A frustrated player in need of advice.

Good afternoon!

I've been playing Dungeon Defenders awhile now, been reading alot of guides hints and tips of how to get somewhere and I am to all extents a solo player, I like to play games and beat them my way without the aid or support of people boosting me.

However, despite my love of the game...the difficulty curve and gear curve is utterly, totally broken, poorly balanced and wrong. Short of farming certain maps hundreds of times hoping for that one random drop which rolls the stats you require(Which by the way is not a fun thing to do), not only this getting INTO nightmare at the start is like trying to cut a tree down with a feather as it falls on you. My currently example of this is trying to get a seahorse for my Barb as I brought a cheap one the last time I got frustrated with the lack of progression.

NMHC AQ - I can pretty much AFK the rounds with my towers. Once they are up and the buff beams are up I can AFK. However the boss one shots my DPS char, and is not targetable by towers cept minons which when you are dead is not very useful. So I have the issue that my level of gear and stats on my DPS char isn't up to par, or power level a squire and cheese it with a 100 block weapon which I think I will still get killed by the 'invisible' ink shot. Even off of HC this boss wrecks my defense while I am dead even with minon walls it's just frustrating and the rising water makes it impossible just to 'survive' through by abusing mage minons.

It implies I need a level of gear above where I am to do something LOWER then the gear I need. It's backwards.

So I came to ask experienced players if I am missing something, is there an item I could be farming or maybe just some hint to getting the gear solo to break through nightmare particularly when dealing with the broken nightmare bosses compared to the waves. A run down would probably help. I use a series of Chars to help me through Countess builder, Aura Monk, DPS Monk, Summoner, EV and leveling a Barb.

Char - Role - Level - Stats

Countess/Builder/81/1094/2038/1308/1170
Summoner/Builder/79/1874/1937/1217/836
Monk/DPS/89/1169/1916/631/320 - Resistances in Tavern 90/72/90/69
Monk/Builder/1159/1813/1618/1258

I left out the Series EV as I only use her for buff beams and my Barb is still lacking gear.

I am using mostly Kobald on treatmills for the builders from Insane Pure survival tavern defence, my DPS monk has a crap seahorse I brought to actually get me into NM in the first place and various weapons from Kings Game and Mythical level items in set with the mostly correct stats leveled up.

So, where to go. Akatiti (spelling? :S) jungle is currently way too hard to farm the weapons, the Seahorse is too hard because the boss 1-shots me with invisible projectiles despite AFKing my way through the waves. What I can do is NMHC Survival Kings game up to a high wave most likely (Not actually invested hours into waiting for all the waves to go through) So where do I go? What do I do to break through this wall I hit if you could give me any advice on breaking this silly rut I am in would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chipmyster

PS - I hope trendy learn from the silly difficulty curve in DD2 which I am very very much looking forward to.

Great job trying to solo. I like seeing people try things before getting someone to carry them or just help them.

With your stats you should be able to do several things.

Seahorse - Aquanos Survival NMHC - This comes from Wave 20 of Aqua survival and not beating the Kraken on Campaign. If your defense is AFKable during campaign on NMHC, then you can probably reach wave 20 without too much of a problem. Getting a mega chicken from Tinker's Lab survival would be great to obtain as well.

Weapons - Akatiti InsaneHC - If you are not able to make it through NM on Akatiti do not worry. Insane still gives great weapons up to ult++. Just takes some farming but would help your barb greatly if you need weapons.

Armor - Lab assault InsaneHC or NMHC - This is the best map for farming armor now as it takes only a few minutes per run and gives you lots of rewards. It can even give you sup, ult and ult++ armor if you are lucky. Worth the $2 investment and you should be able to run this yourself probably.

Level Characters - TD NMHC PS or Kings Game - With your stats you should be able to build these maps. Not sure what level your chars are at but additional hero points will always help too.

Kobolds - TD InsaneHC is the best to run for a kobold if you can manage it. Otherwise try TD NMHC PS instead of Insane PS.

If you feel like running a map with others, find a pub game or join the free runs group for a run. It is fun playing with others. I understand if some people prefer to play solo though.

Good luck.

Thanks for the fast reply, maybe I didn't invest enough in to resistances or something I still feel my char takes a crap load of damage when hit sometimes as for AQ...

EDIT - Most of the chars are 78+ at time of writing. My DPS monk is 90 because I use him the most to get me through difficult progression levels.

