Sign in to follow this  
Blacksmith

Ranged Combat - First Council Seat Giveaway

1. in my opionion the streagnth of the ranged combat was the overall safety of the hero. it allowed you to clear waves of enamies without putting your hero in harms way of doing so.
2. the biggest weakness of the system in my opionion was that it was too strong. the weapons overall was stronger than melee weapons as well as the added bonus of taking less dmg.
3. i would lower the dmg from ranged weapons or increase the dmg from melee weapons to balance the streagnth differential between the two.
4. the projectile type i would love to see is a boomerange type weapon. one teh you throw out and it takes a certain arc that is determanded by the ranged stat of the weapon.

1. What were the biggest strengths of Dungeon Defenders' Ranged Combat system?

Well besides the obvious potential damage you can do from a ranged position, I would say their mobility is one of their strengths. They tend to move faster but they also have abilities that not only help them get around but are also fun as hell to use. Things like the jet packs, stealth and decoys not only work and make navigating the hordes of monsters easier, it also gives you little things to do during the combat phase. Jumping from stair rails, decoying to save a barbarian and the like.

2. What were the biggest weaknesses?

They tend to die easier. Also I said potential damage above because most cases as a ranged hero you need to be right up on the monsters to do the most damage. This kind of defeats the purpose of being a ranged character.

3. What would you improve about the system for Dungeon Defenders II?

Well I would add new projectiles as below. Also, include new abilities that help mobility like maybe a grappling hook so you can hang from walls and ceilings. Use it to get around the map in a stylish fashion. Again, I think these things make the ranged classes fun to play.

4. What new projectile type would you like to see? (Think DD1's varied projectile types, but be creative! Ex: A projectile that explodes at random intervals as it travels before hitting its target.)

4a: Maybe a homing/heat seeking kind of projectile. This could help to alleviate the need to jump in front of a huge horde just so you can do the most damage.
4b: Maybe a projectile that takes on the properties of the towers it passes through. They pass through a fireball tower the projectiles turn into fireballs, ice tower ice projectiles and so on. This would also help the ranged character to not have the urge to just jump into melee range to do the most damage.

I am really excited about DD2. So glad you guys decided to go back to what it originally was. It is a very unique game and offers hours upon hours of fun.

The strenghts of the system wear that you see ranged attacks flying and that give you a chanche to dodge the attack.

The downs wear reloadtimes on Some moments with powerfull gun.

A skill for all classes the reload intant
for mama.

The new projetile type i think of is a channeling time and when your releas it wil count down the time you channelt and wil release fir that moment a volley of arrows whit the same power if your weapon you .

1.The best thing about ranged combat was that you could take down an ogre without taking any damage in seconds.
2.The biggest weakness was that if you got surrounded by ninjas you were ****** and 15 valuable seconds until spawn.
3.You could add an aiming system like the 1st person zooming on the pc so you could see everything thats in front of you(a proper aiming system with scopes and crosshairs) .
4.For the huntress maybe a weapon which has one bullet and if you shoot it at an enemy it changes the enemy into an ally for 10 seconds and you could upgrade the length of time the power lasts or make the reloading faster.
As for the apprentice he could have a ball of magic that penetrates through the enemies the further it goes the weaker it becomes the style it shoots could be like the Oculus of the genie king but would look like lightning and would be in a variety of colours.
P.S.Can't wait until Dungeon Defenders 2 comes out so me and my friends could spend another lifetime gaining level 83

1. one of the biggest strengths in ranged combat is that it is easy to use
2. one weakness is that it does not require nearby any skills, you can sit on one place and enemies run towards you and you can kill them all. i would like if there was more challenge in combat
3. i would improve the system by making it a little bit harder (for example, projectiles not homing etc.)
4. projectile that ricochets enemies and after certain amount of time, it turns back and acts like a boomerang

The biggest strengths of ranged combat was standing safe behind the defense and upgrad everything very fast.
The bigges weaknesses was that they was to weak for the later bosses and got like 1 hitted.
when u lvl upp a weapon i think it would be nice with weapons that gets bigger and cool. would be cool if some range weapons would nock back, slow or maybe poison enemies.
4. What new projectile type would you like to see? (Think DD1's varied projectile types, but be creative! Ex: A projectile that explodes at random intervals as it travels before hitting its target.)
Awesome new weapons. some kind of matchmaking after story so ppl dont stop play the game when they are done with every thing. Matchmaking like tower wars on dd1 but better done and more strategi in it. and u are able to destroy the other teams towers but when u do that u die easy. maybe hard to do but would be awesome if u ask me.

