my friends play a champion I want but can't afford, I would just quit until I had money again, but when I have money again, I might have already forgotten about this game.

Sorry for this long post, this is just something I have seen way to many games screw up, and I don't want to see this one screw up.

TL;DR - Look at the successful games and find what they have in common, copy it. Look at the failed games, find what they have in common, avoid it. The more this is voted on, the more it will be skewed. The people without jobs will want everything to be obtainable without money. The ones with a lot of money will want everything to be purchasable. But without the first group you may lose a lot of the second group (friends play games that their friends play.) On the other hand, without the second group of people you won't have a funded game. So to make both happy, you need to give the first group a game they can do everything, and give the second group something they can purchase that cannot be achievable without purchasing it (which cosmetic things are the only option without making the game unfair)

IF the tl;dr was too long heres the tldrttldr, Make people happy, before you make your bank account happy. No one likes to be limited. Copy League of Legends, they are doing it right.

Heroes - (champions, classes, ect.)
Maps - (Only non limiting maps, such as fun maps which drop nothing better stat wise than another non cash map)
Boosts - (maybe something to help the people with less time catch up without being op. Something like 2 weeks of "your first map completion today gives 300% experience")[/COLOR]

The people without jobs will want everything to be obtainable without money. The ones with a lot of money will want everything to be purchasable.

Every one of those things you listed can turn into P2W if not done correctly. Boosts for real cash will always be P2W.

I have a job and I have money. That type of bias argument is complete non sense. A sense of entitlement or an abundance of free time has absolutely nothing at all to do with any part of this. It is all about having a level playing field across the board so no player can gain an advantage over another player.

ohh i understand that. And I agree with you, this is an example I am giving to purely copy LoL. This is not biased I have given multiple examples of different sides. P2W is buying something which gives you a large advantage over people who cannot buy that. So the boosts could be considered that, the heroes shouldnt be, especially if they can still be achieved without paying.

The boosts are something you implement to games later to give people a way to catch up. Look at league, like 100+ champions it would take something like 500 hours of play to unlock them all, and during that time they are constantly release new ones. The cash is to speed that process up. The boosts don't need to be out at release, but could be very helpful a year after DD2 is out.

Are you suggesting that I spend actual time grinding for loot?! That is preposterous! I want to by the best item in the game and beat it in 10 minutes. Time well spent. I wouldn't miss out on anything in the game at all. And all you poor peasants will have to spend hundreds of hours grinding for loot I just bought in two seconds because you think you can boycott it.

:7

Yea so I'm not serious, I really hope the only difference between DD2 and DD1 is that heroes are included in the DLC. It's not fair to slit it up. And what is this talk of a pay shop? is that how they are doing it since they don't have steam selling their stuff for them?

Small advantage or large advantage is irrelevant.

Ive asked this question a few times before. I will ask it again. How can you add a hero to current game content without it giving an advantage? How is that not P2W? For a new hero to be added it has to be unique otherwise you are already buying something you already have. If you already have it then why buy it? It is simply a skin. If it is truly unique then that means it will offer something to the table that will give that player an advantage over another player. Welcome to P2W. Heroes cannot be done in a non P2W situation.

The sad part of this is you didn't read my entire post or even the part of my responds so i may repeat it a few times for you.
heroes can be obtained in the game without paying

hopefully that is enough. If you saved up enough for the new hero of a different currency or mana or whatever they decide, then when a new hero comes out you have a choice to purchase it with ingame currency or cash. Woah what a concept, if only there was another game which did something like that so we could see if it works? ohh wait league did it, and they're are the highest net worth game.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I agreed with you. Have you played league of legends? Their business model is close to flawless.

Edit: look at the blue highlighted part of my post, it clearly explains anything limited can be pushed through by playing the game. All non cosmetic things can be obtained through playing even if some can also be obtained through paying.

Imagine it this way. Game is released, 4 classes and a spoiler for a 5th, a currency to purchase champions, this currency requires 1 hour a day played once a day for 2 weeks to get the champion (you can play more on days or less, that is just an average). If you can't commit to that it will take longer or you have to pay money $$. However you can save up BEFORE the hero/champ comes out so when hes released you dont have to pay $$.

can we rewind this convo back to the first time league of legends was said, rewind the convo three words and continue from that point in a different direction. This isn't League of Legends, hence why they scrapped the MOBA idea.

Please do not get me started on the "free to play" thing in this thread also. It is tooooo vague.

I think this is the point of threads like this Backinstabbin. We need to narrow down how this game is going to be free to play.

There are quite a few ways to set up a Free to Play game, but these are the four main models that I have seen.

Limited Time - Usually used in MMO's that give you the first 10 levels free but clamp down on what you can do after that. This is a bait and switch and feels like Pay to Play.

Boosts - You can play the game free but the grind is created to be insufferable so that players will pay for boosts to make the game bearable. A lot of mobile strategy games use this model. This also feels like Pay to Play but can also feel like a Pay to Win model.

Limited Options - A base game is free, but to gain access to all options or heroes the player must pay for these individually. This game feels like a Free to Play game but can also feel like a Pay to Win game. My personal opinion is that DD1 felt like this after I paid for it.

Vanilla Game - The entire game is free, but you have access to cosmetics that will make your character customizable. This model feels like Free to Play. This is the only game that I consider Free to Play (besides a free game of course, but those don't make a lot of money).

