Sign in to follow this  
Blacksmith

Ranged Combat - First Council Seat Giveaway

Hello Defenders! We're putting a lot of care and attention toward creating a more engaging combat experience in Dungeon Defenders II. Currently we're working on Ranged Combat in Dungeon Defenders II, and we'd like your input. In fact, we're giving away a Council seat for the best post that answers the following questions:

1. What were the biggest strengths of Dungeon Defenders' Ranged Combat system?
2. What were the biggest weaknesses?
3. What would you improve about the system for Dungeon Defenders II?
4. What new projectile type would you like to see? (Think DD1's varied projectile types, but be creative! Ex: A projectile that explodes at random intervals as it travels before hitting its target.)

I'll review the responses and choose the one I feel is the best overall, and the winner will receive a place on the Defense Council! If you already have a seat on the Council, we still want to hear from you, but in the interest of fairness your post will not be considered for the giveaway.

I will be checking in on this thread throughout the day, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Best of luck Defenders, and I look forward to reading your responses!

Update #1: Thanks for all the entries! We got so many entries, it's going to take us some extra time to go through them all! We'll now be announcing the winners tomorrow at 2pm EST.

Update #2: Congrats to our winner eagle45302! Check your inbox to get your Defense Council seat!

I already have a seat, but here's my feedback:
1. I think the ranged combat system was strong overall, but can't think of anything that really stood out to me.
2. The biggest weaknesses of the ranged combat system for me was that you could walk right up to an enemy, take almost no damage, and then kill that enemy 5x faster than actually being at a range.
3. Make projectiles do more damage from a distance (I think there was a gun like this in DD)
4. A projectile that does lots of damage, but shoots in a random direction.

Hope this feedback was helpful!

I also already have a council seat.

1.) Well, the best thing is probably killing enemies from afar. Due to the various weapons you also had variation in how you attacked (slow but strong, AoE, fast salves with reloading etc). I think this stood out more compared to various melee weapons.

2.) What GhostofLight said, I think you should be punished for standing right in front of the mob if you are ranged (well, ranger at least, mage is a whole different story, because, magic and stuff). Maybe some sort of deadzone? If you hit an enemy who is less than Y yards away you deal less damage. Maybe just 50%. So you can still kill stuff, but it won't be faster.

3.) Again, what GhostofLight said. More damage from a distance compared to standing in front of the enemy while using ranged attacks. Maybe "headshots" in the form of random crits who can only appear while X yards away?

4.) A sort of Gleve mechanic like in Warcraft 3. A projectile that jumps to additional targets, up to a certain maximum. Basically like the DD1 Lightning tower's chainlightning attack, but as a weapon.

That you could kill the enemy from a long distance, without getting close to it. Also, you could have lower resistance armor and put more points into hero stats.

Doesn't really work when an enemy is behind a wall, since most ranged attacks can't go through walls. If the projectiles are too wide, when shot from a weapon, then they wouldn't hit an enemy next to you.

Can't really think of anything, but maybe have one special weapon for the other classes that could shoot through walls. Like how the "soul focuser" can shoot through walls for the huntress. Projectiles instead of being thin, could be wider when shot out of the weapon. This would allow weapons to hit more enemies at once.

4. What new projectile type would you like to see? (Think DD1's varied projectile types, but be creative! Ex: A projectile that explodes at random intervals as it travels before hitting its target.)

Projectile type - Sticky Minefield:

Once a monster gets hit by a projectile, the monster will start to blink for about 5 seconds. (The sticky mine could be seen on the monster.) Then the monster will explode causing mini clusters to fall around him causing damage to other monsters.

* Main explosion would cause more damage then the mini clusters.

Since I have my seat, I'll just leave this hidden so as not to dissuade any potential posters.

[spoiler]1. Diverse graphics for the projectiles, and very easy for new players to understand/use. All stats except for piercing were clearly labeled & defined.
2. Very little variety in the actual mechanics; spread, speed, and piercing. Distance had zero effect on damage, and grenade/flamethrower types were not viable.
3. In short, greater variety and description of the effects; make grenades worthwhile, add a distance multiplier (less damage at close range), etc. Which leads to query 4
4. Elemental effects that can stack with Tower/Ability combos, headshot, return of the Chicken Launcher, proximity & remote detonation projectiles, physics/push force gun, projectiles which can effect Heroes, multiple firing modes and/or projectile types on a single gun.[/spoiler]

havent read the other posts, so if i copy an idea, sorry!

