Greetings, Defenders! With the upcoming Defense Council expansion, we wanted to kick off a series of blogs highlighting our vision of the future of this community and Dungeon Defenders II. So without further adieu...
A New Community Site
First, in the coming weeks we will be launching a new community site! This site will help prepare us for the future -- complete integration between Community and Game accounts for Dungeon Defenders II. And that future is on...
Steam! Starting soon, Dungeon Defenders II will be accessible only through Steam. There will be no additional login required for the game. In fact, you’ll even be able to log into the new Community site directly with your Steam credentials. If you already have a community account (I hope I’m looking at all of you), you’ll be able to directly link your Steam account to your existing Community account when the new site launches!
This new community site will also help facilitate better communication between you and us. We have a ton of exciting features in the pipeline for you to influence Dungeon Defenders II directly through the Community (and soon, the game itself!).
Here are a few of the new site features:
- Steam Integration
- Twitch & Youtube Integration
- Dedicated Community Guides Section
- Mobile-Friendly Scaling
- ...and a ton more!
To accommodate this switch, at some point in the next few weeks, all of the Dungeon Defenders sites we’ll be down for maintenance to migrate all of your data and make the switch.
An Online Experience
As all of you know, Dungeon Defenders II has been built from the ground up as a free to play, online experience. This is a growing space, and there are very right and very wrong ways to approach it. We recognize this and are working night and day to do this the right way. We’re developing Dungeon Defenders II with a gameplay-first approach, and as we get deeper into some of these elements we will be including all of you to make sure we do it right. We will not compromise the gameplay experience for anything.
To that end, there will be no alternate overlay present in Dungeon Defenders II on Steam. Social interactions will be done through Steam. How you interact with other players is essential to your enjoyment of Dungeon Defenders, and you will be able to do that in the way most comfortable for you. At a later date, if we bring Dungeon Defenders II to other platforms, we will be assessing very carefully how you can interact with these other players.
We’re planning to distribute content for Dungeon Defenders II directly through Steam. Additionally, we will be testing multiple region support to improve the experience of players from various regions around the world. This is a feature that we will be testing throughout the Defense Council and Early Access periods of the game to see how well it works with our early matchmaking pools.
Just The Start
As always, all of this is just the start. We will be iterating on each of these features with your help. We’re sure there will be plenty of room for improvement once we go live, and we’re excited to work with you on all of these features as we work on Dungeon Defenders II.
Are you excited for the new Community site? Do you like the idea of logging in with your Steam account? Let us know what you think below!
The DD2 pre-alpha code winners from our previous blogs are:
- DD2 Tavern Blog: Venaien
- DD2 Tavern Blog: panqz
- Spec Nodes Blog: Mashka (Idea: Tesla Stance -- While the monk is in the field of an electric aura, he inflicts extra electrical damage.)
- Spec Nodes Blog: Arkoonius (Idea: Martial Foresight -- The Monk's experience in martial arts have trained the reflexes of his body and reaction time of his mind. He has a chance to dodge attacks that are done to his front (he has no chance at dodging attacks that he is not facing). More points will result in a high chance of dodging.)
- Spec Nodes Blog: DrFruitsalad (Idea: Flameburst Crowd Control -- Each time it hits an enemy, the projectile splits in two and hits two nearby enemies for reduced damage. Higher levels of this spec would increase the secondary projectile damage and/or allow the secondary projectiles to split.)
- We’ll explore the potential of adding these spec node ideas into the game, but no promises!
Answer the questions above about the new Community site, and you could win a pre-alpha code for Dungeon Defenders II! We’ll pick TWO random posters and reveal the winners next week. You have a full week to leave a comment. Don’t have a forum account? It takes less than a minute to join the community!