The problem was I could not do the campaign version of AQ NMHC, the kraken is a broken boss by ANY person who has tried. I actually literally just this second did it, by massing so many minions with healers and archers with 2 spiders that my main goal was to direct the krakens big attacks away from the 2x 6DU Buff beam lines worth of Minions so they have time to heal up....I dont think I personally did more then a few hundred thousand damage to the boss I spent most of it dead, waiting to respawn to thrown on tower buff long enough to heal / dps the boss. I lasted about 20 seconds in the longest period between respawning and dying.

Personally, I feel if I am able to cut back on my defence so much in all areas of the map to dedicate that much of a central defence the boss should not be so STUPIDLY difficult in comparison. I still have the same problem with any of the Lost Shards DLC, the waves I can deal with almost no problem after I have managed to put all the defence but the bosses and reduced weapon damage mean I am stuck for the bosses.

I will try Akatiti Insane HC and see if I can get some decent weapons as an upgrade from the NMHC Kings Game drops. I did already try doing NMHC Tavern Defence but I get the same problems, a total snooze fest up to the bosses only to get raped because reduced weapon damage and not having a great pet means I get just get killed and I dislike abusing the endless respawn to cheese my way through a level...(Like I just did with AQ)

Anyway thanks again!

Are there are particular weapons I should be aiming for with my DPS chars, or could you give me an example of stats I should look for when considering if they are 'good'? Alot of information and guides are full of old/dated things...

Defeating the Kraken on NMHC can be very frustrating. (especially without a guide) The cheesy way is to get a Squire with a weapon that has 100% block or better, and a good DPS pet. (Seahorse...) You place your back against a wall in the game, look towards the Kraken and hold Block all the time. Your Seahorse will do the damage and ultimately take him down, as long as your defenses hold up in the time it takes. The Kraken will focus on you, so he won't destroy your defenses, especially if you're not standing directly next to them.

The other way to do it is to use your monk and circle around him. Never stop moving and just keep circling him. Easier said then done...

If you're still trying to defeat him on your own, think about the area you will be fighting the Kraken and make yourself a little base if you have the spare MU/DU. A line on archers/minions in the area you will be blocking or circling can be surprisingly effective.

Once you finally beat the toughest Boss in the game (my opinion), it will open up Survival NMHC on that map and you won't have any problem farming seahorses.

You will not die holding block if you are at 100% or higher unless you take a direct shot to the back. (hence standing against a wall)

A barb works for the block technique if you don't have a Squire DPS.

Your best bet is to run a few maps on INHC to get to the loot levels in survival. If you can handle NMHC like ddace mentioned, then you can roll INHC survival. The loots may not be as spectacular, but it'll get you over that hump. Past wave 14, you'll start seeing myth but it won't be too great - your goal will be those pets. Either a decent seahorse or pkobold can give you that boost you need.

Using hero boost with a decent seahorse should get ya moving forward but what are your builds like? I remember being stuck on levels solo until I found the proper build methods then it was simple. A bunch of mages and a healing aura at the north crystal go a LONG way on NMHC aqua campaign. Running lab assault with the proper hero build would get your stats up there quickly though it somewhat gimps the progression by skipping the need to learn a quality build over just throwing more stats at things.

I would also suggest leveling a trapper a bit, gas traps are a lifesaver in NM campaign/survival before your (and sometimes after) you have high enough stats to support a build without.

Feel free to add me to take a look at your builds if you like!

Are there are particular weapons I should be aiming for with my DPS chars, or could you give me an example of stats I should look for when considering if they are 'good'? Alot of information and guides are full of old/dated things...

If you can do TD NMHC except for the boss then you can level your chars fairly easily to get more points on them. Just restart at the boss wave.

Obsidian Gladius for your barb is what you are looking for. An ult glad that can reach 50k and above shouldnt take too long. Plus obsidian weapons can have nice stats too.

You may also find an obsidian gladius that would be good for your countess and a sparus for your builder monk or DPS monk.

Obsidian clavas work well for an EV.

For armor you should try and do the Lab assault challenge on Insane HC and/or NMHC. This will give you great myth armor in a fraction of the time. Plus it gives nice accs as well which will help boost stats. The accs are definitely better on NM than Insane but Insane still give better accs than you find on a survival run or as a reward on a map. A few runs of that with AFK chars you will be finding upgrades and have lots of mana to upgrade equipment.

Check out the link in my signature the Power of Myth Gear. It is a thread that wat put together to show what myth gear can do. I added screenshots of my myth chars that I built from armor that many may throw away from their lab assault runs. I used godly and myth accs too from my NMHC runs.

