For our Nintendo Switch launch, we’ve just received word today on a few issues for our Backers that we want to be transparent about and offer some solutions.
North American Backers:
For those who filled out their information last week, we are currently working with Nintendo of America to get your keys to you by this weekend. This is unfortunate, but we’re doing everything we can to get the keys as quickly as possible.
Due to unfortunate circumstances, Nintendo of Europe (NOE) gave us notice today (August 3rd) that we need to submit tax documentation in order for our studio specifically to purchase keys as a company to distribute to our backers in Europe. This form is called a 6166 Form and can take 4-6 weeks to process through the IRS, alongside the additional forwarding and work with NOE. As a result, we are unable to provide the keys from Kickstarter and BackerKit backers until that time has passed.
People waiting to purchase on Switch:
The Nintendo Switch version of Dungeon Defenders Awakened will be available for purchase and should not be hindered in any way. The Lycan’s Keep, Episode 1, update will be available to all of you as soon as it passes through certification. Again, only our ability to distribute keys to backers directly is hindered.
Solutions for NOE Backers:
We’re wanting to make sure we can do right by our backers, some of our earliest supporters, by providing multiple solutions:
- Option 1: Wait it out (may take 5-8 weeks).
Option 2: Be provided a North American (NOA) version of DDA that requires you to region change in your Switch’s settings in order to play (may take up to 1 week). Please note that it will take a few days for us to procure more North American keys. For information about switching your region, please visit this website: https://bit.ly/NintendoRegionChange
- Note: Any money in your Nintendo wallet will not be available in the new region if you swap regions. You will also not be able to play games outside of the new region until you swap back to the previous region.
- Option 3: Change your key to a Steam/PC key (can be done in 1 business day).
Option 4: Write in to firstname.lastname@example.org and request a refund for the value of the game you purchased (i.e. if you purchased a $16 tier, we’ll be able to refund the $16). We’ll get it back to you, no questions asked.
For Kickstarter backers that backed a tier over $30 specifically, we can offer a $30 partial refund to ensure you still get all your rewards and then use that refunded money to be able to purchase the game through the Nintendo eShop.
- We’re unable to provide partial refunds to BackerKit backers as it is a technical limitation through their service.
- For Kickstarter backers that backed a tier over $30 specifically, we can offer a $30 partial refund to ensure you still get all your rewards and then use that refunded money to be able to purchase the game through the Nintendo eShop.
If you are an NOE Backer and wish to select one of the first three options above, please fill out the following survey. https://forms.gle/RCGkU6f5ktfHUzJs6 If you are in the NOE region and do not respond to the survey, we will assume you are okay with Option 1 waiting it out.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, as well as the late notice, as we’ve been looking for any other solution we can with Nintendo’s aid before getting this message out. We’re getting the word out as fast as possible, reaching out to every backer for Kickstarter, BackerKit, and Xsolla that this would affect, and are continuing to do the best with what we have. The Nintendo Switch version will launch and be purchasable as scheduled, just the ability for our studio to receive keys and distribute them ourselves at the moment is hindered, but we’re moving as quickly as we can to correct this issue.