PlayVerse - What do you think?

This is going to sound overly harsh, but I really dislike having to deal with PlayVerse at all. I have no desire to deal with yet another "social network." I know competition is good, but for something like friends lists for gaming, I just don't need another one to manage. Some of us likely have XBox Live, PSN, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, League of Legends, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook... the list goes on and on. I don't see any advantages to managing yet another network of friends. What does PlayVerse get me that Steam integration couldn't do already?

PlayVerse is buggy right now, but that's not really my point. Trendy is certainly talented enough to fix the bugs - my point is that there's nothing really in it for me, the consumer. I *have* to use it to play DD2, but I get nothing out of it other than more hassle. What's the long term vision for it? I'd like to hear the arguments as to why I would want to spend the time and energy setting it up and maintaining it when it seems like Steam integration would be so much cleaner from a customer's perspective.

Thoughts?

I tend to agree, but my guess is they have overarching goals with the online that may not be possible with Steam integration, such as cross-platform interaction. I'll wait and see what it has to offer before I make up my mind.

I have to agree with Angra2142, I'm personally not going to like it if it's just another Overlay/Platform to deal with and currently it wasn't doing itself too many favors today by having these weird stutters whenever a message popped up, but if that gets ironed out and is made to do things that something like Steam wouldn't be able to handle, then I won't mind it.

I can't wait to see where it goes but if it turns into another overlay medium like Origin/Stardock that feels like an intrusive overlay that is just going to overlap with Steam and just get plain old annoying.
But on the other hand if it goes int he direction of Gamespy (Ignore the problems with gamespy and just think about that fact that DD1 used Gamespy for cross-platform multiplayer) then I will be happy as hell so long as Steam integration happens so we can just "invite to game" or "Join game" in Steam as we can in DD1.

Semi-off topic but I hope the server creation is a little more streamlined, being able to easily switch between public and private without blocking EVERYONE from joining. Was quite annoying Opening a Public game, turn it on private (While I build 'cause I liked to build myself then invite people) but because of how the private button worked in a public server you couldn't even invite people to join without turning off the private function for a bit.

Playverse is being very buggy atm, adding friends failing, slow profile load times, can't save social links, chat messages not saved. Of course it's still in development so it should be better later.

I would love to see DD2 on steam like DD1, with or without playerse in it to.

im not sure but i think, i have seen in the blog that it is confirmed that dd2 comes to steam guys ;D

I agree, it's not very seamless at all right now and is very jarring against the style of the game (it had this problem back in the old moba version too), hopefully we'll see a lot of improvement go into that...or I wouldn't be broken hearted if they just went with steams stuff too :)

Definitely agree with some of the people here, having to deal with a whole other service just seems like a bad idea. If it's just for the beta I can't complain, but honestly I, and probably others, would very much rather only see steam integration in the game. Or some way to turn off playverse and use steam.
(this game will still be on steam, yes? I haven't heard otherwise, and I can't see a reason to not have it on there)

I think I would like to open up this question to the developers as more of a round table discussion as to the mindset when making this move and investing money into it. This is not meant to be negative but more of a bridge to understand what you had going in your mind through the decision process.

Why did you decide to create your own social aspect vs. tying into an existing one?
What features are you using that don't already exist somewhere else?

I think I would like to open up this question to the developers as more of a round table discussion as to the mindset when making this move and investing money into it. This is not meant to be negative but more of a bridge to understand what you had going in your mind through the decision process.

Why did you decide to create your own social aspect vs. tying into an existing one?
What features are you using that don't already exist somewhere else?

Agreed. I know my post was pretty negative to start this whole thing, but that's mostly because I don't see the benefit to me as a consumer. What do I get out of PlayVerse that I couldn't get if DD2 was integrated with an existing service?

I see it as, and I hate to bring up this companies name in the same sentence as Trendy, Zynga made their own platform so they weren't completely dependent on Facebook for their game. I would hate to be completely dependent on Steam or any platform outside of my control.

I do think that the Playverse could open up cross-platform play. Although only PC is an option right now. I'm sure eventually they will do Andriod, IOS, Xbone, PS3/4, etc. However Xbox and Playstation would be their own entities. From what I've read both Microsoft and Sony do not want cross-platform and only a couple of games have ever done it. Along with the long QA and update process for those platforms, I don't think even DD1 got most of the DLC for DD1. At least no where near the same speed.

I also agree I don't like another friend list, social platform service. I've got my friends and since they have announced it's available on Steam I will play there with them.

The stuttering and hiccups in playverse im not so concerned about - its pre alpha. Im actually pretty impressed with the fact that most of the bugs ive seen are in regards to the overlay, rather than the actual game. I have confidence that they will get that all smooth as development continues.

I'm still in the same boat as the rest of you though, with regards to the WHY on playverse. In the twitch stream, they werent very well able to explain exactly what it is that playverse brings new to the table, other than possibly that it is easier for them to push game patches/hotfixes than it is through something like steam.

I'll wait and see if they have a better reason, but if that's it, I'm not sure they can justify playverse at all.