As an update I downed the kraken and have begun farming myself a better seahorse, no luck as of yet. I did have to put basically ALL my minons where the kraken spawned and die my way through it...

Although I am seeing the benifit of Atkatiti jungle on insane I have yet to yield anything of real worth in about 10 runs sadly, but I will keep going. NM Kings game weapon rewards have been doing until now. I am able to just about do this with 3-AFK's for the last wave. It takes awhile but I've managed to get a defence which works for insane. Just 430 Million HP when I do about 350K per bolt with a monk takes awhile. + my pet likes to attack ogres rather then the boss half the time (>.>)

I'll check my resistances in game for you eagle but I was pretty close to 90 generic and above 60 in all other areas on my Monk, my barb is still lacking due to lesser gear.

I will point out that you should be running TD Insane HC Survival, not Nightmare, not Pure strategy, to farm kobolds. I have gotten several with 4 capped stats (600) from that. I have run many TDNMHCPS runs and have not seen even one capped stat. And, as I understand it, running NM survival causes the RNG to give out lots of very negative stats.

Lab Assault insane HC should be beatable with your stats and can give you some very nice accessories. You should look for 150+ on hero health and damage from each piece giving you almost 500 point boost to those stats on your monk. Along with the 90% resists in NM (your resists should add up to 164%), it would help your pet do more damage and you monk to not die as much.

One more thing. The obsidian gear from Akatiti is actually more powerful than it looks by the numbers. You should actually compare the damage numbers from using the weapons. Apparently the hero damage scaling for obs weapons is much greater than for most. I.e., a 20k obsidian sparus will do more damage than a 20k floor drop. My most powerful weapon is a 48K obs Clava on my jester that can do 4 to 6 million DPS in nightmare.

One more thing. The obsidian gear from Akatiti is actually more powerful than it looks by the numbers. You should actually compare the damage numbers from using the weapons. Apparently the hero damage scaling for obs weapons is much greater than for most. I.e., a 20k obsidian sparus will do more damage than a 20k floor drop. My most powerful weapon is a 48K obs Clava on my jester that can do 4 to 6 million DPS in nightmare.

That's very interesting to know, does this work for say all of them? Including the ones for the barbrians? I just threw one away because it was not as good but knowing this makes me feel stupid!

I read about the pure strat for the Kobolds this is how I managed to get partly to where I am now! The internet is very useful sometimes. But the cap is 600 stats? That's a bit more then I have in anything which is very interesting...I'll have to farm some more.

I know this might sound like a stupid question to you guys, but what stats am I looking for with a decent seahorse? I really don't know what 'good' is in terms of upgradews and such...

Thanks for the overwhelming replies to help me out!

15k into Base Damage is good but not the best. If I remember correct than 22k is pretty decent. You have a higher chance to drop a few 17-20k seahorses.

To be honest your stats are pretty poor on your chars. i played allot now and i cant really remember where i got all my gear from, but it was sure as hell not lab assault. I ran it over 100 times with 4 afk chars and didnt get a single usefull piece of gear nor weapon. My stats are around 3000 - 4000 on tower for all classes and my dps is around 3000 on hero damage.

But i think its still hard/ maybe even impossible to do maps like akatiti jungle on nightmare. i wont even survive the first wave mostly.

I think the most important thing in this game is being patient and grow slow. sometimes you get a piece of gear slightly better then yours equip it and move on. bit by bit you will grow in strenght until you reach stats between 3000 and 4000. i cant imagine getting higher because i think its almost impossible to do so. after that its all about how you build... in wich im not very good at. But thank god we have youtube for that ^^

My stats are around 3000 - 4000 on tower for all classes and my dps is around 3000 on hero damage.

But i think its still hard/ maybe even impossible to do maps like akatiti jungle on nightmare. i wont even survive the first wave mostly.

... after that its all about how you build... in wich im not very good at.

I agree it is about the build most of the time and you will get better and grow as you continue to do it just like you said with the armor. If you have not checked it out yet, I would recommend looking at the videos wat made. He ran many of the more difficult maps with just 3k stats. Click on the Power of Myth link in my signature to check it out.

To be honest, I've managed to come up with and do my own builds and adaptations which have worked for me allowing me to get through Kings Game on insane for the weapons when I had crap stats, and even some nightmare maps, making use of a DPS monk with the aura to heal towers, then hero for killing down ogres and such. Not wanting to seem egotistical I just felt I had to put ALOT of work into the early transition to nightmare to get where I am today.