1) you could use your upgrades on armor for damage, completely neglecting your defense. the ranged weapons could get strong enough to keep enemies away from you, even the DEWs (not always... my poor apprentice felt like a goomba with all the DEWs jumping on his head...). and if enemies got close, you only had to hit them a few times because the spread bullets would multiply your damage. really a great thing, though it was a bit overpowered. why go melee when ranged has 5x the DPS at melee range? i really think spread should nerfed. make only one bullet hit an enemy, the rest pass through, or just make each bullet weaker.

2) i always used an xbox360 controller to play DD1, so the biggest weakness for me was the autolock. i couldnt aim up unless there was a wyvern or DEW, and i couldnt aim down unless there was something close enough. it also had a bad habit of locking on to enemies with a wall between me and them. this made weapons that go through walls wonderful, but also limited my weapon choice and how good i could be. id really like an option to go into FPS mode as ranged characters so i can aim wherever i want, with auto lock off. force autolock to be on when the camera isnt first person though, so i can still move, jump, and shoot all at once.

3) covered that in the last two. nerf the spread a bit to make melee characters more usable, and do something for controller users with autolock.

4) blacksmith, i actually really like that idea. thatd be hilarious. im thinking an old-school Mario RPG type weapon here. something that shoots out clones of your allies. Bowser had a weapon where he threw Mario at the enemy (which i thought was hilarious). give the Huntress a weapon that shoots Monks at the hordes of goblins and orcs. maybe get the weapon as a reward for clearing a hard stage with only those two characters participating. no squires or apprentices to build or attack, only monks and huntresses.

-Diversity in the weapons/projectiles shape, colors & effects. Imo, ranged combat was also the easiest way to engage enemies while staying in the range of your tower to upgrade & repair.

- Lack of different projectile patterns/type... Having bullets that bounce off walls, proj. that get bigger over time(or smaller), proj. that split when it hits a enemy, boomerang proj. , wave like proj. etc.

- No weapons with scope. I'm sure a lot of us would have enjoyed sniping djinns & copters. :)

- I would personally add 2 or more "evolution" to each weapons. Making the player choose between X bonuses(when he finish upgrading it). They could add a small visual difference & have pros/cons about them.

4. What new projectile type would you like to see?

- Projectiles that looks like a "slinky" would be hilarious. But I give my vote for a spiral type of projectile.

Thank you for reading.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:
1) What were the biggest strengths of Dungeon Defenders' Ranged Combat system?
Ranged combat gives players a chance to defend both themselves and their towers without needing to put themselves immediately in harm's way. It doesn't detract from their ability to keep the towers and crystal safe, while also ensuring a timely demise for the enemies.

2) What were the biggest weaknesses?
There were too many caveats for their use. Having large quantities of projectiles occasionally led to ranged weapons outperforming melee weapons in close combat. Apprentice staves, while being interesting as far as mechanics go for charging up shots, became a needlessly tedious weapon type to use effectively. Either you attacked few enemies with perfectly timed, constant clicks of the mouse to fire barely-not-fully-charged shots into them or you fully charged for that much slower paced splash damage.

3) What would you improve about the system for Dungeon Defenders II?
I would give ranged weapons, if not weapons in general, more specific emphasis. Rather than dealing damage only on physical/elemental resistances, I would give weapons specific priorities, so the players using them would fill a role to replace a tower.
For example, the Huntress could have crossbows for flying enemies, bows for ground-based enemies and basllistae for ogres (slow fire rate, but very strong per shot). By this metric, the crossbow would deal bonus damage to wyverns and other flying foes, the bows would deal extra damage to most ground-based enemies and the ballistae, while *technically* dealing large amounts of damage to anything, would have a large bonus against ogres and a low enough rate of fire to necessitate specialization.
Beyond that, I would create subsets within those categories for even further specialization, such as having flamethrowers be the weapon of choice against kobolds, since you'd essentially be lighting the bombs on their backs (if not making that it's own thing instead, where you blow up the bomb for collateral damage against nearby enemies).

4) What new projectile type would you like to see? (Think DD1's varied projectile types, but be creative! Ex: A projectile that explodes at random intervals as it travels before hitting its target.)
For ranged weapons, I would like to see an emphasis on projectiles splitting at range (to prevent fighting at point-blank range) and varieties of spreading shapes (where DD1 was mostly a horizontal spread). I'd love specialty weapons with seemingly low-damage shots, but deal more damage with each additional enemy hit by piercing through them. I think it would be fun, even if only under specific, eccentric circumstances, to have some projectiles which home in on your cursor for very concentrated shooting; it would require a lot of attention and dedication, which Dungeon Defenders has always been great about trying *not* to provide!

