The Pets & Dragons Update hatches on April 28th, and we’re showing it off early with the help from The Casters Guild!
This Friday at 5PM EDT, tune into our Devstream to get a sneak peek at some of the new maps coming your way. Then on Sunday and Monday, watch The Casters Guild play the update in its entirety! We’ll have more details of The Casters Guild update playthrough in a post later this week.
What’s in the update? The major highlights include:
- Dragons (Actually, she’s a wyvern…)
- Skill Spheres, our new character specialization system
Read on to hear from our developers about this last week of preparation and to see this week’s Casters Guild schedule.
Dev Log 20: April 22, 2015
Daniel Haddad, Creative Director (Blacksmith)
Wrapping up the sprint with everybody! Working super hard to squash bugs and make sure things are as good as they can possibly be before releasing this massive update to you guys. Coming April 28th to a Steam client near you.
Danny Araya, Creative Director (DannyAraya)
We’re almost there. You guys are gonna lose your minds when this patch is released!
Jay Twining, Senior Game Designer (TrendyJayT)
Sprint to the finish!
Chris James, Lead Level Designer (ceejeh)
We’re on the final stretch of polish and bug fixing before we get the new content out to you! It’s been a few fun few months working on this update. We’re both excited to hear what you think, and also looking forward to planning The Next Big Thing.
Javier Barreto, Lead Software Programmer (javo)
There’s an English proverb that goes, ”The longest mile is the last one.” (Or something like that.) I can remember a few occasions in my life on which it would hold true, and this will probably become one of them.
We are making our best to get this as polished as we can and stable; an update this big is no minor task to stabilize. I hope you guys enjoy the effort. =) And do I ever love bacon! Have I mentioned that already? I don’t think I have…
Abraham Abdala, Lead Tech Animator (Broham)
Bug fixing mode. Waiting for final audio, to render final cinematics. Getting ready for a lot of documentation for our pipelines.
Joshua Javaheri, Lead Tech Artist (javahawk)
Polishing the UIs. Working with our talented VFX Artist Joseph Joyal to complete this round of VFX for our new encounters, weapons and some really cool new special stats. It’s going to be an amazing update!
Chris Flores, QA Lead (likethatwhenigothere)
Trying to get fixed the last 2 or 3 billion bugs left before the update.
James Reid, Software Programmer (Driscan)
I’m not sure I have much more soul to give to this update. I’ve poured so much into it. We’re talking 16-18 hour days 6 days a week for the last couple of weeks. While we were encouraged to do some extra time, every one of us went above and beyond to make this the best possible patch we could. I have to give my fellow co-workers a huge pat on the back because they have kicked ass and taken names this update.
With that said, this week I’m trying to put the finishing touches on the Pet UIs and make sure everything works correctly. The QA department has been/will be my friend this week. (Those guys rock.)
I’m about halfway through Daredevil (not sure how I managed to find time to watch that much). I want to binge watch the rest of it! Sometimes when my code is compiling, I’ll slip a race or two of Mario Kart 7 in on my 3DS. Relevant comic. (Yes, I have the shirt of this.)
Adam Stow, Associate Producer (@TE-Stow)
Back in action after a lovely honeymoon abroad where we managed to get lost in St. Kitts and drink beers with locals. This week will largely be getting reacquainted with the current state of the patch and supporting it, while making sure we’ve got our ducks, skins and heroes in a row for the following content update’s schedule.
Enrique Rivera, Concept Artist (3nrique)
Working on some fun weapons designs...for the FUUuuUUTURE!!! Also, it’s been very inspiring to see the amount of love and hard worked poured on to this next patch by everyone in the studio. I really hope you guys like it!
Jesus Diaz, World Builder (N3oDoc)
Still working on the canyon level. Adding some final touches!
Daniel Diaz, World Builder (DanielKaMi)
Still working on the new canyon level. We’re focusing now on the small details and the OOB (out-of-bound areas).
