A short story (of old friends and non-canon-lore)

Having read a lot on the forums recently and being a huge lore-geek, I always thought that the first game was a bit short on lore. Just a few snippets would have added so much more depth to the world and sparked more imagination.

Well, both the hero-lore redesign and talking about re-visiting old maps, I came up with something on the spur of the moment. It's a story taking place during DD2, but gives lots of background for the first game.

Don't be too harsh in your comments, writing like this is absolutely a first for me:
_____________________________________________________________________________________

The Return

"Have you heard the rumor?", the Apprentice asks his companions. "Which rumor is that?" the Huntress replies. All four of them sit hunched around a low burning fire, drained and tired by the fighting during the day. "The one about the old castle." "I bet it's just another 'lost Eternia Crystal' rumor, just like last time." she mocks with thinly veiled contempt.

"Let him continue!" the Squire throws in, "I for one could use some sort of tale to brighten my spirits and take me away from todays drudgery." Even the Monk, quiet as always, nods his approval and puts a calming hand on the Huntress' shoulder.

"A refugee, fleeing from the devastation of the first kingdom by the invaders told others he had seen the old castle. He said the invaders had established a stronghold there, as if protecting something valuable." "A treasure? A grand new weapon?" the Squire blurted out. "Probably just some ugly old orc totem with a couple of rusty axes and speartips to match." the Huntress laughed. The Apprentice put on a frown and after the others had quieted down again, continued: "No, it seems they have found a special Eternia Crystal, maybe even the last remaining one. For some reason they protect and guard it, instead of just breaking it, to release whatever it contains. Which leads me to think that they are keeping it for a different reason. Maybe they have trapped something or want to trap something that even the invaders are afraid of."

This shut up both the Huntress and the Squire and both of them became overcome with a vague dread and apprehension. Too vivid were the memories of finding their own parents encased in the unyielding, cold crystal. Too frightening the prospect of becoming trapped themselves.

The Squire was the first to break the silence. "You know, there is something I never quite understood." "What a surprise!" "Shut it. If the Eternia Crystals were prisons, where did 'He' come from?" "You mean the Summoner?" the Huntress adds. "Exactly. Just one day he turns up, speaking about as much as our own Monk - no offense - and starts to summon those weird crystal creatures to help us. He never explained why he came to help us and why his home, the Crystalline Dimension, became a prison for the Old Ones."

"Errm, maybe I can explain that..." the Apprentice murmurs almost inaudibly. At this, even the Monk looks with disbelief at the apprentice, and the others are stunned and silent.
"Well, it's something I swore never to tell anyone. My father made me swear on our return from the Crystalline Dimension. He wanted me to know everything, but I should keep it hidden, since this knowledge could quickly turn against us, if it ever fell in the hands of the enemy. Seeing as things are now, it seems I can no longer keep it quiet.
All of the Eternia Crystals were all originally part of one single greater crystal. My father found the crystal while he was travelling on his own, looking for ways to seal away the Old Ones. Being the great wizard he was, he found out that the crystal could be used as a portal into a different world - "
"The Crystalline Dimension!"
"Yes. He used the portal, hoping to find a place to which our parents could banish the Old Ones. Yet, upon arrival, he was surprised to find it inhabited by creatures he referred to as the 'Shining Ones'."
"You mean like the Summoner?"
"Yes again."
"The point being?"
"If you two stopped interrupting me, I would get to the point eventually. They were good-natured and similar to us humans. A few of them were wizards, similar to me and my father and had acquired control over the main element of their world: The crystal. Being hard-pressed for time and alternatives, my father begged them to help him construct a prison for the Old Ones. At first they refused, seeing no reason to help us, but seeing how a wizard like my father found a way into their world, they became convinced that the Old Ones would find a way as well. Reluctantly, they agreed to sacrifice parts of their world, shards of the main crystal, as it were, to contain and imprison the Old Ones, but only after my father swore to protect them and their crystal in our world."

"So you tell us this story to make us find that crystal and protect it, is that it?" the Huntress asks warily.
"My father told me all of this, so I could continue in his place, but he kept one secret for when it was time: The actual location of the crystal. He only ever said that it would be closer than I thought."
"So you think it was hidden in the castle all this time?" the Squire inquires.
"It seems the logical conclusion. Especially after hearing the tale of the refugee."
"Hold on a minute!" the Huntress interrupts the discussion with a slightly puzzled look on her face. "If the crystal was in the castle all this time, why was it never attacked by the hordes of goblins and orcs and other monsters?"
"Simple enough, really. Since it didn't contain an Old One like the others, the monsters weren't attracted to it, like they were with the other Eternia Crystals. It could've been right in their path and they would have ignored it. That they have taken it now, means that the invaders understand that it might be valuable, but they have probably no idea of just how valuable it really is. They probably don't even know about the 'Shining Ones'."
"But what of our trusted ally, the Summoner?" the Squire bursts out.
"Again, quite simple really. Since he returned to the Crystalline Dimension, he has probably no idea what is going on around his home."
"No, I meant, why was he helping us last time."
"Oh that? He was simply a fellow apprentice, basically. His master was the one who hatched the plan of creating seperate Crystals to contain the Old Ones, and the one who taught our parents how to imprison the Old Ones in them. He basically invented the Eternia Crystals as we knew them. He sent his apprentice, who had already mastered the art of imbuing the crystal with life to help us, so he would hone his skills and learn of the dangers the Old Ones represented first hand. Especially since the Old One we fought had already gained some measure over control over crystal himself. So he was a massive threat to the 'Shining Ones'."
"Well then, why are we still sitting around here? Let's go and fight the invaders for that crystal. I simply won't stand for it that a trusted ally, along with his whole home world is a prisoner of the enemy. We can't leave them to fend for their lives alone?"
"You mean like we are, right now?" the Huntress whispers into the night.
The Squire, feeling a bit ashamed for his outburst, remebering his own weariness sits down again.
All of them look into the dying fire, lost in thought. Nobody can deny the truth she has spoken just now. Each day, they are fighting to protect themselves and others from a grisly fate at the hands of the invaders.
The Monk, having listened to everything so far with his usual quietness and never even moving, suddenly stands up, leaves his friends sitting in silence and disappears into the black night. The others, knowing full well about his way of doing things, look at his back and then return their gaze to the glowing embers.
The minutes pass slowly, as the three of them think on everything that has been said, remember old fights and new and deliberate on what to do. Just as the embers are almost burning out, the Monk returns to them, carrying 5 thick branches. He crouches down next to the glowing embers and starts carefully arranging the branches in a circle, each branch supporting the weight of the others. He finishes, gets up and returns to his old space. The others, having watched curiously, look at him, waiting for some sort of signal. He just stares at the embers and the branches.
After a while, the branches start to burn, and the fire shines brighter than before.
"So you agree, that we should try to save the crystal and our friend?" the Squire asks tentatively. Shivering with both the cold of the night and with anticipation, the Apprentice adds: "In my opinion, the potential gain of a powerful ally as well as an enormous source of power, outweighs the risks."
"So you guys want to go into the heart of the enemy territory, right into a fortified castle full of enemies, just the four of us, stirring up some trouble?" the Huntress asks.
"Just like old times!" the Squire laughs, beaming with barely contained glee.
"Well, why didn't you say so from the start?" the Huntress replies, grinning almost as wide as the Squire.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, hope you liked it.

