Loot system - need/greed/pass system

A very basic need/greed/pass system for loot, that the host can enable/disable (so they can decide how to fairly distribute the loot from a selection of different choices)

(the options to choose it would happen when someone picked it up, and would happen during a "loot phase")

Need/Greed/Pass is a decade old system that is a poor prescription for the resistant bacteria you wish to cure.

Instanced Looting is the fluoroquinolone of looting mechanics. Need/Greed/Pass intentions are good; but the systems ambitions far exceed the actual results which is why modern developers have opted for Instanced Looting instead.

Right diagnosis, wrong prescription.

Need/greed wouldn't be very good for this game if there is even half as much loot as the first game. "Ok, this wave dropped about 40 pages of loot, let's go through each one and decide who needs it!"

I feel everyone's loot drops should be specifically for them, and only for the character that they are currently playing. I know this creates some problems, like if you're grinding for a builder spec'd hero's loot on a different character, but I'm sure your allies would give you something decent if you asked.

it really comes down to giving the host options -OR- making it were each person has there own loot.

lets say there are 4 types of loot bad good great god.

i host a game and set up that its FFA on bad good great, and make it were only i can loot god. what this does is cut down on TOTAL LOOT DROPPED but gives a great deal of power the host.

the other- everyone getting there own loot to drop means that in survival games nearing the end the insane amount of mobs that could show up meaning the insane amount of loot that could drop can easily lag out bad - ok PC.

I throw my vote in for instanced loot. It streamlines play, stops any sort of bickering and off-spec/off-character drops could always be traded after the fact.

I hated the idea for loot like Diablo 2. Everyone just kills and watches the floor. DD1 was the same way. Every time something drops on the mini-map people race for it in pugs. Path of exile is the same way on Short Allocation. People stand on the good stuff waiting for the delay until they can pick it up. People aren't playing the game and having fun then, they are just standing around watching the ground.

I'm all for the Diablo 3 type of loot where you can only see your own. It means you kill everything glance around and move on.

I like the idea of a instanced loot system as well, one thing I hope they add though is the ability to view another players' inventory so you can quickly see if there are any items you'd be interested in.

I'm in for Instanced looting, I love instanced because you don't have to deal with "Do you want/need this?" conversations (Or prompted in MMO cases) but still allow end battle/build phase "Here, lets compare" or "Here take this, I don't need it" sharing/trading.

I agree with instance looting as well, as pv_Beslan said, a player may not want to deal with the debate over who should get an item. I know personally, if me and my friend were playing DD1, and something nice dropped (Both apprentices) then he would get over as fast as possible to get it, occasionally ask if it was a green item for me as well. If a accessory dropped, at first we took turns getting them, but it stopped mattering. So for instance looting, I'd say that its the best bet, because you don't have to worry about the item that you want, but I need to be here NOW to defend, so someone else takes it. The downside to this, is that with instance looting, you either have to decrease the rarity of an item, or to have a rare item drop for only one person out of the group, since 4-? players would get a rare item. Another possibility is to give each player a different rare item, and so it doesn't cheapen the one you just got.

Instance looting is need cause each gets their own rewards. i say keep that. DD1 had it. It needs to tweeked a bit so crap isn't give out as a reward. If Trendy moves toward this type of system for all loot within the game. The best stuff shouldn't come from what is just handed out for completely something. I wanna see a market in the game that isn't inflated.

Too much has yet to be seen when it comes to what gear we will or will not have, what will or will not drop, etc. The worst thing in DD1 with loot was these 2 things. One being the RNG and the other being the abundance of weapons over armor when on a char like a monk. 1 slot vs 4 slots yes we get the most for the one slot. Also DD1 was broke on what it saw as an upgrade and lots of it rotted.

Instanced loot ftw! Are we all in agreement?

separate loot only encourages hacking your items in because they are not seen by the others. no thanks!

separate loot only encourages hacking your items in because they are not seen by the others. no thanks!

Not that hacking in items will even be possible when everything is handled server-side.

It's funny, when Diablo 3 was coming out I hated the idea of instanced looting. Once I was playing it though I liked that I could play and not compete against others for clicking when the boss died. I could relax and have fun.