Hello Defenders! We're putting a lot of care and attention toward creating a more engaging combat experience in Dungeon Defenders II. Currently we're working on Ranged Combat in Dungeon Defenders II, and we'd like your input. In fact, we're giving away a Council seat for the best post that answers the following questions:

I'll review the responses and choose the one I feel is the best overall, and the winner will receive a place on the Defense Council! If you already have a seat on the Council, we still want to hear from you, but in the interest of fairness your post will not be considered for the giveaway.

I will be checking in on this thread throughout the day, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Best of luck Defenders, and I look forward to reading your responses!

1. The Apprentice have the charge stat.(which increased/decreased damage done over time), monk boost could farther increased his damage while healing him at same time, huntress used quick-shooting, low-damage weapons which could be combine with Invisibility Ability to do a lot of damage while taking none(except bosses and Dark Elf Warriors).
2. Although they could do almost as much or better than Melee heroes, they were just too weak to use against the later bosses( As the difficulty increased, having more health/resistance was more demanding which scale greater on melee heroes, which caused better melee weapons to be made). At some point, scaling on DPS range weapons was neglected and so players moved on too the necessary tower, and The Barbarian to kill it fast(maybe a booster monk might have joined in).
3. The biggest issue was not the range projectile damage but how most of them missed the target( Oculus of the Genie King was well thought out. However, the weapon reward at Morrago was immediately replaced by later staffs that were implemented).
Which leads to 4. I would like to see unique range weapons where some don't have extra projectiles at all, they just to more damage(e.i big fireball which has greater area of effect than what a dragon in DD have), or have a bunch of projectiles start near hero and have some sort of ice-cream cone effect(As the go further away, they get closer to the center, than they meet and spread again until they hit something or got to their range limit).
[spoiler]
LOL. I know :o[/spoiler]

I already have a seat, but figured you'd appreciate the feedback:

The different weapons and their unique traits. It made it so no 1 weapon was the best, but rather a bunch of weapons were viable and filled different roles. BF Drill, blaster rifle, eagle's standard, and so on.

The end game weapons all had to be reward versions (otherwise they were useless), and only a handful of the reward weapons were viable; it made weapon drops almost completely useless!

Have weapon rewards follow the same upper limits as regular drops, just give them a better floor (higher minimum values)! Also, projectile speed was something of a useless stat in DD, since it always got upgraded to where it needed to be first. Just sort of became superfluous.

Homing missiles, that track to a target. Weapons that arc, similar to how the lightning towers work. Weapons meant for long range (sniping!), Weapons that slow (like a goo gun)

I would say that the ability to defend from behind your defenses is one key advantage to ranged combat.

Not being able to aim high enough into the sky to attack air enemies.
Being ultimately weaker end-game compared to melee classes.

Higher level of vertical control.
A way to either keep up in DPS, or still provide a meaningful attribution to combat compared to melee enemies aside from air enemies.

• Chain projectiles
  • Boomerang projectiles
  • Raining projectiles
  • Dual/Tri elemental projectiles

The variety of weapons with different effects (i.e. number of projectiles or penetrating enemies). I enjoyed the ability to choose what weapon I wanted for what situation (although I didn't like that certain weapon looks and projectiles were outclassed by others so you were forced to use a select few)

The lack of the ability to use any ranged hero. In most situations, it came down to either the Monk or Jester for ranged DPS and if you used anything else, you were doing far less than you could be.

Equality in a way. Having the DPS of different heroes be on par with one another and able to progress in a similar rate. I'm not saying that every hero needs to be viable for all DPS situations, but make them useful and not have to lock into one role. Also, allow stats to be swapped among weapons. This would be complicated, but being able to sacrifice a weapon with a spread shot to transfer the stats (minus the spread) to a weapon with penetration would be wonderful. Then it would allow for more versatility in playstyle and more options in gameplay.

A projectile that will "shatter" when hitting the target and shoot shrapnel that can then hit other targets.
One that bounces from the enemy hit to others, doing decreasing damage with each bounce.
One that adds debuffs like slow, reducing armor, enrage (attack other enemies), and confusion (enemies walk backwards)
A sort of cannon that shoots with a bit of an arc and has explosive or AoE effects (like laying down a pool of glue that slows enemies who pass through).
That's all I can think of at the moment.

