Sign in to follow this  
Siimon_Sama

Negative stats?

Hi guys,
Would you like to see negative stats in DD2? Maybe remove them completely? Please let us know by voting in this pool & leave a comment below to tell us why.

I personally think they should be removed completely or placed wisely on items/weapons (putting negatives on hero stats for a twr weapon & vice versa).

Thank you for reading.

There is no pool nor poll :)

Negative stats are rarely ever anything good, some in the stream brought up the negative missle speed was somewhat fun, but that is totally seperate from core stats. Core stats being negative is pointless to have, and makes almost every item that has it worthless.

Edit: poll shows up after I post. No indication of a pool however.

I don't care much either way. I've always liked the idea of a weapon that swings faster but does less damage per swing VS a weapon that swings slower but does more per swing, but that's not really the same thing as a weapon with good damage but low tower stats, because that weapon is designed for characters who would ignore towers. To them, there is no drawback.

Still, I don't mind either way.

id like for them to be removed completely.

say you find a weapon with negative tower stats, but all positive hero stats. well, obviously, you give that weapon to a character that wont be building things, but will be fighting the ogres and bosses. no drawbacks. why have negatives at all in that case?

to make negatives worth keeping, they would need to show up on a weapon with high damage, positive hero damage, and negative hero health and defense. it makes you do ridiculous damage, but if you take just a bit, youre going to die. the negative stats need to be the opposite of the positives, instead of being unrelated completely. high health, but no cast speed? who cares, you can just sit and tank while you upgrade! high speed but no damage? kinda worthless, sure you can be everywhere, but you cant do anything.

id like for them to be removed completely.

say you find a weapon with negative tower stats, but all positive hero stats. well, obviously, you give that weapon to a character that wont be building things, but will be fighting the ogres and bosses. no drawbacks. why have negatives at all in that case?

to make negatives worth keeping, they would need to show up on a weapon with high damage, positive hero damage, and negative hero health and defense. it makes you do ridiculous damage, but if you take just a bit, youre going to die. the negative stats need to be the opposite of the positives, instead of being unrelated completely. high health, but no cast speed? who cares, you can just sit and tank while you upgrade! high speed but no damage? kinda worthless, sure you can be everywhere, but you cant do anything.

You know, I was about to say something exact opposite to this. After reading your post, I am inclined to agree with you.

I was going to say 'if there's going to be negatives, but them only in the tower section or hero section but not both'. That would do nothing to promote balanced gameplay though. Thank you for offering your opinion on this!

If I may, I'd like to offer a potential solution. Instead of having 8 out of 10 stats of a given item, what if it was only 2 or 3 max, no matter how good the item is? That way you would NEVER have to deal with negative stats, and you'd always have to choose what advantages you'd want to focus on.

I'd agree with Gigazelle if we don't end up with the one desirable stat and others are always being a secondary one. In DD1 if a piece of armor didn't have Hero Damage or Tower Damage it was useless to players.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Negative stats can be used in a positive way. It is the RNG in DD1 that ruins the concept. Its all about give and take.

I agree with this.

Personally I would like no negatives, but if they were worked on, so that they couldn't end up completely ruining a gear set, i wouldn't mind.

Like say the max "myth" helm can give you in one stat is 100

max for negative should not exceed 50, because that makes and rng be able to ruin the best that armor has to offer.

Negatives could be done away with altogether if we just lessened the number of attributes a weapon could have. When you played through DD1 your first time, you got weapons and armor with only 2-3 attributes. Negative attributes were effective there, and oft times you would equip one with negative attributes because the positives outweighed the negatives. Subsequently, your play style was significantly altered with that piece of equipped gear.

It was only until after Nightmare was introduced that negatives became a major bane. You had 8 out of 10 stats that would always be boosted or negative, and two stats with zero. You could completely do away with negative stats if you lessened the max number of stats down to like 4 or 5, which would make the other 5 or 6 stats zero. This kind of thing would also promote hero vs. tower builds, since there is only a certain number of stats that could be improved on a given piece of equipment at any time.

It totally depends on how they decide to implement both loot and stats. Not every piece of loot can be the best loot, but it depends on factors like how much loot is given, what gives it, what stats we have, how they work, etc. I don't mind it as a balancing factor if it's not over the top.

I don't really have an issue with negative stats, but I think a good idea might be for them to only show up on lower quality items, as that can actually be somewhat fun to make decisions on what's best for you at that time. I think once you get to high quality items, stats shouldn't drop below 0. That way when you find that perfect item that completes your set, it doesn't become useless because of the negative.