Some of these models create frustration from their players but I believe all of them are good money-making strategies sadly.

Papa

Ignore the moba aspect, just look at the business models, they could still work for both games. That is all im saying. Who cares if it was done by a moba if it could work for a td.

The league business model can work for many other games. it seriously should be looked at, before dismissing it by saying "its not moba"

If Mcdonalds started selling pies, would it be dumb for any other place to sell pies because they are not mcdonalds? No, business models can work for many different businesses, that shouldn't be an issue.

I agreed with you. Have you played league of legends? Their business model is close to flawless.

Dota2 has done it flawlessly because you don't have to pay for heroes and they are competing with LoL. Anything you buy in Dota2 is cosmetic only, no compromises.

Anyways im probably dropping this, but I will add something here.

Everyone has different opinions, there is no way to make everyone happy.

The consensus is mostly, "Cosmetic is okay, everything else is probably a no". (from the vote 80+% say cosmetic stuff/skins and less than 30% say anything else, with 1 anomaly of limited edition which is too vague anyways. This is only accurate to when it was edited, the votes may be different when you look at this post.)

I also want to bring something up to the person who made this poll.

These are vague, you probably should have had a discussion per item, not per shop. So we could discuss what is okay and what is a nono.

Secondly, there is a sociology study about asking people for advice. If you ask 4 people for advice and they all give you different advice, and you only follow one, you will make the rest upset. Asking this way is just making people upset. I will play the game all the way up until i feel limited without paying money, when that happens im done. If I never feel limited, I will gladly pay.

Edit: @giraffe, DOTA2 has an awesome business model but their revenue is nowhere near leagues. So yeah its great for us, and steam/valve makes a lot of their money through other sources to keep it great for us. But from a business point of view, league is still make way more than Dota2

Edit: @giraffe, DOTA2 has an awesome business model but their revenue is nowhere near leagues. So yeah its great for us, and steam/valve makes a lot of their money through other sources to keep it great for us. But from a business point of view, league is still make way more than Dota2

They also have a much bigger player base. I would like to know how much each is making per player of their respective games.

They also have a much bigger player base. I would like to know how much each is making per player of their respective games.

Eh idk, but I do see a lot more people with skins in league than in cosmetics in dota (pretty meaningless, but still).

Also I know how many people purchase champions in league, so averaging I would imagine is much higher in league. However I could be biased because I prefer league over dota2.

Edit: and cant cosmetics in dota2 be traded and sold from player to player like in counterstrike? That would lower revenue as well.

ohh i understand that. And I agree with you, this is an example I am giving to purely copy LoL. This is not biased I have given multiple examples of different sides. P2W is buying something which gives you a large advantage over people who cannot buy that. So the boosts could be considered that, the heroes shouldnt be, especially if they can still be achieved without paying.

The boosts are something you implement to games later to give people a way to catch up. Look at league, like 100+ champions it would take something like 500 hours of play to unlock them all, and during that time they are constantly release new ones. The cash is to speed that process up. The boosts don't need to be out at release, but could be very helpful a year after DD2 is out.

I've played a lot of LoL and you cannot compare a game of that type to a "RTS-RPG" game. What makes league awesome is the game play, sure and simple. In DD it is mostly the game play as well, to an degree. A major part of DD is loot, achievements and unique/hard to get rewards. Having a portion of these sold in a cash shop, will turn into GW2. It's a great game. But why are 9/10 new weapons gated behind the cash shop? It sure is not to enhance game play and the feeling of satisfaction of getting something awesome, it's purely a economic strategy.

I would of played that game so much more if there were more rewards and "unique" weapons/armors to achieve in the actual game, not in a browser.(RNG Boxes w/e) To say you can also buy this for in game currency is a fair point to an degree. What does 9/10 people say to people that have a legendary? "Blablabla NO lifer" or "Hahahaha, buying pixels for money". This is the core issue of a cash shop, even if you can gain it in game.

So how would this affect DD2? Having skins and w/e in a browser? First of all, there would be less rewards in the actual game.

I think we have to focus more on the actual "game" or the whole feeling of it, it does not really come down to what is P2W or W/e for me. I don't care if games have P2W, but if they do. I won't enjoy them as much. If all the good skins are in the browser. Don't forget everything put in a cash shop is like a thing removed from the actual game until you throw money at the screen.

Are you suggesting that I spend actual time grinding for loot?! That is preposterous! I want to by the best item in the game and beat it in 10 minutes. Time well spent. I wouldn't miss out on anything in the game at all. And all you poor peasants will have to spend hundreds of hours grinding for loot I just bought in two seconds because you think you can boycott it.

:7

Yea so I'm not serious, I really hope the only difference between DD2 and DD1 is that heroes are included in the DLC. It's not fair to slit it up. And what is this talk of a pay shop? is that how they are doing it since they don't have steam selling their stuff for them?

A Free to play game with no pay shop? I'll just leave it at that. Totally agree on your first statement, but I don't see this happening with a Free 2 p(l)ay model.

Eh idk, but I do see a lot more people with skins in league than in cosmetics in dota (pretty meaningless, but still).

Also I know how many people purchase champions in league, so averaging I would imagine is much higher in league. However I could be biased because I prefer league over dota2.

As far as I can tell the information just isn't out there to make this argument any more than conjecture. I agree that LoL has a great model, but Dota2 has the model that really feels Free to Play and they appear to be doing quite well.