1. I found the ranged combat in DD1 to actually function quite well. Tracking ahead of units just the right amount, but still firing a "dumb" non-homing shot and having a long range worked really well. It contributed to the unconstrained openness of the game. IE: Nothing about the potential of ranged combat was diminished as a result of balance issues.

In terms of the actual charging vs. rapid fire, I did like when you held down the primary and then secondary attack how the shot would fire in succession. Between the auto-lead and that, it made it very easy to run & gun during the sometimes frenzied pace.

2. For the sake of Dungeon Defenders 1, I think ranged combat went off fairly well. The mages were definitely potent when multiple shots were added and I'm not sure if people ended up having strong feelings about that for balance purposes. Dungeon Defenders 1 featured direct projectiles for both mage and huntress attacks. See my next point...

3. I think a new "lobbed" projectile type would be a neat idea. Types of this variant might involve more physics like bouncing or ricocheting. Another change might also include not having arrows travel in a straight line, but to have their height taper off the longer they go.

4. Debuffs for starters. Projectiles that deploy on impact. Projectiles that coordinate or function with deployed defences. Instant ranged attacks that have unusually shaped areas of effect. Projectiles that leave a trail. There could also be melee style attacks that have extended range.

Ranged helped attack from behind your defenses, also helpful to clear an area so you can get in there to repair/upgrade.

The effects were basically the same on each weapon.

More options of projectile, colors and shot patterns are cool but what about projectiles that bounce off walls, or on some different weapons, replace the mana bomb with a projectile that ensnared enemies (with a long cooldown, obviously) makes each weapon that much different.

See above lol or possibly replace mana bomb on others with a projectile that could create a black hole like effect, it would draw all enemies in its proximity and just hold them there for like 5 seconds or so while you blast them with your primary attack. Things like that, but basically exchange mana bomb with functions that make each weapon more unique.

You shot at things and they died, and there was absolutely no kick-back. This meant that as you shot, you weren't fighting with your character to aim. You could safely dispatch enemies from far away. Heck, before the huge nerf to the Huntress's special shot, I was able to, on my own, use a combat build Huntress to hold entire gates by myself just using the penetrating shot.

There were no shotguns. It felt absolutely wrong that I could just run up to the ogres and turn his butt cheeks into meatchunk pizza, or have a special shotgun that would shoot through enemies, tearing into entire cones of foes.

I would add shotguns, that and incorporate a system that would reward characters that built fully for combative abilities, like a cooldown reduction system that would eventually lower it to 0, allowing certain builds to spam penetrating shot.

Pulsing Orbs (travels through enemies, releasing pulses in a circle around the orb, doing damage to all), or some form of C4/heavy explosive launcher that can be planted under a foe without triggering, so you can set up entire ambushes without using just skills/traps. An idea for a weapon like this I had is called "The Discus". a large gauntlet with a circular housing on top of it, the wide side flat to the front of the forearm like a shield. A box-shaped launcher leads out of it, and fires these large "pucks". After a few moments from being launched at the ground, it pops up like a bouncing betty, several holes opening in itstabs enemies with several hooks attached to ropes (or spearheads), yanks them towards the Discus. The outer layer then breaks apart. The inner layer then spins the other way, showering them in steel flechettes.

It can also do this in mid air, being detonated by a press of the right mouse button, being designed less for outright damage, more for large crowd control. The flechettes could even have the effect of slowing enemies down for a few moments, or bleeding them with a DOT. The hooks are just there to maximize the effect of the flechettes.

1. Nothing about the DD1 ranged combat system itself seems to stand out to me as extremely interesting or unique, however I'm sure it would be VERY easy for new players to DD or video games in general to pick up and figure out how to use quickly; so that seems to be a pretty big strength...