Thinking back to DD1, I remember early on finding items that had negative stats but also good stats and having to think about what best fit my current situation.

Keep the negatives the way they were in DD1, and let's just add in a cash sink. Why not have a place where you can take x item and combine it with y item to get z item for P cost?

The first item in the first slot will be the dominant item (which has a higher chance of adding it's stats) while the second item will be the item that is meant to receive the stat bonuses.

Or

we could have a place to re-roll item stats for a fairly high cost, depending on the item.

The less mana that there is in the game, the better. Playverse coins can't take over like item for item trading did in DD1.

My 2 cents ~

Not a big fan of Neg stats. Found that they made finding gear sets a total pain. Way to much time was spent stuck in bottlenecks because of the time needed to farm up a good set of gear. Leave a stat out or just put things that use to be Neg to "1". I dont know how many times i would find a piece of gear that was clearly meant for one type of gear set (say builder) only to have one huge neg stat also in that category.

Here's an idea. How about, items can't spawn with negative stats, however when you upgrade an item, in addition to raising one stat, some items will require you to lower another stat(which can be selected by you). The lowered stat must from the same type(hero stats or tower stats) so that it's actually a sacrifice rather than free stats for tower/dps heroes who would choose to downgrade dps/tower stats respectively. Maybe items that require you to lower more than one stat but give a larger increase to the stat that's upgraded could be considered as well.

Remove them completely but reduce the value of high number on single stats so it won't be ridiculously powerful. So a 45 in a stat would be the equivalent of let's say 25 in DD1.

I liked negative stats in DD1 because it allowed other stats to be inflated. You could really increase a certain stat you were looking for, dmg vs tank OR tower vs dps. Say you have a tower builder specialized in walls, you wanted high tower health at the cost of tower dmg, it was fun setting up those builders. I really liked the variety of builder types that DD1 had, rather that a jack-of-all-trades. I also like more of a variety of stats on gear, it really makes the min/max choices feel like you have to think about them, rather than a quick choice. Allowing negative numbers can really increase the variety of gear seen without increasing the number of stats. At the same time, increasing the number of stats and stat cap will decrease the chances of getting something you want and increase the look at all the useless junk I just found feeling which bothered a lot of ppl. Maybe if a good balance could be found between both

I think it's important for the loots versatility to have negative stats. It allows for a wider range of random stats, and can create interesting builds.

Not a huge fan of negative stats either. If they had to be in, I think they'd need a serious rework because I felt more screwed over usually than anything when you got a pretty decent drop that was just completely negated by one or two bad stats. That can maybe happen occasionally, but for a loot based game you want to be rewarding people for winning, not just having them praying to the RNG gods that they get something that might possibly be slightly useful.

I think negative stats on gear is fine, if having a negative stat adds to positive stats. IE it is not just a random big number, but if you can fidn an item with negative in stuff you don't care about it means it is likely to have even more positive in stuff you do care about. Also as long as what is negative is not just totally random. It does not have to be all the time, but having an item with +100 in two tower stats but then -100 in two other tower stats is really annoying. It can happen sometimes, but should be less likely to happen than having negative in player stats when it has good positives in tower stats or the other way around.

Negative stats pre-nightmare actually brought something to the table. They provided an alternate playstyle to your character without being a massive hinderance.

My first playthrough as a huntress, I found a really high DPS gun for my level at the time. It had a huge negative reload speed penalty, but a decent clip size. Since I didn't want to pass up that huge DPS advantage, I ended up using the gun only against ogres and lanes starting to get overwhelmed, rationing that single clip the entire wave. Once the next build phase came, I reloaded since you reload like 10x faster there. That was probably one of my favorite guns to use, since it significantly altered my play style to use it.

Negative stats post-nightmare were nothing but annoyances and gear ruiners. If negative stats were there to provide an alternate playstyle, and not just there to be a stick in the mud, they could make the game a lot more fun. If there was a gun in nightmare that dealt 10x damage than any other gun but only fired 1/10th the speed, that's a negative stat I could tolerate. The trouble is in DD1 stats couldn't go that high, so it was always a matter of finding the fastest firing gun with the most damage increase per level.

I'm inclined to agree with most of the consensus I read in that I don't necessarily want neg stats gone but they need to be used more wisely and less in any new random item generator.