Step-to-Move Attacking

When playing a squire I noticed this and I thought it was a bug because when I moved backwards while attacking it would cause my character to turn and look like it is attacking me. It turns out it is not a bug. I was in a session with Iamison last night and I mentioned that a bug on squire was still happening. He asked what I was talking about. I explained. He then said it wasn't a bug but was something called Step-to-Move. I think that is what he called it.

I personally find it seriously annoying that my character moves when I do an attack. I find it hard to control and predict what is going to happen especially when holding down attack.

Even more so when moving Side-to-Side or Backwards it will turn your hero and they are not longer attacking the enemy.

I can see where this might be useful when moving forward but certainly not when moving other directions.

Not sure if this is happening on other heros. I don't use this type of Melee attack on the others.

Iamisom suggested I start a poll regarding this to see what the community thoughts were on the subject. Here it is.

I voted other: I feel that there should be separate combos and move speeds when attacking in different directions, but you should always be facing the direction your camera is facing.

What I mean by this, is if you were to attack while holding A or D, you would side strafe and your character would play a different animation then when you were moving forward. While holding S, you move backwards and it plays another separate animation. So there would be "Strafing" and "Retreating" Combos. This would keep the game feeling more action-y, but would give the player more control by allowing them to strafe side-to-side if they want to stay in place, and allows them to carefully back up if they get in a bad position.

I also shouldn't have to mention this, but you should be able to switch between combos in the middle of a different one. (So if you were doing your forward combo, you could press S and you would start doing the Retreating combo.)

I played as the squire a few times but never noticed it auto moving backwards, however most of the time I was always moving forward towards the enemies. I know from DD1, that if you were close to a target the squire would automatically move towards the direction of the target when attacking. Personally, I like Aurao suggestion of making it an option in the settings. I personally never really liked the auto movement from DD1, as it can sometimes affect what you're trying to do. For instance, one problem I always had was when trying to attack low flying wyverns, you want to stay stationary above them so that you continue to hit them, but the auto movement seemed to force you out of position. Another issue with the auto movement is on maps with pits and causing you to easily die, such as endless spires from DD1, and even ones without pits in putting you out of position, where you can sometimes fall off ledges and then have to traverse back to where you need to be.

One other option that might work would be to base the movement on whether you're moving forward, so if you're not moving or moving side to side or backward, your character would not auto move to the target. If moving forward you would auto move to the target closest in front of you (like it did in DD1). This could also be part of the toggle option, e.g. "DD1 style" (always moves towards target), "New style" (described above), or "Off" (Never auto move).

• 1 month later...
Voted to make it a toggle, just since some people may want it.

Though I didn't like it very much as I kept falling off ledges when I was trying to attack. I'd like to stay stationary when I attack and just give control over my movement to my move controls and not the attack button.

I personally dislike the feature, and it seems most people in this thread do too. I'm actually quite interested in the views of those who prefer to use the feature, since I can only view it as an annoyance. I'm wondering if there's some nice benefit which I'm missing.

I personally dislike the feature, and it seems most people in this thread do too. I'm actually quite interested in the views of those who prefer to use the feature, since I can only view it as an annoyance. I'm wondering if there's some nice benefit which I'm missing.

In DD1, I had a Squire with *just* enough speed that I could use it to kite ogres without provoking snot balls. Same deal applies to orcs, actually.

Of course, from what you've described, that wouldn't work with the current implementation. Players should never have a need to attack things they can't see (i.e. things "behind" the camera) since that's a particularly cheap form of artificial difficulty, so there's no need to let them attack things they can't see. ;)

So here's the thing: traditional hack-and-slash combat mechanics with Mouse and Keyboard are awful. you have a grand total of 8 directions you can move, taking away all the precision you normally expect and want. And slapping on an auto-lock system is no good, because that creates a combat system with less feedback from the player as the game takes over and does the work for you. It is VERY obvious when a game uses auto-lock, and it makes fighting a lot less enjoyable.

So here's my suggestion: make the direction you're facing while attacking the same direction that the camera is pointed in. If we want to turn or kill an opponent to our left, make us turn the camera, rather then pressing WASD in the vague direction of our opponent while the game does the work for us.

Part 2 of my suggestion is to make a secondary "retreat" combo, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Not being able to fall pack while attacking really does you no favours, as it's too easy to get stuck otherwise. Again, this wouldn't be the same combo as the main combo, it would have it's own animation set as your character moves backwards. For example, the Squire Stabs out from behind his shield while walking backwards while holding "S".

For those that have watched the council video,

To me it seemed like pmasher was describing it in its current form in the Playtest's. Am I misunderstanding what he was describing? I just feel a bit confused on what the intentions are.

Can we get some clarification, if possible, from Trendy?

• 2 weeks later...
After playing in the latest playtest (6) I've come to a couple conclusions:

1. I still want it toggleable

2. Autolock + melee + mouse/keyboard = awful
The lock-on thing reminds me of the latest Neverwinter (Not Nights, the F2P MMO), I palyed as a Paladin in that and the only thing I could think was "What is the point in having a cleaving attack when it auto targets to a single target". I want to be able to aim between two enemies precisely and hit both, not attempt that but have auto lock pull me to one or the other missing the other one.

3. If the step size was reduced, maybe by like half, it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad, it's the fact it feels like he's lunging that makes it really awkward

yeah i saw / tested this in the latest playtest.

Perhaps if i could zoom out more at least i wouldnt mind so much but it did make fighting and backstepping very difficult

One of the biggest advantages of the squire is his ability to cleave a safe zone in front of himself and behave like a human barricade. While plowing into enemies can be satisfying, if the enemy doesn't die in 2 hits you will end up plowing past them and they will turn to hit you in the back.

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be continuing to tweak/improve our melee combat. We're going to look into the issue where you fall off a ledge while attacking, the inability to hit certain targets and the floatiness of the combat animations.

• 9 months later...

I agree, the combination of this and auto targeting causes a lot more issues then it solves. The step attack is a pain as half the time you move past enemies.  Being able to stay in one spot and hold a section (especially with the squire's shield block) would be great for strategy. An option to remove the auto targeting for both melee and range would be nice too as head shots are auto crits, and auto target doesn't always target the right location or mob.