2. Again, there wasn't anything that stood out to me as a terrible part of the combat system. I do think that things should have been a little more difficult to hit from long range. All you had to do was put the cursor over an enemy and if it was red, it's pretty much a guaranteed hit. The game would compensate for the enemies movement for you, so there was very little skill involved. (I played on PC with a keyboard and mouse so I found this to take out a little bit of potential enjoyment, however I'm sure this system was necessary for people using controllers)

3. Well, I'm no game developer, but, although the simplicity is good for new players, the actual aiming part of shooting could do with some improving, as I mentioned above. I don't have too many thoughts right now unfortunately though... But, you guys are great devs, I'm sure you'll think of something :)

4. Hm.. A new projectile type... I'm thinking maybe one that goes a certain distance, then bursts into - I don't know, 8 or so?- projectiles that come out radially (Is that a word? - in a circle) on the plane the original projectile was traveling on. The original projectile could pierce (doing low amounts of damage) until it reaches the required distance, and the mini projectiles that come out of it could pierce 1-3 enemies, allowing one to shoot the bullet or what ever into the middle of a cluster of enemies, where it would then shoot o bunch of little projectiles throughout the crowd.

I can't wait for DD2 and it's great that you're involving the community so much!!! Keep up the great work Trendy!!! ;D

1. What were the biggest strengths of Dungeon Defenders' Ranged Combat system? The way you fight helps when you use abilities at any range.

2. What were the biggest weaknesses? Its sometimes confuse with some kinds of abilities.

3. What would you improve about the system for Dungeon Defenders II? Maybe I should enable and try to improve the TD related and also the coop mode.

4. What new projectile type would you like to see? I think that a projectile with a global cast that hits a selected area after a short casting time.

1. Homing projectiles were a useful feature that helped hit small enemies or far enemies, especially with slower projectile speed weapons.

Shooting things was simple. No recoil, no sway, no projectile deviation, etc.

The various ranged weapon attacks(splash damage, piercing, different spread for staves, etc) added nice variety to the weapons.

2. First person mode was awkward to use because of the small FOV and some weapons being huge and occupying most of your screen. Also, the perspective made it seen like your eyes were on your chest.

The variety in weapon effects is wasted due to the superiority of certain weapons. No point in splash dmg when blaster rifles mow down everything with multimillion piercing damage.

Related to the above point. None of the additional weapon effects warrant sacrificing damage output.

There's no reason to use any other camera angle except third person which provides a large FOV and good aiming.

3. More powerful, upgradable weapon effects, eg increasable pierce target, splash range, enemy slow, enemy damage debuff.

Incentives to use other modes for ranged combat. E.g, better move speed while zoomed out, better damage/reload when in first person.

Spread/recoil, but only for certain more powerful weapon types.

4. Land Mine-like projectiles. Pretty self-explanatory.

Reverse spread. Projectiles fire from beside you and converge at your target point.

Orbital laser-style. Click and a laser follows your reticule on the ground. Maybe lightning instead of a laser since this is more fantasyish.

Artillery. Huge range, splash and damage, but has minimum range and arcs. Abit like souped up grenade launchers but with explosion on impact.

The main strength of ranged combat is the ability to attack enemies afar without being in harm's away. Being able to attack at a range also means that you're able to watch over a large area by yourself. For example, talking in terms of DD1, if an orc got past the heroes' defenses somehow, the huntress/squire/ranged-monk could most likely take care of it from where they stood (that is, if they had a clear shot at it of course). Unless the weapon stats were poor in projectile speed, a bullet/arrow/magic missile/etc is going to get to it's target faster than a hero can.

Heroes focusing on ranged combat usually aren't in the front lines. Because of this, they can't distract, or "kite", enemies and keep their attention so that their defenses may assist and receive minimal damage. For instance let's say an ogre spawns and you know your defenses alone won't be able to stop it. A squire can tank and distract the ogre for awhile so that his defenses may assist him without receiving damage. Apprentices on the other hand are generally squishy, so he won't be able to do the same, most likely, without getting himself killed. Also, ranged users do most of their DPS with weapons that are multi-shot. If they wish to do as much damage as possible, they must put themselves in harm's way, and as said before, ranged users are generally "squishy".

I can't think of any improvements in ranged combat. I had no qualms about it in DD1 either way.

New projectile type? I could swarm you with ideas if you'd wanted... For apprentice instead of the general "magic missile" projectile all the time, why not have the projectile match the staff's element? And, perhaps, the stronger the elemental damage the staff has, the different the projectile. For instance, let's imagine a staff with bonus lightning elemental damage. Make the staff give off a literal lightning bolt if the elemental damage is high enough -- perhaps 1k+. Around 10k, that lightning bolt could change into chain lightning. Fireballs for fire-elemental staffs, and perhaps have poison staffs spray a poison cloud. I could go on into more detail, but I'll avoid turning this into a giant wall of text.

High damage output from a safe distance

Lack of variety. Repetition.

