As many of you are aware, there was an outage of the Dungeon Defenders Community Site from 11/14 to 11/25. While we have been able to recover from the outage, unfortunately there has been data loss suffered. This was data corruption, not a data breach. No information was compromised to any outside parties. We’ve been working closely with our website partners, Duxter, to determine what happened.
- There was a website outage from 11/14 to 11/25.
- We were able to restore a forum backup from 10/14.
- We were able to reassociate Defense Council forum access with information from our payment processors and Steam.
What This Means For You:
- If you created a Community account before 10/14, simply login! You will have to relink your Steam account and remake any changes to your account since then. If you created an account before 10/14 and are having trouble logging in, please reset your password.
- If you created a Community account after 10/14 you will have to recreate it.
- Anyone who recreates an account or logs in to the site for the next two weeks will automatically receive +500 forum posts to their account's forum post count. In the future, we will also be rewarding all pre-existing members and users who register over this time a code for an exclusive in-game title (help us create that here!)
How to Regain Access to the Defense Council:
- Please use the email address you purchased to recreate your Community account. This will automatically reassociate access for most of you.
- Relink your Steam Account to your profile. If your profile is set to public and DD2 is in your recently played games you will receive access.
- If all else fails email support[at]trendyent.com with your account name, Steam ID, and purchase confirmation and we’ll get you relinked up right away!
We’re terribly sorry for this inconvenience. Community is our life at Trendy and we find this loss of data unacceptable. We have been working closely with Duxter to discover why this happened and to ensure it never happens again. For those of you interested, I’ve included very detailed information of what happened below and the steps we have taken to ensure it never happens again:
Root Cause Analysis:
- There was systematic filesystem level data corruption on the primary database server.
- This scrambled data was replicated to the secondary database server and into offsite backups.
- This data corruption was not detected until the system outage.
- We’ve created multiple offsite backup locations to store forum data.
- These data snapshots are now taken several times per day.
- Full backups are retained indefinitely on different storage media.
- Backups are tested for data integrity and verified through successful restores in a staging environment.
If you have any outstanding issues, please send an email to support[at]trendyent.com or send me a private message. We’ll help you as soon as possible.
In the meantime, I’ll be working closely with all of you to help rebuild what was lost. If you lost a guide, suggestion, feedback thread or a sticky thread and do not have a local copy, please email josh.isom[at]trendyent[dot]com, and I will work with you to rewrite it. If you would like to help the community with the rebuilding process, reach out to those who lost something and give a helping hand. We’ve created a thread here for players to offer their support.