Variety. Different weapons, different looks, different shot styles

Scaling in later game was off for ranged dps. Bosses in the end game for the most part had small areas where range was an ineffective defense, so the huge health and close range damage bonus on characters like the barb were king.

Put in a manual aim system for controls that gets close to what a keyboard/mouse combo has. Maybe have a button enter a manual aim mode or something like that.

I would love to see a projectile that bounces off the enemy in a random direction giving it the possibility of hitting another mob out of the original shot path. Maybe include that as a stat for that type of weapon, how many times the bullet will bounce off mobs before it stops.

First off... love this game. i feel its the best i've ever played. perfect mix of RPG/adventure and 3D Tower Defense!

The ability to hang back and upgrade/heal defenses while still peppering away at oncoming hordes or gaggles of wyverns!:wyvern:

lets be honest, DD has no weakness. :squire: but if i have to name one, i guess there could be a way to "lock on" to a target and unleash a stronger blast. maybe even take defense of "auto attack" and manually control which enemy you really want it to take down.

boards can take a really long time to clear of loot/mana, this drags the game play out and reduces fun. there should be some way to easily sweep up remaining mana at the end of a wave (maybe by looping around it via the map or something, maybe all characters get a free blood rage during build phase) and a way to select all available loot on the screen and drop it into your box. again by making a big loop/box around everything you want to store (similar to how starcraft allows you to box multiple troops to attack)

4. What new projectile type would you like to see?
I think there needs to be a projectile that will shoot straight out to a set distance and then burst (similar to fireworks) into 3-6 smaller energy balls. this could start out at three energy balls and then be upgradeable to 5-6 of them!

Please pick me, you know my idea rocks!

looking forward to Beta...

• The Huntress/Ranger's wide variety of specialized weapons to deal with different situations. I know I kept a bunch of weapons in my bank that weren't particularly good but had really cool, fun or silly effects.
  • The ability to sacrifice some survivability for raw damage by being skillful, keeping your distance and dodging attacks; being more of a glass cannon.
  • The possiblity to basically become a tower replacement when a defense goes down because of the ability to quickly get around the map, to easily clear crowds of enemies and to take care of flying enemies.

• In my experience as a Monk, Apprentice and maybe less-so Ranger, ranged combat usually boiled down to getting the weapon with the most projectiles and shooting enemies point blank for massive damage. This affected the gameplay negatively on 2 levels: it made the combat somewhat dull and repetitive but also made acquiring upgrades very tedious. With projectiles being such a huge increase to DPS and the best projectile weapons only being obtainable through specific maps or challenges (e.g. Nosferatu, Obsidian weapons, etc.), it completely removed the excitement of potentially getting a upgrade from regular gameplay. Once you got one of those weapons, your only option was to keep farming the same map and hope for better stats on it, because eveh a higher level and higher damage weapon couldn't rival with the multi-projectile weapons.
  • Not enough variety in Monk and Apprentice weapons. I would love to see what the community and developers could come up with for original Apprentice weapon effects!

• A lot more fun and original weapon effects for Monk and Apprentice who got the short end of the stick in DD1.
  • Less focus on multi-projectiles; maybe reducing the damage done when more than 1 projectile hit the same target so that they remain effective at clearing crowds but not the go-to weapons for facing Ogres and bosses. Maybe you could implement the ability to carry 2 weapons on every ranged character so you can swap between an AoE weapon and a single-target weapon, thus making the latter more viable in regular gameplay and doubling your potential of finding cool upgrades (one of the strongest aspects of the game imo).

I would love to see some beam type weapons with different effects. Would work really well for the Apprentice I think. Here are a bunch of random suggestions that can be mixed and matched together into the same weapon:

• Beam that pierces through multiple enemies in a line.
  • Beam that gets wider and increases in damage the longer you hold it (no target requirement) or the longer you aim it at the same target (useful for bosses, ogres, etc.)
  • Frost beam that increasingly slows enemies until they become frozen solid for a short duration.
  • Firey beam that adds a burning (Damage over Time) effect to mobs.
  • Etc.