Dani Moore, Remote QA Manager (Dani)
A war is fought one battle at a time. Each victory is a step closer to peace, each defeat a painful and costly lesson learned.
P.S. <3 Daredevil
Philip Asher, Marketing Director (pmasher)
So busy. This patch is going to be huge.
Josh Isom, Community Manager (iamisom)
Introducing the new DD2 wiki! This wiki is administrated and maintained by you, our passionate Defenders. The wiki is still under heavy construction (primarily the Main Page and the site’s CSS), but feel free to edit any information as you see fit. If you have any comments or concerns about the wiki, please head to this thread and let us know!
My favorite forum threads this week:
Official Trendy Entertainment Streams
Weekly Defense, 1:00 pm EDT to 2:00 pm EDT
- This week, iamisom and Kraith88 journey into Free Play Hard Mode!
Devstream 17, 5:00 pm EDT to 6:00 pm EDT
- We're showing you some of the newest features in the Pets & Dragons patch, plus Betsy is revealed!
The Casters Guild Stream Schedule
Kiraeyl, 7:00 am EDT to 9:00 am EDT
- Join Kira in discussion on strategy, teamwork, and lore as we kick back and enjoy a cup of coffee (or tea if you prefer) during her morning stream!
LovinDaTacos, 12:30 pm EDT to 6:00 pm EDT
Piggyteehee, 8:00 pm EDT to 10:00 pm EDT
- Piggyteehee will be farming some end game content and experimenting with new items and set ups.
Dagnom, 10:00 am EDT to 1:00 pm EDT
- Dagnom will be deleting, yes DELETING his characters to give a true "new player" experience to his stream. Come join in on the educational fun!
Cboxhero, 5:30 pm EDT to 7:30 pm EDT
Elandrian, 10:00 pm EDT to 1:00 am EDT
- Join Elandrian as he theorycrafts and tries to navigate through the harder content. He’ll be focusing on gearing his characters and testing new end-game builds.
Kiraeyl, 7:00 am EDT to 9:00 am EDT
- Kira will continue to focus on strategy, teamwork, and lore. Respectful discussion is always welcome! Playing with viewers is welcome!
Ara_gaming, 12:00 pm EDT to 3:00 pm EDT
djbouti_dan, 7:00 pm EDT to 9:00 pm EDT
Dagnom, 10:00 am EDT to 12:00 pm EDT
- Dagnom will be continuing his "New" journey through the game with the courage of the Tin Man from Oz, come join in the fun!
Kraith88, 2:00 pm EDT to 4:00 pm EDT
- Kraith will be continuing his week long hard mode class challenges. Kraith will take a brand new Apprentice through the hard-mode campaign.
PhoenixHydra, 6:00 pm EDT to 11:00 pm EDT
- PhoenixHydra will be accepting invites from viewers and farming Legendary items.
VitamiinB, 11:00 am EDT to 1:00 pm EDT
- Vitamiinb will be farming for legendary items, and finally getting his second Monk to level 25. He will also be playing with viewers that want to play.
Piggyteehee, 3:00 pm EDT to 5:00 pm EDT
- Piggyteehee will be on the legendary grind to optimize his Monk and Huntress.
Kraith88, 6:00 pm EDT to 8:00 pm EDT
- Kraith will continue looking for those elusive legendary items that Malthius has hidden. "Damn you, Malthius! All your loot will belong to me!"
Victoryoftheppl, 12:00 pm EDT to 2:00 pm EDT
- Victory will be working to level up her Huntress and Apprentice as she begins to learn the in’s and out’s of the game. Any help appreciated!
Petire50, 8:00 pm EDT to 10:00 pm EDT
oISketcHIo, 1:00 am EDT to 3:00 am EDT
djbouti_dan, 11:00 am EDT to 3:00 pm EDT
Elandrian, 7:00 pm EDT to 9:00 pm EDT
- Elandrian will be returning again to group up with friends and viewers alike. Join him this Sunday as he levels new characters and explores new builds.