Speed runners- fast building?

Hey, so I've watched a few videos of runners who farm stuff and build extremely fast. I was wondering, how do you guys get so quick at building? I've been trying to use the shortcut keys, 6,7,8, etc, but it makes me lose my WASD hand placement. Any tips on how to build faster?

6, 7, 8, etc is the way to go. I actually keep my left hand on the WASD and use my right to go from mouse to short keys. I have to look down to pick the short cut key, but going back to mouse is fast and easy.

I have remapped the keys on some of my builders to use keys 2 and 3. This helps for your most commonly used defenses on each builder.

Especially summoner. I've set short keys for archer, spider, and mage. Ain't nobody got time to go through that summoning wheel just to drop an archer.

Especially summoner. I've set short keys for archer, spider, and mage. Ain't nobody got time to go through that summoning wheel just to drop an archer.

how exactly do you do that? I've tried before but with no success

how exactly do you do that? I've tried before but with no success

Bring up the selection wheel with middle click, then highlight the command you want to remap and press the key to which you want to map it.

• 2 months later...
1st Get a good postition for your hands
2st Learn to move your hands / fingers quick
3st Learn where to run and where to build
4st Get a 100 speed - Dont repeat this one.
5st Learn the shortcuts perfect
6st Try to parkour and learn to control asdw while jumping / building
7st Repeat like 10 - 50 times Depends on how easy it is for you to learn.

• 3 weeks later...
i use regular keyboard/mouse setup for now and rely heavily on my pets and speed stats to build on time but also get it done due to the fact i don't typically invite people right away as i know they will talk too much or hog mana i need to build correctly/on-time. i tend to only farm 2 maps at the moment and as long as there's enough dps for bosses (Winter wonderland/akatiti nmhc; if not i may kick) things tend to work out even if i do most the upgrading. i'd say keep keep a trusty friend/jester pro and hide match for about 3-4 waves before opening to public. when others join quickly look at their dps stats/resistances and if it's not to ur liking ask them if they have another. kick if u aren't sure u can carry. i usually use kobolds or diamond pets but my ev's ult + tiger gave more run speed stats so ended up beating kobold. most maps tend to only need aura's and buffs first wave and if ur quick enough gas traps. u can always add inferno (or prox if u have enough trap health; i recommend over 2.5 trap health to carry 4 players with radius about 2k) in a later wave as gas is more important. second wave usually summons are the best bet and u can stay in overlord and build if u gathered enough mana after first wave. if ur not sure about ur summoner stats for nm being strong enough farm solo or only 2 player to make sure everything is upped and less boss health/enemies.

lol obviously casting rate is important, i guess i never had to worry about that with the gear i have now but i know that summoning in wave is horribly slow but still often necessary.

I often play solo and timers aren't your friend then on some maps. I don't really use hotkeys all that often except for repairing (4) and upgrading (5) (mainly to avoid selling something by accident). The 2 things that are really important imo are:
1) Having female builders only.
2) Knowing the optimal routes to grab the chests at the start and your build order.