The main components I like are the piercing and the increasing damage when held (could maybe slow you down when you focus it to counterbalance). You can add a bunch of other effects onto that to create some really interesting combos.

1. It provided more variety and options for taking down an enemy, and often was the better solution for taking on an enemy with far greater power than your own. Additionally, it often offered more fun and unexpected changes than the melee weapons typically do, with weapons that play against the player's expectations, such as The Incubator or the Flamethrower.

2. It was horribly unbalanced. As a Huntress I could sit atop my perch and gun down the enemies as the came with minimal defensive support, a feat not at all possible with a melee character.

3. Add more variety and more balance. Most of the guns and staves felt like either a generic magic ball, arrows, or rarely bullets. The ones that provided variety were by far the most fun. The Incubator is an all time favourite.

4. Two recommendations here to really spice up gameplay; first of all, perhaps add elements in a more varied way. The swords all glowed of power, but elements didn't really seem to give the ranged weapons much at all. Perhaps if you added more, such as wind that pushed the enemies back, or light which blinds enemies, or even buffed the existing ones such as giving poison the ability to do continuous damage to a foe after the projectile hit or fire weakening the foe's attack. The second recommendation is to add more varied projectile types. Give some sort of cannonballs the roll across the ground for a few seconds before exploding, or a laser that shoots through obstructions (such as walls), or a projectile that shoots Kobolds with extra dynamite tied to their back, eyes wide with fear.

1. Ranged Combat in DD was fun when you feel and see the impact on the enemy
2. playing as any character in DD is almost the same when attacking because you just button mash to shoot as many projectiles as you can. I think there is room for improvement here.
3. I think it'd be cool if some way the weapons can connect with the towers to increase damage / change attack types. and 1 more thing, critical hits ! ranged projectiles that hit the head of the monsters should deal more damage.
4. Some ideas : projectiles that sticks or bounces to the ground and explodes after a few secs, projectiles that have arcs like mortars, projectiles that pierces through enemies or deal splash damage.

I would LOVE to win a council seat. Here are my opinions on the questions that you asked.

The ranged combat system in DD1 had a couple of strengths. One of which was its diversity. There was a great range of weapons for the characters in DD1. Everything was there from the simple crossbow to the epic Eternian Cannon. That doesn't include the monk's range of weapons that allowed him to deal ranged damage. The glaive of the unicorn, though weak in comparison, was a fantastic weapon based on its looks. Let me know not forget to mention my favorite character the apprentice. His staffs are epic on so many levels. The undying rod is hands down my favorite weapon. The spread of the rod is perfect for clearing out hordes of missions. Another strength of ranged combat in DD1 was the ability for weaponry to have extra projectiles. These allowed for a ranged fighter to somewhat have the ability to clear out a crowd like a melee character can.

One major weakness in my opinion was the fact that the shots would track the minions. You can fire at something from across the map and it will follow the target. In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to shoot from that far away and be guaranteed a hit. Another weakness has to do with the inequality of the weapons. I know a big part of this was because of the base code of the game. However, the DLC maps and weapons could have been designed to all be on par with each other. Instead of every new map basically trumpeting any previous item you could get. There was such a great diversity as I mentioned before, then it was all shot because of DPS being needed.

Since the game is being rebuilt from the ground up, and hopefully planned for, it would be nice to see the great range of all the weapons being utilized instead of just one or two only being viable.

Sadly, I am a little late to this survey. My suggestion would have been something like fireworks shooting out of the shot as it flew. For instance, if you were shooting something across the map it would be great if your shot could damage enemies under it as it passed over them.

Thanks for all the entries! We got so many entries, it's going to take us some extra time to go through them all! We'll now be announcing the winners tomorrow at 2pm EST.

Our Lead Content Designer Daniel Haddad has chosen the winner and it's ... eagle45302! Congratulations! I have PMed you with your council code.

Thanks to everyone who posted. We really enjoyed reading all the awesome entries!