Props to anyone who can tell which crystal I'm talking about. A quick hint: It is actually in the first game, but you never defend it.

That. Was. Awesome. I love how it ties everything together, even the additional Summoner class. If he does make a return to DD 2, this'll be a great backstory. As for the crystal you speak of... Is it the one in the tavern?

Don't be too harsh in your comments, writing like this is absolutely a first for me

Honestly, you are a good writer. You have a few spelling/grammer mistakes and also need to know the rules of paragraphs when switching between different people talking. Other than those simple issues you use great imagery, powerful adjectives... I wish I could write like this. Kudos!

Well, I put in paragraphs were it seemed sensible (to me), I didn't really think of "rules", since this isn't an essay or some sort of thesis. Please feel free to correct me, especially spelling&grammar.

And thanks a lot for the kudos.

Thanks a LOT for the praise.

No, it's not the one in the tavern (I didn't even think of that, good point).

You do defend the tavern crystal on the map tavern defense. So you are still all good with only one crystal that isn't defended!

Being able to write well is a skill with so much value that it's hard to describe. Creativity and written communication skills will get you far. I don't know how old you are, and it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that you enjoy doing it and have a talent for it. Let it blossom and keep at it. Whether writing fiction, instructions, poetry, or something else doesn't matter.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the job I wanted, the raise I wanted, and perhaps in a case or two, the girl I wanted because I was a better writer than my competitor. It's all the more important because of the digital nature of the world now. You are judged by how well you write, and people who write well have many intangible advantages over those who don't. Keep putting more distance between yourself and those who write less well; you'll never regret it.

http://forums.dungeondefenders2.com/showthread.php?109529-360-R-E-D-Team-Event-Teaser-The-Quest-for-The-Four-%28not-a-sign-up-thread%29

http://forums.dungeondefenders2.com/showthread.php?111387-360-R-E-D-Event-Team-Teaser-The-Relic-of-the-Old-One

Main menu is right. But not the one in front. The yellow one in the back!

Good job for guessing it!

Well, as it was in the main menu long before the release of Talay (and its actually the third assault map, that has similar surroundings) and is completely different from all the other crystals we see, that was the one I thought of.

Being able to write well is a skill with so much value that it's hard to describe. Creativity and written communication skills will get you far. I don't know how old you are, and it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that you enjoy doing it and have a talent for it. Let it blossom and keep at it. Whether writing fiction, instructions, poetry, or something else doesn't matter.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the job I wanted, the raise I wanted, and perhaps in a case or two, the girl I wanted because I was a better writer than my competitor. It's all the more important because of the digital nature of the world now. You are judged by how well you write, and people who write well have many intangible advantages over those who don't. Keep putting more distance between yourself and those who write less well; you'll never regret it.

Wow, that's some praise I'm getting. Thank you very much!

Especially considering two things. 1) English is not my first language (I'm actually german, but I studied it at university). 2) I usually pride myself in speaking quite well, not writing.

Insanely happy, humbled and proud right now.

Neat story, my only thing id like to add, and you mentioned you were new to writing so thats fine.

When switching characters add a new paragraph. Also you don't need a dialog tag everytime someone talks. One of my books has something like this

Lily, stuck her head in the cupboard next to the sink, "Where did you put all the cereal?"
Her father peaked around the corner, "Umm, it's gone."
"Where is it?"
Her father chuckled and walked away.

You can tell a story with very little words. You knew who was talking that entire bit and I never said the words "he said," or "she proclaimed," those are not bad, but there are so many ways to make your writing active. I may just be burnt from publishers because they prefer to publish smaller books now because of the economy. So I have had to learn to write with less words and still have the same meaning.

Anywho I liked the story, keep it up. I was thinking about writing some lore for the game just for fun.

Thanks and thanks again for the praise and the constructive criticism.

I was thinking about going on with the story. Currently, this is like the very talky beginning of LotR, which only lore-geeks like myself really like. Next would be the action-filled actual return to the castle. Could be very fun to write, but it seems quite daunting.

I'll probably write some other "lore-shorties" to practice first.