Sign in to follow this  
Iyashii

Pet Companions

I would hate to see the pet system removed from the game. I know during the twitch tv it was mentioned there may not be pets, but I would very much propose otherwise.

We don't need the pet system that we had before. Something more like animal companions than pets. Preferably something akin to what Torchlight 2 has. We can move away from the "cutesy" style that DD had and move to a style that is more "mature" that DD2 has.

What does the rest of the Council Members think?

I would like to a new type system where a pet is seen more as a way to enhance either your hero or your towers(not like guardians in DD1). I never like the ideas of pets doing damage themselves. All kinds of things can be done when it comes to enhancements though.

I hope they add customization to our pet(s). Maybe even skin(s) &/or accessories for them.

Also, I know I'm dreaming, but I would like to see mounts in DD2. Idk, maybe that's just me. :/

The thing about the old Pets was that they really were just like pieces of equipment rather then pets. Like equipping an auto-turret that rested on your shoulder. I would definitely like to see Pet AI expanded upon to make them really fight alongside you, rather then float next to you and sometimes do a thing.

I am very much in agreement that pets should stay. I would like to see their number of upgrades comprise just a small portion of their value, with the rest of their value gained through xp, like characters. A 100^ animus might need 50 hours of gameplay to be as good as the 40^ animus that has 200 hours of gameplay already. I'd like to see "relationship synergy" exist between pets and characters that develops over time, perhaps separate and distinct from what I just described about pet xp.

Perhaps a pet (I like "companion" as a term) only appears to a player upon certain milestones, everyone gets the same ones with the same stats (or a very, very narrow range) and how much you use it determines its ultimate value? Maybe you only get a squire animus the first time you beat the summit on each difficulty?

Kind of the minority here, but oh well >.<

I actually liked the old pet system. Get rid of any type of "quick upgrading" your pet, and make it based upon battle time (gaining exp by the pet getting kills, not you). Also, the pet system could use some more fancier detailing and outlining. I feel as though the range should be something that is upgradable somehow---whether that be from using some form of "level up points" on the pets when they level up, or have it upgrade naturally based upon some sort of "nature" or whatever you want to call it.

Pets should take the rolls of (Stat boosters [higher than normal],damage dealer, healers, buffers, tower support, and placable defences [STAY pet STAY])

My favorite kind of pet would be a rock that i can throw and pick back up again. making a blockade for mobs to walk around. Rock would get bigger like in DD1 as it levels up. The bigger it is in level the more damage it does. maybe even have its own damage stat that effects how dense it is and a speed seeing how fast it can be thrown.

+1 this post for more pet rolls and seeing this love able rock get in to DD2

Pets should be viewed as a species in the DD universe.

Pets should have personality! Program them as curious creatures. Animate pets in the backgrounds of environments. It would serve as a great lure. Pets should also have basic sim-like AI. Program them on a elastic trail system. Allow pets to wander off and become interested in its surroundings.

DD pets could share in the same addictive qualities of Pokemon. I say go big.

Going big with the pets as a major part of this game would be awesome! having a pet AI like training them to do things or leveling them up o they know "stay" "follow" and "hunt" would be nice to see (as simple commands there may be more complex commands as the game gets better). Trainable pets I like this idea!

+1 this post if you like trainable pets that can learn commands