Maybe to add some customization and variety we could have projectiles/ammo be it's
own equipment and it could change how a ranged primary weapon functions somewhat.

A projectile that rewards you for planning your shots.
For example, an explosive shot that explodes after traveling so many meters or after a set amount of time.
In order for the player to get the most out of this projectile he/she would have
to time shots in order for the enemy to be in the explosion radius and deal the most damage.
If the shot hit the enemy before exploding it would still do damage but maybe not as much damage
or at least it wouldn't explode, dealing AOE damage.

Another variation of this idea would be allowing the player to hit another button to trigger the
explosion or maybe even a way to cycle through a few set lengths of time for long before it explodes
(much like the Worms series of games where you can set a grenades time til it explodes). Something like .24s/.5s/1s.

Ranged combat is fantastic, being able to dodge attacks completely or defend your defences from across the map (Well almost)

I think there was a cut off for how far ranged attacks could fly, stopping sniping from really being much of an option.
The whole Huntress needing to reload was good at first but I feel (From MY experience, people might disagree) guns without +reload became almost pointless, reload speed should have been tied in to cast rate so she wasn't only relying on finding a weapon with a Reload Speed stat.

A stat or one of the stats linked to reloading for Guns and charge rate/fire rate for Staves.
Being able to have more stuff relying on the actual person and not their equipment gives a much broader sense of unique-ness.
Instead of ammo some guns can use a Heat system instead, recharging over time instead. (Not much change than ammo but it could be made to be really unique and useful at certain times)
An extra ammo system that ups Ammo capacity or charge time (Separate to the gun/staff) and also gives it an extra damage (Element or physical) that stacks with the gun. (See Path of Exile for it actually working and NOT being OP.)

A laser rifle that homes in on enemies (The one you're aiming at OR nearest).
A shotgun that actually has a spread like a shotgun, semi-random in a certain area. (With an accuracy stat on those weapons to account for that radious.)
A rocket launcher that either has a slow traveling high powered shell with AoE.
A T.O.W. missle launcher so you can semi guide your missles towards the enemies/around corners
A grenade launcher that has the grenades bounce along the ground
A grenade launcher that shoots sticky grenades that can stick to walls/enemies that can use a timer and/or remote detonation.
A projectile that, when it explodes, leaves behind a field of fire(The element of the gun really) that damages enemies in the area over time.

Might add more to this over time, now to start reading through other people's posts and see how many doubles I just made (Sorry if I did say your idea as well)

1. With auto-aim, you could easily face a direction and help defenses take out monsters, and use a genie and/or other pets to gain mana
2. It would take a long walk to get monsters to follow you in a different direction if you were standing on a crystal
3. Some kind of stun ability for ranged combat
4. Weapons that have an alternate fire with a projectile that circles you X amount of times, where depending on how long you hold it in depends on how far out it goes, and how often it circles (the longer you hold, the further out, but the less amount it circles you). Other alternate fires could affect already existing projectiles such as explosive ones, so if you hold alt fire, it might fire X amount of projectiles in a fanned way (like the multi-projectile weapons) where X increases as you hold it in, but splash area & damage reduces).

I'm sure you see where I'm going with 4, and I'm sure the community can come up with lots of other fantastic ideas! :)

Ranged combat should feel like I am connecting a solid hit just like melee. I want to hear sounds that are more fluid with the projectile. You should make the sound effects become awesome!

I already have a seat, but here's my feedback.

Piercing was way too effective, a good weapon just melted entire waves of enemies instantly. This also felt very good to do. Since it didn't require taking a lot of hits, it was great for tower based characters and hybrids since they can support defenses from afar and even through floors/walls.

Certain things were just overwhelmingly better than others. Multiple projectiles for example.

Add weak point to enemies and calculate the extra damage as part of the balance for the weapon. Meaning the dps of ranged would only be better than a melee weapon if these weak spots were being hit frequently. You could even tie it in with a debuffing system where hitting a weak point would expose the enemy, making it take more damage from all other forms of damage.

Piercing damage should have diminishing damage as it pieces more targets.

I feel monsters should have counters to mass ranged damage (As well as melee) to make it harder to just hold down fire to clear an entire lane.

Boomering shots. Bullets/projectiles fly forward and slowly accelerate back to the spot they were fired from. This causes them to hover in place for a second or two, possibly doing multiple ticks to the same enemy before flying back behind the player to cover his back even.