Sign in to follow this  
Bankaikiller

I'm very disappointed in you trendy for canceling the MOBA game mode

Was I the only person looking forward to that?

Like really.... I wanted that extra game mode.

What made you change your mind.....

I demand a reasonable, and logical explaination that doesn't involve the people who complained about the moba thinking it was THE SEQUEL to the game.

Well afaik there is still a Moba-Game Type on DD2, Trendy just said that they will no longer focus on it.
That is incorrect; moba is gone for good. The game is now 100% focused on co-op, as it should be.

i thought the MOBA was a good idea too, but i can see why they scrapped it. the learning curve was huge, and with all the jerks that are attracted to MOBAs, nobody wanted to stick around to learn. i just hope they make some form of PvP thats not the same as the absolutely horrible PvP in DD1.

maybe just tower wars for PvP (this is probably the best idea they could have). maybe an Assault type mode with players on each side. just not the PvP that was in DD1. that was absolutely terrible. Jester was faster than everyone, and had more health than everyone. it was literally "who has the best Jester?"

I'm just posting to underline that I don't care.
Over last year no one, never explained to me what does "MOBA" abbreviation stand for and what doe sit mean. It didn't seem to be serious proposal, anyway :P

MOBA= Games like League of Legends, DOTA 2, Smite, etc. typically team games with an RTS perspective.

In short, nothing to do with tower defense action RPG.

Like really.... I wanted that extra game mode.

I demand a reasonable, and logical explaination that doesn't involve the people who complained about the moba thinking it was THE SEQUEL to the game.

Yup!

Too bad!

Ah, just thousands of people complaining

I knew it wasn't just a sequel to the game just so you know. Maybe because only 1% of the people liked it.

I'm just posting to underline that I don't care.
Over last year no one, never explained to me what does "MOBA" abbreviation stand for and what doe sit mean. It didn't seem to be serious proposal, anyway :P

M. Massive
O. Online
B. Battle
A. Arena

If I'm not mistaking. I personally love moba's but think it could still evolve or improve. Like more maps, new mechanics & more.

Yeah I was kinda looking forward to it too. I love DD and a pvp version of it on top of the co-op would have been great. I'm sure it's a good thing they really get to focus on the true sequel to the game here but I can't help but think the main reason it's gone is all the... people... who didn't really understand that there would be a MOBA and a co-op version no matter how many times they were told.

Either way, new game looks great and the new ideas really add new dimensions to the game and that's all I could have asked for.

Maybe as an extra game mode it would be ok, but only after they have released the game. I honestly want them to focus on the core aspect and mechanics. Not some silly rip off of league like a lot of other indie developers seem to be trying to pull nowadays.

tl;dr focus on things that don't appeal to the core game after you're done making what people actually want.

When was this announced? I can't find anything on the website or in the updates section on this forum. I think I speak for most people here and I didn't give a crap about the DD MOBA mode. If you want to play a MOBA Multiplayer (not "Massive" since there is usually only 10-12 players in a game) Online Battle Arena, just play dota 2 or league!!

When was this announced? I can't find anything on the website or in the updates section on this forum. I think I speak for most people here and I didn't give a crap about the DD MOBA mode. If you want to play a MOBA Multiplayer (not "Massive" since there is usually only 10-12 players in a game) Online Battle Arena, just play dota 2 or league!!
http://dungeondefenders2.com/forum/showthread.php?104826-Dungeon-Defenders-II

I don't think you were. I'm pretty sure there are other fans out there that liked the idea of a DD2 MOBA. Can't say how many though.

To be honest, during the production of the MOBA, we felt like there was something missing. One day, we all got together as a studio in that hot and crowded programming room and asked ourselves the tough questions. Going over all the hard work you have been doing for months and determining whether to keep it or not isn't easy. We each looked at each other and realized it wasn't the game we wanted to make. Fans and Trendy employees loved Dungeon Defenders for what it was, a fun action tower defense RPG and we came to the conclusion that we wanted to do that.

my gut reaction to this is "if you want to play a MOBA, go play a MOBA." but, i realize that setting and art style and quirky little things about games that are incredibly similar that make them hook one person or another is what gets people attached to anything that they put considerable portions of their day into.

that said, as a fan and supporter of what dungeon defenders was as a game, when i heard that the MOBA was being released before the sequel proper and that advancement in the sequel proper would be tied to advancement in the MOBA, i felt devalued as a fan and like yet another game franchise/genre that i enjoy playing was being phased out in favor of the next cash grab gaming fad. the number of console releases year by year that ARENT sports or FPS games grow ever more marginalized, and as a person who only enjoys one of those genres -- seldomly at that, because unlike most "gamers" now, i played a healthy amount of PC games prior to the year 2000 -- that effectively means my hobby is being phased out.

every week now its some new free-to-play, microtransaction based MOBA that is being released, all because of how popular LoL and DOTA/2 are, and it is killing the desire for lots of people to want to 1) support developers who are chasing the money tree; and 2) invest money in games that are released in a broken/unfinished state because "oh, its free and we can always just patch it after launch."

now don't get me wrong, im not saying "dont you dare make a MOBA, Trendy..." because i mean, hey, lateral growth and multiple revenue streams is very important and beneficial to a company. but i am saying, if you are going to make a MOBA based on DD/2 make it a stand-alone entity and completely separate from what dungeon defenders 2 proper will be. treat it like final fantasy tactics was handled in a pedigree of (mostly) fantastic RPGs: in the same vein, but decidedly removed from its radically different namesake.

I, for one, am ecstatic about the cancelled MOBA. This means trendy can concentrate on what they already did well: the Tower Defense Hack 'n' Slash hybrid.
I'll actually consider spending money on DD2 now; prior to this I had written it off completely thanks to the MOBA.