I want to try firstwave NM akatiti just to see if I can survive. Sure as hell wont do the boss even with just 1 char out but would be fun to get a gauge of where I currently am I guess!

I have my goals with resistances I just have questions to ask...I obviously need an upgrade in weapons gear and pets. Pets are sorted just need to drop one, next. I need some idea of decent 'armour' for DPS. I can get max resists using the NM gear I am seeing but I will lose a HUGE amount of stats in all areas, it is seemingly impossible to find that armour that has Hero health/damage while still having good upgrades and resists on....OH and not to forget the equipment set bonus hindering me.

So my question is, as players when you see myth armour drops for DPS what are you looking for? What makes that piece better and decent? Am I just worrying too much about the stats rather then resists or what not? This would be VERY useful in my hunt, and yes I am able to use my summoner to AFK for only armour drops on Kings Game NM survival (But I die around wave 17/18 :( )

Again thanks for the replies it's very useful as are the links!

I also play a lot of solo. U might want to build a booster monk that helped me a lot during boss fights.

Is this an AFK char that you level up hero boost on or something similar? I'm more then happy to give everything a try once :P

Is this an AFK char that you level up hero boost on or something similar? I'm more then happy to give everything a try once :P

Semi afk. U must activate ability 2 while fighting the boss while u use ur main dps.

Yes. However many people combine the hero boost and DPS functions in one char. For Akatiti I believe you need 2.5k in hero boost. Add a mega chicken, a cowboy monkey or a seahorse and your AFK monk can boost your DPS barb and deal out high damage from the pet. Also the monk hero boost stacks on top of the prop cat hero boost on your barb so that the boss goes down in a few seconds.

I want to try firstwave NM akatiti just to see if I can survive. Sure as hell wont do the boss even with just 1 char out but would be fun to get a gauge of where I currently am I guess!

If you got a few builders then you may want to take a look at my guides/builds inside the signature. For the boss fight on Akatiti I strongly advise a DPS Monk as active char (great support for your towers too). You don't need 327228 points into Hero Boost nor on other stats. You just need resis, some hp and dmg (2k'ish or better) and a half decent shooting pet e.g. a 30k Mega Chicken. Stat points doesnt mean much on NM.

If you solo the boss as Monk then you have no issues. If you use another char for being afk then choose a char with resis and having a cat equipped to stay close to the boss area ...

You've got some excellent advice in this thread. I'd suggest reading the guide on upgrading armor. http://forums.dungeondefenders2.com/showthread.php?90455-Guide-How-to-upgrade-your-resists-with-the-least-upgrades

Getting your resistances fixed for your active dps characters will help a lot.

Your problem in Aquanos is basically that you've worked on your builders and you hit a wall where you need good hero dps to kill a boss.

For armor upgrades you can either run lab assault or run nightmare survivals. (lab assault is faster) It's usually easier to find builder upgrades than dps hero upgrades. Your builder gear just needs tower stats, your hero dps gear needs resistances, hp, hero attack, +/- hero special abilities.

To be honest your stats are pretty poor on your chars. i played allot now and i cant really remember where i got all my gear from, but it was sure as hell not lab assault. I ran it over 100 times with 4 afk chars and didnt get a single usefull piece of gear nor weapon. My stats are around 3000 - 4000 on tower for all classes and my dps is around 3000 on hero damage.

I think the most important thing in this game is being patient and grow slow. sometimes you get a piece of gear slightly better then yours equip it and move on. bit by bit you will grow in strenght until you reach stats between 3000 and 4000. i cant imagine getting higher because i think its almost impossible to do so. after that its all about how you build... in wich im not very good at. But thank god we have youtube for that ^^

Making or finding a good build is more important than having the highest possible stats. 3k+ tower stats is more than enough to do Akatiki NM. I can do Akatiki NM with 3 afk's and my builder stats are 3-3.5k. Akatiki needs a decent build and good hero dps to kill the boss.

I just recently ran 3 TD survival runs with 3 AFKs and got exactly one nice piece of armor - ult TDmg capping chain boots - which popped out of a chest on wave 20. When I finally beat it, I got 4 crappy kobolds and 1 piece of trans armor with 282 ups. The only other piece I pulled out was a supreme skeletal blade with over 400 in a couple of tower stats. If I ever build a tower jester it may be useful (I already have the Halloween bone saw for my countess).