Also whether I can see the item or not is besides the point. It's not like seeing an item by a player makes it ok. You can hack an item based on where it was created not if a player can see it or not.

Server side loot means hacking is less likely.

Absolutely not!

It will separate the community. It will leave no market in the game. Some rewards done are nice but the vast majority of stuff which should include endgame stuff shouldn't be handed out easily. It should be farmed.

I know I am! If you're able to add in a poll with options me thinks Nystical should do that (As is, need/greed, and instanced options)

So if I were to play solo, my loot would all be potentially hacked because no one saw it drop besides me? If a piece of loot drops in the Mistymire forest and no one sees it dropped, is it potentially hacked? I don't see what the issue is if the loot is handled server side.

Absolutely not!

It will separate the community. It will leave no market in the game. Some rewards done are nice but the vast majority of stuff which should include endgame stuff shouldn't be handed out easily. It should be farmed.

I don't understand this at all. Instanced loot so only you can see it pick it up/would be randomly generated according to RNG/luck whatever. We wouldn't all recieve the same items, we'd recieve the same assortment of good/****/crap/useless/omgawesome stuff we always would. In the case of instanced items, we just wouldn't have to monitor the floor and worry some **** isn't going to abandon defense and loot it while we're plugging away in the wave. Or in the case of pub matches, we wouldn't have to worry about some idiot joining midway and hearing that distinct pick up noise the entire wave.

Path of Exile has an interest need/greed/pass system, where you can't pick up "nice" stuff, generally anything above magical tier gets allocated to one of the players in the party. They can choose whether to pick it up or ignore it, thereby opening it up to the next player. Everyone sees it and its more luck based who gets what.

If we were to get a similar system to Path of Exile, we'd need to get a better system in place to determine what and what isn't good loot wise. Some of the suggestions in the old DD1 were stupid.

Absolutely not!

Yea, I'm with BlackMageRose_13 on this, I don't really see how this would separate the community. The only thing I can think of you might be referring too is let's say 20 items are dropped in a wave in a non-instanced sense where 4 players were playing, then in an instanced sense that would be 80 items and flood the market with extra items. If that's the issue, I think the solution could be as simple as each players' instance would be a fraction of the total, so in the example above - 5 items for each player. Going with the n/g/p system would seem way too time consuming for players in a game like this (and probably wouldn't be easy from a development standpoint either).

i dont liked the looting from DD1. I was playing with a mate and we were playing with 2 players only cause we have often get to a high wave in Coop but get kicket at a high wave cause he was feard that someone take the loot he wantet to get. I think the DD1 loot only works with "premates".
I'm deeply ashamed to admit that i dont have a better idea and dont like seperatet loot :D

Absolutely not!

Instanced loot doesn't mean the loot you would pick up you can't trade. Also how would this make items be "handed out easily"?

There would still be as many items, and as good items dropped, but it would be evenly shared for everyone, instead of the fastest getting everything or something.

Nothing bad in this, or what do you think?

This is a really complex topic. If it was somehow easy to separate instanced loot for difficulties, for example 1 - easy, 2 - medium, 3 - hard, 4 - insane, 5 - nightmare, HC - +1, survival would iunno allow you to gamble your instanced loot. That would be really sweet! Or even like a really, really difficult mode that was meant as a challenge.

I'm thinking something ridiculous like 0 walking speed/no pets allowed/can't jump/map is upside down/anything to make the game really difficult. You got a bit of gear that was better than the usual drops, that only you could get and that was worthwhile for the challenge involved. It would just add an interesting element to the game to deviate from the current gameplay.

Game host should be able to lock/unlock loot pickups like you can in your tavern in DD1.

I've still been trying to think of how this would work well in a game like DD2. I've yet to come up with a way it can be implemented. Maybe I'm missing something obvious that won't make it either completely annoying to deal with or sloppy as well as keeping it fair at the same time.

Can you all elaborate, in detail, how you would implement it?

If the sheer quantity of loot is anything like DD (and I have good reason to think it will be), then such a system is not feasible, regardless of distribution method.